Could this be the only youtube guitar tutorial channel you ever need to see?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:01 pm
Bombadil wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:47 pm
Cool! It just reinforces my opinion in some ways when he devotes a whole video whinging about the truckload of Apple products he's owned. I never said Beato doesn't know his stuff. I find him abrasive.
or whining about copyright strikes because hes doing people a favour by featuring them :lol:
I would be whining as well if I got a copyright strike when I actually did not breach copyright. I think you'll find that in a lot of cases he is justified, I can't comment on all his youtube copyright strikes as I have not really had time to check what all the breaches were for. I think it is to do with the fact that what he has put up on youtube is legal to use under U.S law for educational purposes which it clearly is educational. I think the breaches are in relation to certain videos which he titles 'WHAT MAKES THIS SONG GREAT' In which he gives his in depth opinion on what makes the song great.
Sometimes copyright holders complain and make threats that are unjustified, and it may be that youtube are often over zealous with their rules. Also often the copyright holders have a lot of money and power that when used in a certain way (lawsuit threats) can quickly make people comply regardless of what the law states.
Why the hell did I come back to this God forsaken forum? :dog:

but he's broadcasting worldwide, pootube has copyright rules, it's those that count, not the usa broadcast rules.
if his channel was only available in the usa, then he could use the usa laws as a defence, which he doesn't, he specifically claims he's doing them a favour. like no one had heard these acts before he did tye video. that's the bit that i find most amusing :lol:

maybe, he should just seek approval?
or stick to american bands? (it's only been a few eu/uk acts)

I tried that for awhile. But I didn't monetize my content. Got nailed for copyright and because I didn't monetize they just pulled the plug on my content event though I wasn't using copyrighted material. If you monetize and they decide you did something wrong sometimes they take all the money from the video and sometimes they take half even if you only play a very small snippet.

What happens is Beato (And others like Adam Neely) will hack on a few of his videos playing sloppily to hide from the algorithm that automatically searches for copywritten material. On the otherhand just because someone is a great guitarist doesn't make them a great teacher. Sometimes pulling an artist out of their environment causes them to mess up. Alex Lifeson messes up a lot in his "How to Play Rush songs" series

As far as a guitar teacher, Beato has the cred to back things up. He studied and taught cloassical and jazz guitar as a professor long before his "awakening" when he moved on to being a session bassist and producer. He does have a gold record to his credit producing for Paramore.

You'll never be great playing all kinds of styles on all kinds of instruments. You may become reasonably sufficient. That's why he plays like he does.
I play guitar, tabla, bass, keys and linnstrument. I've played blues, jazz, 60's/70's rock, 80's hair metal, synthpop. and even trance. I can play them with some constitution but not as well as I play fingerstyle chord melody jazz. So generally I put all that off to the side and just play my jazz standards and a little smooth jazz. Sure I still dabble in areas that are not in my wheelhouse for variety.

As for Beato's other content. If he aunt constantly producing videos he aunt making money. The more videos he puts out the more money he makes. Less people are actually watching the "big picture" stuff and more are watching his opinion based stuff. This is true of YT in general. Instructional material garner's less views/likes then influencer content. The biggest mover and shaker independent video producers are actually reaction videos as opposed to instructional videos. He has to keep the eyes coming back. Music reaction videos do surprisingly well and some influencers produce three reaction videos a day.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

vurt wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:29 pm but he's broadcasting worldwide, pootube has copyright rules, it's those that count, not the usa broadcast rules.
if his channel was only available in the usa, then he could use the usa laws as a defence, which he doesn't, he specifically claims he's doing them a favour. like no one had heard these acts before he did tye video. that's the bit that i find most amusing :lol:

maybe, he should just seek approval?
or stick to american bands? (it's only been a few eu/uk acts)
I don't actually know whether artists/copyright holders from outside the U.S.A have different laws applied to them, and which of these if any have complained to youtube, and I don't want to go into a debate about that, at the end of the day what was deemed to be copyrighted was taken down, it doesn't take away from the fact that the guy is very knowledgeable, and I believe you can learn a lot from him. I leave that for others to decide if they think he is a good source of knowledge, I think he is.

tapper mike wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:32 pm
You'll never be great playing all kinds of styles on all kinds of instruments. You may become reasonably sufficient. That's why he plays like he does.
I play guitar, tabla, bass, keys and linnstrument. I've played blues, jazz, 60's/70's rock, 80's hair metal, synthpop. and even trance. I can play them with some constitution but not as well as I play fingerstyle chord melody jazz. So generally I put all that off to the side and just play my jazz standards and a little smooth jazz. Sure I still dabble in areas that are not in my wheelhouse for variety.

