List of your favourite sounds/presets (give examples)

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So you can go craze to replicate this and use automation to exaggerate the vibrato more or less at certain stages and the volume and a whole lot more. At the very end I reverse the sample and you can hear that that's most likely how it was played but the reversed.

https://vimeo.com/563357665
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

So you chose to work some further on your own synth version. Astonishing how you could recreate the sound with your patch.

Still my question about the sample has not yet been answered. It was a sound design question about the sampling technique / editing technique they used back then:
How could I make the sound if I only took the sample sound itself and were to manipulate it?
If you imagine they didn't have Vital back then and only edited the sample itself? How?
C'mon, there must be something that you do in your life besides sleeping or working? And then for the first time he was really thinking and what did he reply: I watch TV!

CHOOS wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:29 pm So you can go craze to replicate this and use automation to exaggerate the vibrato more or less at certain stages and the volume and a whole lot more. At the very end I reverse the sample and you can hear that that's most likely how it was played but the reversed.

https://vimeo.com/563357665
Hi Choos.. very Interesting! ! I am now on a next mission.. I am look8ng to replicate the synth organ type sound on Leila K Open Sesame... do you think this is possible? The closest I could find in my reseach was that a Rock Organ sound was used on a Roland Jv2080 but.. I could not find which patch as it sounds very layerd.. I do sure hope it can be done on a synth like vital or serum.. Its like the search I did for the organ synth sound of felix-don't you want me.. the search ended when I found that that Particular organ sound was done on a Roland Jx1 synth... apparently only that specific Roland synth had that specific sound and no other Roland iteration there after..

Aha
It's most likely simple cutting and pasting parts you like from the original sound/song

I'm sure it wasn't manipulatesld from one note or anything

So which part would you cut away or rearrange for this concrete example? Can you show me? Obviously something from the beginning if you compare with the sounds in the original song?

The notes you found out match what I found out when I analyzed it in an external program.
I also slowed down the tempo without changing the pitch for this (time stretching), just like you did it. :tu:

But I did not quite understand what you meant at the end of your video.
Why did you reverse a snippet of the sample (playback in the opposite direction from end to start)? Was that part of some rearrangement you would suggest? Should this part be put to the beginning?
Could you show me how you would edit this sample? It's what I've been after all the time. I still have to learn this and it seems very important in sound design to be able to edit samples, too.

(Trivia: This flute sound has inspired me to play a bit on my recorder again. I must refresh my memory for some of the finger positions on the recorder. But those extremely fast grace notes at the beginning won't be too easy!)
C'mon, there must be something that you do in your life besides sleeping or working? And then for the first time he was really thinking and what did he reply: I watch TV!

So which part would you cut away or rearrange for this concrete example? Can you show me? Obviously something from the beginning if you compare with the sounds in the original song?

OK I think I get what you mean. I think that the original song either had a recorder flute song or someone played a flute for them. So the cutting and pasting would be from the audio that they had. Doing this in midi is very difficult and time consuming.

The notes you found out match what I found out when I analyzed it in an external program.
I also slowed down the tempo without changing the pitch for this (time stretching), just like you did it. :tu:

If you timestretch you should be able to keep pitch but how is different in every DAW but that way you know for sure which notes but it can sound quite strange

But I did not quite understand what you meant at the end of your video.
Why did you reverse a snippet of the sample (playback in the opposite direction from end to start)? Was that part of some rearrangement you would suggest? Should this part be put to the beginning?
Could you show me how you would edit this sample? It's what I've been after all the time. I still have to learn this and it seems very important in sound design to be able to edit samples, too.

I reversed it because I believe that they reversed it in the song so that it's now "normal" when I reverse it so you hear the breath/noise first, then the flute tone.
It would be a matter of getting a piece of played flute audio and play around till you get something you like just like how you see people making vocal chops on youtube.
Throw shit at the wall and see what sticks.

(Trivia: This flute sound has inspired me to play a bit on my recorder again. I must refresh my memory for some of the finger positions on the recorder. But those extremely fast grace notes at the beginning won't be too easy!)

Good times!

From me, traditionally something from Eurodance and electronic music from the 90's.
Culture Beat Mr Vain main lead. Kind of a simple wave of saw, but I can't do anything on the VST plugs that resembles the one from this song.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AER3Zg5S200

juno987654321 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:24 am Still my question about the sample has not yet been answered. It was a sound design question about the sampling technique / editing technique they used back then:
How could I make the sound if I only took the sample sound itself and were to manipulate it?
If you imagine they didn't have Vital back then and only edited the sample itself? How?
Just modulate the sample start position using modwheel. Map something like 0%..8% of the original sample length to full modwheel range. Then you can play the whole flute part live by controlling the onset character of the sound with your left hand on modwheel and right hand playing the notes.

bluesawsq wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:19 pm ...
Ah, you again! Hi!
This could be the right technique I was looking for, yes. I also think that the onset character actually changes throughout the song BUT that they did use the E-Mu 2 sample throughout. It's really just the onset that changes. Sometimes you hear more of the onset from the sample, sometimes less, but most often (because of the shorter notes) less.

I have a good first impression of that free sample player I found called TX16Wx. Maybe it could do such modulations but this is all still new to me. I'll have to explore it a bit.

What player would you then actually use for such live performances?
Is there a free one you could recommend?

Culture Beat - Mr Vain Lead
https://vimeo.com/564951481

Hi Choos.. hope you had a awesome weekend and Happy Fathers day!

Could you please share the preset of Mr Vain that you did?

A brilliant job Choos. The differences are not big and you can smuggle the Eurodance sound into the modern EDM.

surreal wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:31 pm Hi Choos.. hope you had a awesome weekend and Happy Fathers day!
Thanks bud!
Shit I never saved the preset but it's easy enough to replicate with any synth if you follow along the video. Might actually be easier with just an eq.

CHOOS wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:51 pm
surreal wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:31 pm Hi Choos.. hope you had a awesome weekend and Happy Fathers day!
Thanks bud!
Shit I never saved the preset but it's easy enough to replicate with any synth if you follow along the video. Might actually be easier with just an eq.
No problems. . My other pet chase was to try a replicate the bass of Mr Vain! :phones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqQ0GQLxW-o

the lead synth chord sounds @ 1: 56-1:58 min. ?
It's a German classic from the 80ies.

Return to “Sound Design”