Local Man - Flotsam

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
KVRian
924 posts since 31 May, 2017

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:16 am

While working on my 2nd full length album I've also been going through and archiving a bunch of old material. There are a lot of fun little ideas and sketches that I like but also realize that I will likely never get around to fully developing so I thought I'd create a series of short videos on my Youtube channel with some of these little fragments. I'm calling it Flotsam and will be updating it regularly (it's a nice diversion from the grind of fully polishing my latest project).

I thought I'd post it here because 1) it might be fun to watch this series of curious little non sequiturs and 2) I'm offering up these musical fragments to anyone who would like to use them for whatever purpose. I feel like some of this stuff could work well as bumper music for say a podcast or a youtube video. You may also find something you'd like to sample or remix for your own music. Anyway have fun with it if you'd like.
If you do use anything all that I ask is that you credit (and possibly link) Local Man wherever appropriate and that you notify me of such usage (only because it would be fun to see what you did with it!)

Anyway like I said, this will be updated regularly so I hope you find it though provoking. And as always, thanks for listening!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKBE ... TkrKg4J8tU

KVRian
694 posts since 3 Jul, 2017

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:48 am

nice ideas throughout..

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:47 pm

htcnext2 wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:48 am
nice ideas throughout..
Thanks!

KVRist
299 posts since 21 May, 2020 from germany

Post Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:00 am

fantastic!! :clap: but also a shame... :borg: that maybe there will never be a full fleshed version of them. :cry:

my favs:
- let it all out
- coming at you
- oh no, oh well

maybe there is the possibility to merge 2 tracks together to an A, B, A form? maybe with other unfinished stuff you have?

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:55 pm

tomtom1 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:00 am
fantastic!! :clap: but also a shame... :borg: that maybe there will never be a full fleshed version of them. :cry:

my favs:
- let it all out
- coming at you
- oh no, oh well

maybe there is the possibility to merge 2 tracks together to an A, B, A form? maybe with other unfinished stuff you have?
Wow, I’m really glad you enjoyed it.
It’s definitely possible that I’ll return to some of this material in the future but the reason I said that I likely wouldn’t is that there is just so much stuff in the backlog already and most of this doesn’t really feel like it would fit in thematically with some of the large scale works that are next in line.
But you’re totally right, it’s very possible that some of this material could be incorporated into other pieces that I’m working on.
But who knows when that’ll happen so I figured I might as well put out these little snippets in the mean time.
But seriously thanks for listening and for your kind and constructive words.

KVRist

Post Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:09 pm

Local Man wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:55 pm
I’m really glad you enjoyed it.
i really liked it. at the same time i am a bit jealous that your sketches have more qualities than my full tracks :tantrum: ... i am not proud of it :) (to be jealous i mean :hihi: )

may i ask, what your inspiration is? what music did you listen? maybe artists/music you had in mind during the writing? ... would be very intersting.
Last edited by tomtom1 on Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:42 pm

tomtom1 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:09 pm
Local Man wrote:
may i ask, what your inspiration is? what music did you listen? maybe artists/music you had in mind during the writing? ... would be very intersting.
My influences are pretty diverse because though I primarily make electronic music now, my music making roots are more in rock/indie rock and even hip hop production. So a lot of my writing starts off with acoustic instruments like guitar but then ultimately is translated to a more computer based electronic production workflow.
In terms of artists, number one I would say is probably Radiohead (as well as Thom Yorke solo stuff and Atoms for Peace). Though I don’t listen to them that much anymore, they were a huge influence in my formative years (sometimes I worry that influence is a little too transparent).
Other than that my influences are all over the place.
From classic rock like ELO and The Beach Boys to electronic stuff like Aphex Twin and Boards of Canada. Like I said, a lot of hip hop, A Tribe Called Quest, MF Doom. A lot of vintage electronic stuff, Kraftwerk, Perrey & Kingsley, CAN.
A lot of indie rock/pop stuff too. Postal Service, of Montreal, Pavement.
I’ve also studied music a bit and went through phases were I was heavy into Classical and Jazz. Stuff like Tchaikovsky and Dvorak and Miles Davis and Charles Mingus.
I don’t know, a lot of obvious music nerd type stuff but from a wide range of genres and eras I guess.

KVRist

Post Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:30 am

Local Man wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:42 pm
tomtom1 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:09 pm
Local Man wrote:
My influences are pretty diverse because though I primarily make electronic music now, my music making roots are more in rock/indie rock and even hip hop production. So a lot of my writing starts off with acoustic instruments like guitar but then ultimately is translated to a more computer based electronic production workflow.
In terms of artists, number one I would say is probably Radiohead (as well as Thom Yorke solo stuff and Atoms for Peace). Though I don’t listen to them that much anymore, they were a huge influence in my formative years (sometimes I worry that influence is a little too transparent).
Other than that my influences are all over the place.
From classic rock like ELO and The Beach Boys to electronic stuff like Aphex Twin and Boards of Canada. Like I said, a lot of hip hop, A Tribe Called Quest, MF Doom. A lot of vintage electronic stuff, Kraftwerk, Perrey & Kingsley, CAN.
A lot of indie rock/pop stuff too. Postal Service, of Montreal, Pavement.
I’ve also studied music a bit and went through phases were I was heavy into Classical and Jazz. Stuff like Tchaikovsky and Dvorak and Miles Davis and Charles Mingus.
I don’t know, a lot of obvious music nerd type stuff but from a wide range of genres and eras I guess.
thanks for your reply. it's really interesting. if find time i will listen to some artists you mention (which i don't know yet). keep doing your stuff - to me it sounds like an original that could have been created in the "area" around my favourite artists. :tu:

KVRist
44 posts since 15 Jun, 2021 from Brazil

Post Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:47 am

Lots of good stuff there. In my learning process, ive left lots of "flotsam" too: unfinished experiences, tests, experimentations, exercies, combinations and variations. Sometime, the first phrase of a unfinished song, sometimes, just an interesting bass line. I would recommend you keep all those little pieces for future reference, sometimes whe get stuck in a song and dont know how to move on and the answer could be somewhere in this little pieces. (at least its how sometimes it work for me :) )
My music project "Strange Adventures in Void" :arrow:
https://soundcloud.com/savoid

Return to “Music Cafe”