Help with PC purchase for Adam Szabo Viper synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you want to demo Viper, you can setup Windows system inside Virtualbox, download VirtualBox Appliance

https://www.virtualbox.org/
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/m ... tools/vms/

and than import and tweak it further to your liking, maybe give it more RAM or CPU cores

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axqiuZ883A8

from there download demo of some DAW like FL Studio to host Viper in it and of course download the Viper demo

BONES wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:02 am
jasonekratz wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:00 pmDon’t want to hijack the thread but just curious, is Viper that good? I listened to some of the demo videos on the website and it sounds great, but it doesn’t sound like anything much different than Dune or the like. So what would the selling point be to buy a PC dedicated to it?
I think it's the Virus connection. Adam is trying to get it to be able to load Virus patches which, as you can imagine, would interest a lot of people. The other thing is that it is half the price of DUNE or most of those "other" things. Of course, that is somewhat negated by the need to buy a whole computer to run it from. I bought it because it sounds quite nice, is easy to use and it's cheap. But I bought JP6K at the same time and I use that 10 times more than I use Viper. I'll get to Viper eventually, though, I'm sure.
Ah interesting. Had no idea he wants to be able to load Virus patches. Can definitely see the interest there. And it does sound great from what I'm hearing but for me personally what I hear in the vids sounds like stuff both DUNE and Spire can already do and I have owned those for years.

Definitely cheaper though both Dune and Spire go on sale (Spire far more often) that brings the price down quite a bit. You're right though if you're buying a new computer to run it on it not only negates it but makes it a lot more expensive ;) But hey, if the OP has the $$ and wants to run Viper than go for it. Certainly isn't going to be a mistake in the sound department.

It's definitely expensive (although I got it as a gift for a magazine subscription... 69 € for a one year subscription plus Spire), and, I'm not sure if it's "worth the money", but, it's my favorite synth since years.

jasonekratz wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:37 am
chk071 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:13 pm Demo'd Viper. Thought that Spire sounds better. Passed on it.

I was quite interested in it when I heard that it emulates the Virus, but, I was a bit disappointed, TBH.

By alle means, demo it yourself though. Just my opinion on it.
I'd have to run a PC for it as well as I'm on a Mac like the OP. Which is kinda why I'm asking because to me I didn't hear anything that Dune or Spire couldn't do. It seems like a lot of work so genuinely curious why the effort and $$ to dedicate a machine totally to this one VST.
Oh... I didn't even realize that this is supposed to be a machine dedicated to run Viper. :) Well, that's quite a stretch indeed, but, to each his own.

I am curious as to how the OP plans to get multiple instances of Viper on a separate machine. I thought that required its use within a DAW.
I may be wrong?

I assume he will use some basic VST wrapper or other.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I hope he will reconsider his initial plan and go with AudioGridder route I proposed, it makes much more sense in every way.

Could use tone2 NanoHost as well.

chk071 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:36 am
jasonekratz wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:37 am
chk071 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:13 pm Demo'd Viper. Thought that Spire sounds better. Passed on it.

I was quite interested in it when I heard that it emulates the Virus, but, I was a bit disappointed, TBH.

By alle means, demo it yourself though. Just my opinion on it.
I'd have to run a PC for it as well as I'm on a Mac like the OP. Which is kinda why I'm asking because to me I didn't hear anything that Dune or Spire couldn't do. It seems like a lot of work so genuinely curious why the effort and $$ to dedicate a machine totally to this one VST.
Oh... I didn't even realize that this is supposed to be a machine dedicated to run Viper. :) Well, that's quite a stretch indeed, but, to each his own.
Well, probably cheaper than getting a real Virus and more flexibility for sure.

jasonekratz wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:43 pm Could use tone2 NanoHost as well.
Oh yeah, there's Pluginguru's Unify too, Bidule and stuff like that, can they host Windows plugins inside of macOS?

If they can, that might be the best option. :tu:

Passing Bye wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:50 pm
jasonekratz wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:43 pm Could use tone2 NanoHost as well.
Oh yeah, there's Pluginguru's Unify too, Bidule and stuff like that, can they host Windows plugins inside of macOS?

If they can, that might be the best option. :tu:
NanoHost is Windows only but OP could possibly get multiple instances of Viper that way if he goes the Windows machine route. NanoHost is free as well.

Yeah, but it just host for plugin on Windows to be used in Windows, AudioGridder does much more, host plugin on one machine that can be used on other.

Thanks everyone for your help in this but based on my budget far exceeding initial $500 now moving into the $1000 + range, i decided it made more sense to purchase a new Ti2. Just got it today :wheee:

What's a "Ti2"?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Virus Ti2 synth what Viper is modeled after

Return to “Instruments”