Why does Microsoft hate us (#@$ Windows 10)

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
KVRAF
13010 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Post Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:48 pm

Pictus wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:52 pm
To disable Windows updates and the related crappy services/tasks it is easy.
https://www.sordum.org/9470/windows-upd ... cker-v1-6/
Select "Disable Updates" with "Protect Services Settings"
click in "Apply Now" and reboot.
Image
So I've used some things like this from time to time, and I have no reason to specifically criticize this particular offering, but, this is really right at the crux of the problem with commercial operating systems.

You shouldn't have to think about whether you trust some third party vendor offering some sketchy little app on their website. You're paying for an OS, it should be friendly to you. Therein lies the problem really, because you're not really paying for it anymore, you are the product.

With open source operating systems at least the majority of tools are open source and so, while that's no guarantee that bullshit doesn't get inserted from time to time, at least you have the many eyes phenomenon on your side.

This is, at least in part, what this thread is about. This trend has been more and more aggressively pursued over the last decade. This is why people are thinking that Win7 or Win8 might be better choices. They're not going to get anything but security fixes so at least you're stuck in time with respect to the ongoing fight to get your data in the cloud and to force you to tolerate the constant advertising of cloud services disguised as friendly convenience reminders.

User avatar
GRRRRRRR!
11898 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:14 pm

Pictus wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:52 pm
To disable Windows updates and the related crappy services/tasks it is easy.
https://www.sordum.org/9470/windows-upd ... cker-v1-6/
Select "Disable Updates" with "Protect Services Settings"
click in "Apply Now" and reboot.
Image
That seems like a shit-ton more work than just letting the thing update when it needs to. Plus it adds bloat to your system. i.e. It is the very thing you seek to avoid.
NOVAkILL : Dell G7 Core i7, 32GB RAM, Win10, Zoom U24 | Studio One | JP6K, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, ARP Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Knifonium, Thorn, Equator, VG Carbon, Invader, Concept | Uno Pro Desktop, Uno, Rocket.

KVRian
1290 posts since 16 Apr, 2004

Post Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:38 pm

BONES wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:14 pm
Pictus wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:52 pm
To disable Windows updates and the related crappy services/tasks it is easy.
https://www.sordum.org/9470/windows-upd ... cker-v1-6/
Select "Disable Updates" with "Protect Services Settings"
click in "Apply Now" and reboot.
Image
That seems like a shit-ton more work than just letting the thing update when it needs to. Plus it adds bloat to your system. i.e. It is the very thing you seek to avoid.
not to mention that these types of installs can often lead to instabilities which are then blamed on the operating system instead of the tweak.

User avatar
KVRian
567 posts since 21 Aug, 2017 from Brasil

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:11 am

BONES wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:14 pm
That seems like a shit-ton more work than just letting the thing update when it needs to. Plus it adds bloat to your system. i.e. It is the very thing you seek to avoid.
How to just click in "Apply Now" is a ton of work? :o
No bloat, 100% just the other way around...
It is a simple executable that disables some services/tasks.
JamminFool wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:38 pm
not to mention that these types of installs can often lead to instabilities which are then blamed on the operating system instead of the tweak.
No, 100% just the other way around and no install needed...
It will also disable WaasMedic which is known to cause some
problems for some users...

User avatar
KVRian
861 posts since 6 Jun, 2016 from San Marcos, Texas

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:18 am

I used to keep a blog about how to disable and remove various fu*kery from Windows ... It was fun for a while until I realized how fruitless it all was. Things like the Malicious software Removal Tool (MRT) would just come back after while, no matter what you did--that's the OEM tool which indexes your HDD and sends it off to MS for detection of malicious software ... Hah! Whatever, no big deal.

Thing is, if you want to run, or have to run Windows, you really should do it their way. Otherwise, you're just in some fiduciary state, reaping very little in the way of a better experience. There's little sense in fighting it on their grounds, within their OS. The same goes for Mac ... No such thing as a virgin whore I might say.

User avatar
KVRian
567 posts since 21 Aug, 2017 from Brasil

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:43 pm

lunardigs wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:18 am
I used to keep a blog about how to disable and remove various fu*kery from Windows ... It was fun for a while until I realized how fruitless it all was. Things like the Malicious software Removal Tool (MRT) would just come back after while, no matter what you did--that's the OEM tool which indexes your HDD and sends it off to MS for detection of malicious software ... Hah! Whatever, no big deal.

