Note latch on/off idea

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
KVRist
149 posts since 2 Jul, 2017

Post Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:26 am

Hello! One thing I always come back to (so pardon me if I've asked before!) is a switch based feature where I can play a single or group of notes and latch them on - a bit like an arp latch but without the arp mode engaged.

I'm not sure I'm explaining myself very well, but what I mean is that I could use one of the switch buttons to trigger and hold a note (or group of notes) at the played velocity/pressure point when the switch button is released, leaving you to play over the selected note(s) normally (without those also sustaining as they would if you were using the sustain pedal).

Appreciate this might not be everyone's cup of tea, but thought I'd mention since I find myself fairly regularly using a key weight to achieve something similar - having that built in the unit over multiple notes might be an interesting and fairly simple firmware mod?

I've really no idea how difficult, or useful to others, implementing something like that could be, just thought I'd throw out the idea... Thanking you!

KVRian
567 posts since 28 Mar, 2017

Post Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:46 am

Sounds like you need a freeze pedal. They’re typically pretty cheap. The EHX Freeze pedal, for example, is only about $150.xx and works well.

Cheers!

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:49 am

Ooh nice, had no idea that, or the also discovered superego plus, was a thing!

KVRist
250 posts since 12 Sep, 2007

Post Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:56 am

There are lots of vst's and verbs that have a freeze.
Or even a simple looper pedal or loop Vst would fit your needs.

What you need is a sustain pedal that is ignored until you release the notes.
Seems there would be a way with scripting perhaps?

Good luck,
Dirk

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:43 am

Thanks, I'd not considered using a looper for it - interesting idea. VSTs are a no go for me though

The reason I think it would be cool to have the functionality in the linnstrument itself is so you've got that hands-on-ness of being able to control that option from the control surface, though I'd be happy exploring options outside of that if it's too niche/complicated a suggestion. I've probably got a couple of things I could achieve it with, though the keyboard weight is the simplest solution.

KVRAF
1815 posts since 8 Jun, 2010
Roger Linn Design

Post Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:51 am

T-IB,
I think you’re saying that you’d like a sustain pedal mode that, instead of sending CC64, withholds all Note Offs of pressed notes until the pedal is released. Correct?
It wouldn’t make sense to maintain the pressure value that exists when the pad is released because the pad pressure is always zero when released, given that you must remove all pressure in order to release a note.

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:05 am

Roger_Linn wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:51 am
T-IB,
I think you’re saying that you’d like a sustain pedal mode that, instead of sending CC64, withholds all Note Offs of pressed notes until the pedal is released. Correct?
Hey Roger, kind of - I imagine it as an assignable switch option rather than pedal, though either would work - the nuance is that it would only remove the note off of the note(s) played when pressed, allowing you to solo over it with regular note on/off functionality. Does that make sense?

Thanks for playing by the way!

KVRAF
1815 posts since 8 Jun, 2010
Roger Linn Design

Post Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:18 am

What you’re describing is the sustenuto pedal, the traditional middle pedal on pianos:

If a player: (i) holds down a note or chord, and (ii) while so doing depresses this pedal, and then (iii) lifts the fingers from that note or chord while keeping the pedal depressed, then that note or chord is not damped until the foot is lifted—despite subsequently played notes being damped normally on their release.

Sustenuto is defined in MIDI as CC66, but few synths implement it. For synths that don’t, then given that CC64 sustains all notes in the synth, the only way to accomplish sostenuto is to accomplish sustain by withhold Note Off messages until the switch/pedal's release instead by by sending CC64.

So I think your desired feature could be to add a "Sustenuto" option to the current options (CC0 to CC127) under Assign Switches > Sustain.

If so, I’ll add that to the list of desired features for a future update, but can’t promise when it will be implemented.

Note that you can do a similar sustenuto function now by using Split mode: assign the sustain pedal to work on the left split but not on the right split. The right split would use a different MIDI channel and instance of the same sound in your DAW so that the the CC64 sustain messages for the left split wouldn’t affect the right split.

You might also check out the Legato function, which is an option under Assign Switches > Tap Tempo:

While the switch/pedal is on, notes or chords are sustained after release until the next note or chord is played.

This function changes the method of sustaining notes from sending CC64 to withholding the Note Off messages sent by released notes until the switch/pedal is released.

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:36 am

Roger, you've nailed it! Many thanks - appreciate (as ever) that you've taken your time to figure it out and that it will go on the list. Great stuff!

Meanwhile, I might make a couple more key weights...

KVRist
250 posts since 12 Sep, 2007

Post Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:52 am

Ah key weights, that's an interesting idea, cool.
You could even make little chord shaped ones.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”