Is it a great time for guitar buying or not?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Covid 19 restrictions are slowly becoming a thing of the past. Guitar companies told us that many were taking up the guitars to fill their time. Fender tells us that 90% of new players give up playing guitar in the first year. What this means (if true) is that there will be a glut in the market for cheap used guitars. Are they worth it? It's been my experience that new players and cheap buyers are less than respectful to their guitars.

Meanwhile inflation is at the highest it's been in 15 years and continues to climb. Yes it's going to affect the price of all new guitars and gear.

I'm no longer a collector of guitars. I'm thankful I did my buying when I did.

What do you think is happening with the guitar market and how is that going to affect your further purchases?
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

My collecting days are over. I'm trying to sell two guitars at the moment, but they're both not cheap, and the only nibbles I've had so far have been scammers. I don't know what the market is like for cheapies. The guitars I'm selling are priced competitively, but they're in perfect condition and I'm not giving them away. No serious bites, even though the ads are marked 'negotiable.' Just have to be patient.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

give it a few months you can get them from here for a bag of rice.

vurt wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:13 pm give it a few months you can get them from here for a bag of rice.
Right now we could do with a bag of rice in this house.

:(

I've found generally no. Whether covid interest or inflation, the resale markets I track are still pricey compared to last year

It's a bad time for buying and selling music gear overall. There's less available on the used market to buy and what's out there is generally overpriced. Seller's are simply pricing themselves out of the market. I used to buy a fair amount of gear directly from Japan but something drastic must have happened to the rate of currency exchange. Japanese listings are like quadruple what they used to be. Buying, refurbishing and re-selling gear used to be a big chunk of my income. If I still had to rely on it I'd be screwed. Fortunately, I saw the writing on the wall and moved on to more lucrative pursuits.

It was starting to come back....a little but this latest surge of the COVID D variant is screwing it all up again.
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

If you're patient it's a good market. Some people especially younger people strapped for cash are selling their instruments on the low end because of the pandemic.

The second hand price has become high. In most cases too high. It seems most rely on what other set their prices on Reverb.com as a benchmark. I've seen many cases ppl try to sell their guitar for twice the price you could sell e.g a ESP Eclipse 2-3 years ago and some even with a lot of dents on and worn frets. I mean come on. I would rather buy a new one than paying someone their fantasy prices. And of course there's the other way round. Doesn't matter how cheap I set the price when selling something guitar related. Some are trying to bargain down the price anyway even though I write the price applies in the ad. And some try to bargain away the shipping price if it needs to be shipped to another part of the country.

Return to “Guitars”