Thing is, if you want to run, or have to run Windows, you really should do it their way. Otherwise, you're just in some fiduciary state, reaping very little in the way of a better experience. There's little sense in fighting it on their grounds, within their OS. The same goes for Mac ... No such thing as a virgin whore I might say.
Sometimes updates will bring some stuff back...
But here I created a castrated Windows installation ISO with https://www.ntlite.com/
without a lot of stuff like Defender/MRT/ETC and they never came back.

User avatar
GRRRRRRR!
11898 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:53 pm

Pictus wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:11 am
How to just click in "Apply Now" is a ton of work? :o
What? So this tool is already installed on every computer, with a shortcut somewhere where anyone can go straight to it without any effort at all? Who knew?
No bloat, 100% just the other way around...
It is a simple executable that disables some services/tasks.
... that don't take up any meaningful amount of your resources anyway.
NOVAkILL : Dell G7 Core i7, 32GB RAM, Win10, Zoom U24 | Studio One | JP6K, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, ARP Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Knifonium, Thorn, Equator, VG Carbon, Invader, Concept | Uno Pro Desktop, Uno, Rocket.

User avatar
KVRian
861 posts since 6 Jun, 2016 from San Marcos, Texas

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:33 pm

Pictus wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:43 pm
lunardigs wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:18 am
I used to keep a blog about how to disable and remove various fu*kery from Windows ... It was fun for a while until I realized how fruitless it all was. Things like the Malicious software Removal Tool (MRT) would just come back after while, no matter what you did--that's the OEM tool which indexes your HDD and sends it off to MS for detection of malicious software ... Hah! Whatever, no big deal.

Thing is, if you want to run, or have to run Windows, you really should do it their way. Otherwise, you're just in some fiduciary state, reaping very little in the way of a better experience. There's little sense in fighting it on their grounds, within their OS. The same goes for Mac ... No such thing as a virgin whore I might say.
Sometimes updates will bring some stuff back...
But here I created a castrated Windows installation ISO with https://www.ntlite.com/
without a lot of stuff like Defender/MRT/ETC and they never came back.
Wow ... Nice work! Despite my feelings toward Win/MS, I can appreciate what you've done here.

KVRAF
4520 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Post Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:15 am


KVRAF
5382 posts since 24 May, 2002 from Tutukaka, New Zealand

Post Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:38 pm

Seriously never had update problems. They seem to be pretty quick nowadays, and I'm only on VDSL (no Fibre where we live). They've never disrupted me working on anything...I just reschedule if I have to. I'm probably lucky in that I don't have any sw licenses that rely on the pc...exactly why dongles never bothered me. Updates on Win10 have never broken anything I use. TBH Win10 has been the smoothest OS so far for me. :pray:

KVRian
1078 posts since 23 Sep, 2004 from there

Post Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:59 am

So the background downloader doesnt anymore hog CPU like no end? Good to know...
Soft Knees at Bandcamp
Soft Knees - Demoscene - Live 10 - Diva - Omnisphere - Slate Digital VSX etc.

User avatar
KVRian
1479 posts since 10 Jul, 2008 from Orbit Sol III

Post Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:04 pm

I use Libre Office for spreadsheets and the like. Today i tried to open a spreadsheet in Libre Office and got a splash page to sign up for Office 365. Wtf? No, i don’t want Office 365 hence i changed all the file defaults. Ok, annoying enough but when i close out it drops me into another similar page. Best part: when i close out of the second page it just closes up and i’m left on my desktop. Yeah, sure, whatever you say- win 10 sux, plain an simple. I’ll waste a few mins/hrs trying to open my file… It’s not what w10 is missing, it’s all the bs that it does when it should just Operate the System. I have a different machine, it has an old OS w7. Admittedly it’s no prize but it does stay the hell out of my way a good deal more than w10. I’ve already spent quite a bit of time screwing around with w10.

