Ilok Activation Question

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not sure where else to ask.

Having just had to install this to activate a vst I just purchased, can I uninstall this ilok manager thing once the products have been activated/registered etc?

PS - devs, I know you want to protect your IP but this nonsense IMO isn't the answer. A simple purchase followed by installation gets turned into the trials of hercules for no reason that benefits the consumer.

No. You need ilok manager to use this plugin.

Yes, that's the whole point. It's a license authorization tool.

lobanov wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:35 pm No. You need ilok manager to use this plugin.
That's unfortunate. I bought the AIR DB 3 hammond emulation, which (despite the tiny gui that I can't seem to resize) is very good.

But I won't be buying anything else that uses this process. It's user unfriendly and frankly a chore.

When you have activated the plugin, which is done either manually in the iLok software, or in a popup window when your DAW scans the plugin, you don't have to think of iLok again. How is that user unfriendly?
Last edited by starflakeprj on Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

And this is an improvement compared to using a physical ilok dongle

starflakeprj wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:14 am When you have activated the plugin, which is done either manually in the iLok software, or in a popup window when your DAW scans the plugin, you don't have to think of iLok again. How is that user unfriendly?
because it's a process that assumes the worst about customers and IMO isn't necessary. I have bought other plugins from other companies, more expensive ones at that, and they seemed to manage without this extraneous stuff. Also, what happens if I want to upgrade to a new computer?

ghostwhistler wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:00 pm
starflakeprj wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:14 am When you have activated the plugin, which is done either manually in the iLok software, or in a popup window when your DAW scans the plugin, you don't have to think of iLok again. How is that user unfriendly?
because it's a process that assumes the worst about customers and IMO isn't necessary. I have bought other plugins from other companies, more expensive ones at that, and they seemed to manage without this extraneous stuff. Also, what happens if I want to upgrade to a new computer?
Ok, I didn't think of "unfriendly" in that perspective, I was translating unfriendly to cumbersome, which it isn't. Unless, of course, you would like to upgrade to a new computer, but then it doesn't matter how many iLok licenses you have (I have 133 activated), you can de-activate them all at the same time. Then activate them all at once on your new computer.

I'm having much more trouble with C/R protected software then, saying I have already used up all my activation slots. Contacting them (the developers) individually to try to convince them you have not given your serial away to multiple people is much worse, more cumbersome and unfriendly.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

From the category "stuff you should check before buying a product". Or was the intention to create another iLoK rAnT topic?

ghostwhistler wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:00 pm it's a process that assumes the worst about customers
Why? What's the difference to a serial or key protection in that regard?

Why do you assume the worst in people when you lock your car or your front door? ;)

ghostwhistler wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:39 am But I won't be buying anything else that uses this process. It's user unfriendly and frankly a chore.
Well, it is a chore the first time when you have to create the iLok account, install the software etc. But since you already went through that process, why not? It won't be nearly as annoying the second time around. And after that it's business as usual.

Return to “Instruments”