Time to Rest (Synthpop - Sad Ballad)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bansaw wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:46 pm (...)I'd probably advise you to focus on arrangement. Try dropping out the percussion for a few bars, then brining it back in. Try dropping out the bass for a few bars. Introduce a new instrument (sound) now and then, and take an instrument out now and then. Insert some call-and-response. etc.
Tks a lot for your feedback. This one was made with voice in mind and probably (if everyhting goes right) ill re-release it with voice+lyrics and other synths to harmonize with it. The base harmony is set (chords and progression), but probably ill change some of the arrangement, already working on it. Tks again.
My music project "Strange Adventures in Void" :arrow:
https://soundcloud.com/savoid

sambombe,
Thank you for the review(s)! Now your song: intro sounds emotional and heartfelt; actually the entire song is that way. Nice synths/keyboards. Nice melodies. Nice song, I like it! :)
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

aaron aardvark wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:55 am (...) Nice song, I like it! :)
Tks for your time and kind words! Lets keep up the good work! :)

Nice little tune . very unexcited - a real pleasure for the stressed mind. Well done.

htcnext2 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:09 pm Nice little tune . very unexcited - a real pleasure for the stressed mind. Well done.
Thank you very much, I'm glad it helped a little with the day-to-day stress :P . Thank's for your time and your words! :phones:

sambombe wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:19 pm It was created using voice/acoustic guitar, but i did a synth version of it. I plan to remix it with some voice recorded by a friend and other synths (to acomodate his voice properly).

As im still learning how to use compression, eqs, automation etc, this song has none of that, ive only tried to play with volume/balance levels.
This piece sounds like you have all of the basics in place. A vocal would definitely suit this piece admirably, and you have already stated that you will change the synths to accommodate the vocal, so I think you shouldn't have too many problems.

You say that you have so far only bothered with levels, volumes and pans. Along with EQ and reverb, I think these four basics should help you to go most of the way to achieving a great complete song production.

Getting the correct relative levels between the different audio tracks will help you to maintain clarity in your final mix, and this levelling when used in conjunction with EQ cuts and panning will help to create space in your mix for all of the instruments to co-exist. For example, if you have two synths which are occupying a similar frequency range, you can achieve a decent amount of separation between them by panning them to different places within your mix (maybe one to the left and the other to the right).

You can also move different elements to the "front" or "back" of your mix by using reverb, although this can be a little more complicated, but you should be able to pick this up quickly.

Good luck and good work :)

Tks Seismic1 for listening to it and giving some feedback and advices!
seismic1 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:24 pm (...)
You say that you have so far only bothered with levels, volumes and pans. Along with EQ and reverb, I think these four basics should help you to go most of the way to achieving a great complete song production.

Getting the correct relative levels between the different audio tracks will help you to maintain clarity in your final mix, and this levelling when used in conjunction with EQ cuts and panning will help to create space in your mix for all of the instruments to co-exist. For example, if you have two synths which are occupying a similar frequency range, you can achieve a decent amount of separation between them by panning them to different places within your mix (maybe one to the left and the other to the right).

You can also move different elements to the "front" or "back" of your mix by using reverb, although this can be a little more complicated, but you should be able to pick this up quickly.

Good luck and good work :)
As im still learning about how to use all those tools, im watching some tutorial videos and following some discussions, but i still have so many questions, if you have the time i would appreciate your comments on these:
1) Most synths have some reverb (and effects) already on it, should i bother tweaking them to fit the piece and to "put" it in the correct place? Or should i remove it completely and use a plugin for it after bouncing the wave to get more control?
2) I saw in some tutorials that you should mix mono, so if you hear everything in mono, it should sound well in stereo. But... this way i couldnt use the pan tool to make space correct? (i found it a little confusing)
3) When im EQing, should i automate it? Example: when the synth is not competing with similar sounds and frequencies, should i bypass it (like in a solo) and put it back when it plays with other lines?

Well, im seeing lots of contradictory info in these materials, but i guess with experience and trial-error i would get it and learn when and how to use them.

Tks in advance!!

sambombe wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:27 am
As im still learning about how to use all those tools, im watching some tutorial videos and following some discussions, but i still have so many questions, if you have the time i would appreciate your comments on these:
I've been making computer-based music for a little more than 12 years. I didn't bother mixing any of my tracks when I first recorded them (apart from some very basic levelling). After over 2 years (when I had completed recording roughly 60 tracks), I started posting them online and got a few pointers about arrangement and mixing from some of the guys here in 2011. I then focussed my attention on EQ, relative track levelling, panning and reverb from that time, and managed to improve the sound of my pieces very quickly. Over time I realised that I needed to add other skills to my repertoire, and that is still an ongoing process, which I am enjoying, even if it means that I am still remixing tracks originally recorded in 2010!