Edit: it took me all of 15secs to right click and open with…
But still, that’s bs.
gadgets an gizmos...make noise
https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness

KVRist

Topic Starter

101 posts since 2 Mar, 2018

Post Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:16 pm

JamminFool wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:59 am
did you choose to use Windows? or are you being coerced somehow? if it is a choice, stop bitching, and start switching.
My workplace offers us incredible deals on machines but we have no choice other than Win 10, so while technically it is a choice, I can't really afford not to take advantage of that. As for "bitching," if I think a product sucks, I'm going to say so. Excuse me for having an opinion. If you don't like it, go elsewhere or simply don't read my posts.
if you are puking your drinks out of your nose over statements re: windows stability, then perhaps you should consider that there are plenty of other people not suffering the same experience and realize that the problem may lie with you or your system somehow.
Yeah Win 10 sucking is all my fault, that's the ticket. Maybe you should consider that there are plenty of other people who are suffering bad experiences. It's not like I'm some isolated rare case.
if it was as bad as the experience you describe for everyone,
? I never said everyone had the same experience.
you are just focused on your bad experience. that sucks for you, i agree. but it doesn't make sense for you to pretend that your experience should be taken seriously, when you won't accept that others have different experiences. it's not all about you all the time.
I give up, what the hell are you talking about? I never said everyone has the same experience as me. You really need to work on your reading comprehension.
and on a side note: SSD are fairly mainstream for quite a while now. Are you somewhere remote such that you might not realize this?
Yes, they are now, but that is a relatively recent transition. It wasn't long ago they were only in more expensive machines.

KVRist

Topic Starter

101 posts since 2 Mar, 2018

Post Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:25 pm

BONES wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:53 pm
That's right, completely ignore the point that updates are neither annoying nor an inconvenience.
You are the one ignoring a point - that your opinion does not equal fact.
As I said, they happen in the background without requiring any input form the user and without causing any level of inconvenience whatsoever.
What the hell are YOU talking about? For changes to take effect, you have to reboot. Maybe you don't find that inconvenient, but again...there isn't your opinion and the wrong one.
And far from being constant, they happen once a fortnight, sometimes once a week.
Wow - if you don't find being pestered by updates once a week or more inconvenient...I guess we have very different perceptions of what "inconvenient" is. To each their own. I doubt many would agree that that is not inconvenient though.
If that's what constitutes an inconvenience, I can't imagine what you think when your phone rings while you're in front of your screen.
What a ridiculous analogy. When my phone rings, it is with rare exception someone I WANT to talk to. I never want these MS updates.
So use Linux and stop complaining.
I tried that. Too many compatibility issues with Windows-based programs (yes, even when I used Wine, etc).
Systems requirements are not the same as system resources actually used.
Well duh. And?
Nope. I actually didn't like it at first and stayed on Win 8.1 for a while, keeping Win 10 betas on a separate machine. But after the first major update it was at a standard where I made the switch on my work machine and by the third major update, it was so far ahead of anything else that I found I could hardly bear using W7 or even 8.1 any more. The only thing I really miss is Win8's extreme customisability but there is nothing at all that I miss about Windows 7 which, as I said, is the worst version of Windows I've ever used, for reasons I have explained elsewhere.
Thinking Win 7 sucked and actually preferring Win 8.1 over 10 speaks for itself.
No, SSDs have been pretty much de rigeur in laptops for a while now. My first one was in a 2008 Dell M4400.
They most certainly weren't mainstream in 2008. In fact, they weren't mainstream when I bought my system just a few years ago.

KVRist

Topic Starter

101 posts since 2 Mar, 2018

Post Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:36 pm

CrystalWizard wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:04 pm
I use Libre Office for spreadsheets and the like. Today i tried to open a spreadsheet in Libre Office and got a splash page to sign up for Office 365. Wtf? No, i don’t want Office 365 hence i changed all the file defaults. Ok, annoying enough but when i close out it drops me into another similar page. Best part: when i close out of the second page it just closes up and i’m left on my desktop. Yeah, sure, whatever you say- win 10 sux, plain an simple. I’ll waste a few mins/hrs trying to open my file… It’s not what w10 is missing, it’s all the bs that it does when it should just Operate the System. I have a different machine, it has an old OS w7. Admittedly it’s no prize but it does stay the hell out of my way a good deal more than w10. I’ve already spent quite a bit of time screwing around with w10.

Edit: it took me all of 15secs to right click and open with…
But still, that’s bs.
Don't forget how Win 10 when you first boot up the machine forces you to create an MS account and forces you to enter your DOB. Yeah wow what a great OS. :roll: Just DOB? That's it? Don't want my SSN and bank account #s too? Oh and don't forget the glory that is "S mode" that is also forced on you. (I don't know what "S" stands for, but I have my own interpretation) And on and on the BS goes.

My next system will have Win 7 on it. Serenity now!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”