Please share your ideas about "developing song/s further"

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It would help me out. Thanks.

Maybe you could provide some additional context so we know exactly what sort of help you're asking for.

My short answer is, develop a song until YOU feel that it's done, unless someone is paying you, then develop it until he/she feels that it's done, or you've met your contractual obligations (then, ask for more $$$).
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

I just make songs for a hobby. It's been suggest to me to "develop your song/s further" and i'm ready to give it a go. My songs are typically (politely?) described by people as "minimal". I'm lacking ideas or inspiration to develop the song/s further.

Thankyou for replying btw.

Here's an example of a simple unfinished song i started today and i haven't got a clue where/how to take/develop it further:
https://soundcloud.com/springgoose/nys/s-QcNSsn32yq8

I'm happy to read, if people are happy to write or post links. I'd rather not spend any money (on a book) atm but maybe i can later. I'm sure i could find the time to watch a video. I'll take whatever anybody can give me, on this subject "developing song/s further"! I can take specific information and i can take general information.

Ok some ideas are just arriving to me. In this instance KVR is my sounding board, it works for me. Apologies if wasting anybody's time!

more instruments
variety drum/percussion
edit it shorter
"incidental" sounds / "ear candy"
fx/background sounds
mixing i can't really do with my current computer
key change
verse/chorus/more different sections
voice/vocal i'm not much of a singer
vocoder? i'd need get a mic
interesting rhythms for melodic parts

Hey, i think i might help somebody else out here!

Are you trying to create DJ friendly electronic music? The best way to wrap your head around this is to post three artists that you think someone might listen to along with your tracks. I'm not suggesting that you want to emulate them, although that's not a bad place to start, but what is in the same ball park?

ghettosynth wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:21 am Are you trying to create DJ friendly electronic music? The best way to wrap your head around this is to post three artists that you think someone might listen to along with your tracks. I'm not suggesting that you want to emulate them, although that's not a bad place to start, but what is in the same ball park?
Well yes i am doing, but the example i posted isn't. I'm not really intending anything with this example song, it's just a simple song that i would enjoy but it needs further developing! Actually I chose this song because it isn't a club/DJ song which i thought for most people will be a more palatable listen.

Thanks for the advice though, that is a good idea.

I just thought: Here is another song which i've also started today and which i have managed to develop somewhat further, but not finished.
https://soundcloud.com/springgoose/nys-2/s-XTCHyKRM2FB
note: transitions abrupt/jarring
I can give specific 3 artists in the same ball park as this the 2nd example. That's: Baby Mammoth, The Amalgamation Of Soundz, and maybe John Tejada.

They don't get talked about much here, but I suggest searching for articles on magazine websites like Sound on Sound, MusicRadar, MusicTech, etc. Here's a Computer Music article from a few months ago that might be helpful...

10 ways to turn musical ideas into whole tracks or sections - https://www.musicradar.com/how-to/10-wa ... nto-tracks

Cheers telecharge!

Maybe you just want to make minimal stuff? Thats ok.

Tejada does (or did?) a kind of weird thing in some tracks where elements lived in very strict frequency ranges. It made the arrangements interesting because your ear doesnt miss the freqs until they are there, so that expansion/retraction of the freq range was a part of the arrangement of the elements.
Thats not really useful, but it popped in my head thinking about song development and Tejada..

-Make copies of patterns youre using, and change them. Throw them around, see if that gives arrangement ideas
-Start with bigger longer sounds. Start with just an eight bar chord progression and work 'down' to the details. So, instead of trying to build into something with small arrangements, let a bigger arrangment lead you to where details go
-Browse sounds while listening to what you have
-Copy just the basic arrangement of a track you like. Fill in your parts, see whats missing
ImageImageImageImage

I find your track oddly interesting. It honestly works for me. Certainly not chart topping music, but for minimal/experimental it has its appeal. The dissonances are unexpected and weirdly grow on you once you get into it.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

highkoo wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:46 am Maybe you just want to make minimal stuff? Thats ok.
Well it's been suggested to me that it's a bit boring for other people to listen to, and i want to make DJ mixes of my songs that people will listen to.
highkoo wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:46 am Tejada does (or did?) a kind of weird thing in some tracks where elements lived in very strict frequency ranges. It made the arrangements interesting because your ear doesnt miss the freqs until they are there, so that expansion/retraction of the freq range was a part of the arrangement of the elements.
Thats not really useful, but it popped in my head thinking about song development and Tejada..
It might be useful, i'll bare it in mind next time i am listening to Tejada. Thanks. Daydreams in cold weather is my favourite Tejada. I still have his Fabric cd to listen to, got a few Fabric cds which i haven't listened to yet actually.
highkoo wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:46 am -Make copies of patterns youre using, and change them. Throw them around, see if that gives arrangement ideas
-Start with bigger longer sounds. Start with just an eight bar chord progression and work 'down' to the details. So, instead of trying to build into something with small arrangements, let a bigger arrangment lead you to where details go
-Browse sounds while listening to what you have
-Copy just the basic arrangement of a track you like. Fill in your parts, see whats missing
Thanks for the ideas!

mgw38 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:54 am I find your track oddly interesting. It honestly works for me. Certainly not chart topping music, but for minimal/experimental it has its appeal. The dissonances are unexpected and weirdly grow on you once you get into it.
I'm glad you enjoyed it! :) Thanks for letting me know

wha-tha-hell you people ramblin' on about?

Kinh wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:26 pm wha-tha-hell you people ramblin' on about?
:)

Thanks for dropping in.

My songs are underdeveloped or too minimal. I need to learn to develop/take the songs further. I was asking for help/advice.

Return to “Production Techniques”