As for Beato's other content. If he aunt constantly producing videos he aunt making money. The more videos he puts out the more money he makes. Less people are actually watching the "big picture" stuff and more are watching his opinion based stuff. This is true of YT in general. Instructional material garner's less views/likes then influencer content. The biggest mover and shaker independent video producers are actually reaction videos as opposed to instructional videos. He has to keep the eyes coming back. Music reaction videos do surprisingly well and some influencers produce three reaction videos a day.
I agree that you'll never be great playing all styles of music, and I'm sure that' Beato is no different, I just think that Beato is putting stuff up on his channel that is a bit different to the same old stuff I'm used to seeing. I guess for me the opinion based stuff is valuable as I have only been playing guitar for two years, and haven't got the knowledge that someone like you who has been playing guitar a long time has. Anyway I won't just be looking at his opinion based stuff as valuable as I think it is the actual lesson based stuff I regard as equally important even though I have lots of that sort of material.

Just because a path is open to you it doesn't mean you need to take it nor does it mean it suits you. You always be you should be the first path.

I don't mean to disrespect Beato. He's a fine guitarists and as you are already clearly aware of he really does take learning music to the next level in a clear concise manner. I subscribe to his channel and watch every video he puts out. I know some people find him a bit preachy with all the "This sucks" videos he puts out. But I'd rather have an educator who isn't all rainbows and lollipops.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I like Beato, but never considered his channel as guitar tutorial specific. I dont think he would either.

Its a music show, and at times, absolutely brilliant.

I'd rather have a guitar teacher who's always on topic and not using his channel as a soap-box for his first world problems. In any case, not my circus, not my monkeys.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Well if Beato is not your cup of tea how about Joe Murphy he is mainly a blues guitarist, but not solely. He has lots of guitar lessons on his channel and I love his live shows, and I really like to listen to this guy playing and singing. He's definately worth you checking him out, particularly if you like the blues. https://www.youtube.com/user/Joejoe001000

Thx. I watched a Beato vid last night (showed up in my YT feed after writing about him here..coincidence? I THINK NOT!) it was ok. He didn't automatically annoy me.
Blues-based is ok, I'm really looking to shake up my playing with finger style. I've just managed to learn to play Julia and Dear Prudence correctly, so I'm getting my thumb to interact independently from the rest of my right hand. It's been a half-arsed goal for a long time now, but now I'm making progress. Adds a whole new dimension to playing.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:55 am Thx. I watched a Beato vid last night (showed up in my YT feed after writing about him here..coincidence? I THINK NOT!) it was ok. He didn't automatically annoy me.
Blues-based is ok, I'm really looking to shake up my playing with finger style. I've just managed to learn to play Julia and Dear Prudence correctly, so I'm getting my thumb to interact independently from the rest of my right hand. It's been a half-arsed goal for a long time now, but now I'm making progress. Adds a whole new dimension to playing.
That's great mate, check out Joe's channel. funny you should talk about fingerstyle I was watching one of Joe's live shows last night that are posted up on his channel can't remember what number may have been the Joe show 12 or 13, in which he says to his audience how important it is for you to try different style like fingerstyle. In fact he has quite a lot of fingerstyle song lessons or songs that incorporate fingerstyle on his channel, and he his a really good but modest guitar player who is really interesting to listen to.

Fingerstlye is so hard to naildown because there are many, many fingerstyles out there. The thing is not all styles fit all content. If you follow Tommy Immanuel much he's very much in the Merle Travix / Chet Atkins thumb pick vein. It requires him to re arrabnge all of his songs to that approach to "make it happen"

Kent Mishimura
Blends thumpicking with classical and flamenco fingering.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZII3Cu_Uo4

"peacejoytown"
is prolly the most "authentic" classical fingerstyle/pop player. The left hand form is very strict and his harmonies are simplified. but the majic of the melody is always present and doesn't need flash to be articulated properly. I think he's the grandmaster of pop fingerstyle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT1tMlSItAo

Bill Tyers
Was the quintesencial classical form jazz baladeer, chord melody guitarist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iscxx5YiQcI

Proper left had form, nothing flashy but as graceful as a gazelle.

excuse me please wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:43 pm
Henry Jimdrix wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:16 pm
excuse me please wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:26 pm Not exactly. I'd rather subscribe to guys like this one:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx3LnKmvGZU
OMG! if ever you wanted a definition of what a geek looks like look no further
I think he's trying to tell you something :hihi:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yPPk3jYvDFI
This is the proof, Yngwie is way too emotional… Maybe wearing a wig could help Yngwies career…?

I subscribe to Rick Beato . But when he starts the Pop music Justin Beebs and Nicky Mahnaj crap it's a turn off . The guys out to make a buck like most U toobers and man does he cry about the copyright stuff .... I do like his what makes this song great series , probably why I subscribe . Now Beato is on another dude channel that just does guitar stuff don't know his name ? Now . Paul Davids , Ola Englund , are kind interesting . Paul Davids is like Bob Ross ( painter but guitars instead lol ) Ola does it chug lolz ... Even MAB is interesting at times. U toobers I can't stand Guitar Max ... dude buy a x large shirt I don't want to see your muscles I have muscles too I wear and xl u weenie ... the Ashton Kutcher hockey shirt wearing blue grass guy ( acoustic letter ) he's annoying ...

I always think of Grandpa Simpson yelling at clouds.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Guitars”