I can't recall ever watching a tutorial video. That is not to say that they are not useful, but I have always had a very "hands-on" approach to technical problems, whether in relation to music, software development/troubleshooting or refrigerator repairs! If you feel that tutorial videos will help you to learn, then you should certainly make use of them.

sambombe wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:27 am 1) Most synths have some reverb (and effects) already on it, should i bother tweaking them to fit the piece and to "put" it in the correct place? Or should i remove it completely and use a plugin for it after bouncing the wave to get more control?
Some synths presets are "pre-configured" with effects built into the synth. If I find that sound to be particularly inspiring, and I use it in a track, I often find that adjustments will need to be made to the preset to fit the sound into a mix. That's a good thing, because you will learn about that synth by making those tweaks.

On the other hand, some presets have a very dry sound that can sound uninspiring until effects (maybe reverb, delay or chorus) have been added which can add a lot of life to the basic sound. I used to have a Korg M500 Micro Preset synth which had some half-decent sounds, but they didn't really shine until they were put through a tape/digital delay or reverb.
sambombe wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:27 am 2) I saw in some tutorials that you should mix mono, so if you hear everything in mono, it should sound well in stereo. But... this way i couldnt use the pan tool to make space correct? (i found it a little confusing)
I don't "mix" in mono, but I check a mono version of the rendered wav file from the DAW from time to time during the mixing process to make sure that it sounds reasonable in mono.

Here is a link that might help you:-

https://www.tunecore.com/blog/2020/02/t ... art-1.html

There is a further link to part 2 at the end of the article.
sambombe wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:27 am 3) When im EQing, should i automate it? Example: when the synth is not competing with similar sounds and frequencies, should i bypass it (like in a solo) and put it back when it plays with other lines?
I presume that you are talking about "targetted" EQ cuts here. Automation is one solution, but if you have separated the competing instruments within your soundstage, using panning, you might not need the EQ cut in the first place.
sambombe wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:27 am Well, im seeing lots of contradictory info in these materials, but i guess with experience and trial-error i would get it and learn when and how to use them.

Tks in advance!!
Experience and trial-and-error will become your friends over time. Do not under-estimate their value.

I like the synth phrases with which the song starts: They are loose, slightly floating.
The whole thing has a relaxed timbre at all. I find the chord changes from 2:30 to
be particularly successful - simple, but sounding good. At the end you bring in a
kind of solo voice so that it doesn't get boring. :tu:

You write above that you have not dealt with the technology for that long. Tchaa,
I think the composition is the most important thing and should be the starting
point. The technical trappings are relatively secondary. :wink:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

seismic1 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:44 am (...) I can't recall ever watching a tutorial video. That is not to say that they are not useful, but I have always had a very "hands-on" approach to technical problems, (...)
My source of "knowledge and experience" has been following this forum, participating in some (asking questions most of the time :wink: ) and watching those tutorials. But youre correct, "hands-on" is (for me at least) the ultimate way to really learn.
seismic1 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:44 am (...) On the other hand, some presets have a very dry sound that can sound uninspiring until effects (maybe reverb, delay or chorus) have been added which can add a lot of life to the basic sound.
Tks for the advice, theres another thing that ive been seeing is that some vsts are "louder" than others. I always have to turn down Omnisphere levels when using with others synth vsts...
seismic1 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:44 am I don't "mix" in mono, but I check a mono version of the rendered wav file from the DAW from time to time during the mixing process to make sure that it sounds reasonable in mono.
Here is a link that might help you:-
https://www.tunecore.com/blog/2020/02/t ... art-1.html
Tks a lot again for the links and advice! :tu:
seismic1 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:44 am Experience and trial-and-error will become your friends over time. Do not under-estimate their value.
Indeed! Your posts helped me a lot, now i need to practice and put those in practice, tks for your time and words! :phones:

enroe wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:11 am I like the synth phrases with which the song starts: They are loose, slightly floating(...)
I think the composition is the most important thing and should be the starting
point. The technical trappings are relatively secondary. (...)
Tks for your time listenting and kind words. I guess composition is the hardest part too, creating a melody and a theme with your soul and mind is the really a challenge. But i like how, with computers, apps and tools, we can improve our possibilities to infinity.... Ive been listening to a lot of work here and im glad that so many ppl stilll create great songs (out of the present mainstream "zombie" circuit). Those ppl are trying differente things, making experiences and doing great things. Tks a lot! :)

i likes it.
works for me as it is. (without the vocals)
all around good composition and production.
a very enjoyable listen, hope to hear more
:tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:56 pm (...) a very enjoyable listen, hope to hear more :tu:
Hey Layzer, thanks for listening and posting here. Glad that you like it. We are working on a version with vocals and other synths, its the same melody and arrangement, but with very different synths and atmosphere...hope you like it too!.

Return to “Music Cafe”