How this pad/fx was made ?

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wow, this was quite impressive and new to me. I think I got your message: The envelopes seem to shape the sound very precicely whereas our chord sound - if shaped or swept with Serum's bandpass filter - will result in a more vague sound that will be somewhat less exact because some frequencies will seep through that here won't. Additive synthesis is made to shape all the partials very exactly which allows for better fine tuning.
Now I have some kind of an impression why additive synthesis may with some specific sounds be the best choice.
I heard that they also often use additive synthesis to emulate real instruments quite successfully. So that could be another special case that sometimes calls for additive synthesis?

(Funny how much I have on my to-do-list: modular synth, sampling techniques, additive synths... Still I am hardly finished with subtractive synth yet. OK, my dear brain, I promise you only to dive into additive synths later...)
C'mon, there must be something that you do in your life besides sleeping or working? And then for the first time he was really thinking and what did he reply: I watch TV!

commenting o stay in tune, have the same questions

intresting sound

bluesawsq wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:31 pm
juno987654321 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:15 pm I think I got your message now. The chords in our example are perfect fifths of sine waves. In this case there's an alternative method to create them via additive synth.
I tried this. You suggest an alternative way of getting the chords in one sound by starting with the 8th harmonic and cancelling the fundamental (because otherwise we couldn't proceed in intervals of fifths). The volocities would then all be 100 % up. We could then recompensate by shifting down the osc 3 octaves again.
In the end that will result in exactly the same sound without having to type in the chords in our DAWs, so it is more elegant, but it will result in exactly the same chord of sine waves nonetheless.
Yes, the basic sound of multiple sines at perfect fifth intervals is exactly the same.
But with additive synthesis you can also manipulate those partials in a more flexible way.
And the end result will be closer to the original than just a chord of sines in subtractive synth.
This video shows how to recreate the sound in additive synth, Razor:
https://vimeo.com/556639078
wow, need to look to Razor more. Have it but don't use it

Return to “Sound Design”