Do you know what is this (vintage) guitar?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've found an old semi-hollow but I'm not able to guess the make and model.
Does anybody know it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Teisco Del Rey?
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:37 pm Teisco Del Rey?
I was also looking inside old Teisco catalogs but I can't find this one. Notice that the guitar doesn't have any name on it.

Neither did the one I used to have.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

My old Teisco had no name or emblem on it either. I guess that’s another way they kept manufacturing costs down. :lol:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I only found out what it actually was in the internet age. It was stolen from me in 1978. I doubt whoever took it got very much, lol. Thing I remember about it most was the unradiused fretboard. And the baseball bat neck.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:10 pm I only found out what it actually was in the internet age. It was stolen from me in 1978. I doubt whoever took it got very much, lol. Thing I remember about it most was the unradiused fretboard. And the baseball bat neck.
You mean that it could be yours? :D
Do you confirm it's exactly the same as your Teisco in 1978?

No....

Mine resembled this one. Except it was a more or less blackish sunburst type finish. The one below is a re-issue, I think.
LPlivkoOREWG3VDSEBEnfg.jpg
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Trident inlay reminds me of Ibanez copies before they formalized the ibanez name. They would make different brand names like Lotus or Love or Magnum but I'm sure it's earlier than all of those. Goya had that type of fretwork. but not the headstock inlay. Then again Recording King had that type of inlay work but definitely not the headstock inlay or headstock form. I'm fairly sure that Recording King brand was defunct in that era.

Samick and Cort were making unbranded electric guitars from the early 50's on. They were distributed mostly to south=east asia africa and the middle east. I remember back in '68 my dad returning home from Vietnam with a 335 copy with single coils for my older sister. He never said where he got it. Prolly bought it off one of his buddies or at a pawn shop off base.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Definitely 60's MIJ. Definitely NOT a Teisco. The pickups, the headstock inlay the pearloid switchplate, the tailpiece are all nothing you would see on a Teisco. As was pointed out there were several factories making unbranded guitars as well as OEM guitars with many different brand names. This one looks like a Hoshino product to me. They later starting making their own brands Ibanez mostly for the US Market and Greco mostly for the Japanese market. Ibanez touched off the "lawsuit" era because they made exact copies of Gibson guitars, some of which were as good or better than actual Gibsons of that era. At that point Ibanez began producing original designs while continuing to make VERY GOOD Gibson copies under the Greco brand name.

Gibson could not stop them from doing that in their own market. I used to own a Greco SG and a Burny, (another Hoshino brand), Les Paul. The SG was as good as any Gibson SG I've played and the Burny LP....well....that sucker just smoked most Gibsons. :D
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

giohappy wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:06 pm I've found an old semi-hollow but I'm not able to guess the make and model.
Does anybody know it?
I don't know what it is, but it looks very nice. :)

I thought maybe Maton but couldnt find any like it
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

tapper mike wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:23 pm Trident inlay reminds me of Ibanez copies before they formalized the ibanez name.
I thought the same ... my Ibanez V-280 acoustic had a similar "logo".

Pretty late seeing this, but I don’t think this is MIJ. Those look like Hagstrom (Sweden) pickups and so much of it (trapeze, bridge, etc) doesn’t look like MIJ. Maybe I’ll try posting it on a message board to see what they say. Might be really early MIJ, but I can’t recall seeing pickups like that from there.

no
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Return to “Guitars”