Dune 3 on sale, should I get it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Looks like the original poster already made the decision, but I would say yes. The interface took me a little while to wrap my head around completely, but I just learned that if you take your time and measure your steps you can put together some nice stuff rather easily.

Here’s the thing though: You don’t need to take a lot of steps to arrive at something worthwhile, because the sound is so good. It’s just got a presence to it that stands out to me.
Yo Leroy!

Dune 3 is a tremendous synth.
Very powerful and sounds great.
What not to like....

Dune 3 is like the Toyota Corolla of soft synths, it does what it's supposed to do and got the charm of tofu 8)

e-crooner wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:07 pm Dune 3 is like the Toyota Corolla of soft synths, it does what it's supposed to do and got the charm of tofu 8)
No you're thinking of Sylenth. DUNE 3 is a Ferrari.....Sylenth 1 is a bicycle. 8)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

DUNE 3 is my favorite VST Synth. :tu:

I wonder if there will be a DUNE 4 ?

I have questions is there PHASE option for Dune 3’s Oscilators? Similar like in Vital/Serum (Hive also has but different type from Vital)? From the manual I found phaser effect

I don't quite understand your question, but, if you ask if Dune 3 has an option to retrigger the phase of the oscillators, then, yes, of course.

I mean PHASE like this one in the picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yep, Dune definitely has that. :) Activate the reset button in the oscillator controls, and then set the oscillator's phase via the mod matrix.

chk071 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:22 pm Yep, Dune definitely has that. :) Activate the reset button in the oscillator controls, and then set the oscillator's phase via the mod matrix.
Thank you for helping. But I still have some stuff I don't quite understand here :help:

1. All the 8 layers are routed with same Mod Matrix (I can't individually route like Layer 8 differently than layer 6 etc but all layers share the SAME Mod Matrix values?)?

2. I tried the Mod Matric > Common > Osc 1+2 Init Phase (source MSEG1 Destination Osc 1+2 Init Phase) but it the phase amount doesn't change at all for some reason (I did try different AMT values and also tried to use LFO1 for the Source and others but the Phase value seems to stay same all the time) :help:

Bartone wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:58 pm 1. All the 8 layers are routed with same Mod Matrix (I can't individually route like Layer 8 differently than layer 6 etc but all layers share the SAME Mod Matrix values?)?
You can select which voices (layers) are affected by the Mod Matrix Source>AMT>Destination in a slot.

Click on the Voice box for any Mod Matrix slot. "---" is All Voices

D3 071221-1.png
Here's a simple example:

D3 071221-2.png
MSEG 1 affects Osc 1 Fine only for Voice (Layer) 1.
MSEG 2 affects Osc 1 Fine only for Voice 2.
MSEG 3 affects Filter Cutoff for Voices 3 and 4
Mod Wheel to LFO 1 affects Global Pitch Fine for All Voices

Bartone wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:58 pm 2. I tried the Mod Matric > Common > Osc 1+2 Init Phase (source MSEG1 Destination Osc 1+2 Init Phase) but it the phase amount doesn't change at all for some reason (I did try different AMT values and also tried to use LFO1 for the Source and others but the Phase value seems to stay same all the time) :help:
From the manual:

"Reset
When reset is enabled, all oscillators in the stack start at the same initial phase (by default zero,
this can be changed in the modulation matrix)"

"Osc Init Phase
This parameter sets the absolute starting phase of the oscillator whenever a note is triggered.
As a consequence, it will no longer be in free-run mode. Set to zero, the specified oscillators
starts at zero phase.
An amount of +50 corresponds to a +180 degree phase shift, an amount of +100 to +360 degrees,
etc. While the human hearing is largely insensitive to the starting phase of a single oscillator, the
relative phase difference between both oscillators can matter in some cases, for example when
both oscillators share the exact same frequency"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

The moderator matrix ( :hihi: ) options for selecting layers are missing some options. With 8 layers there should be many more combinations. Not that it matters much, just saying...

I think whether or not we hear the initial phase depends a lot on the frequency of the sound. With bass sounds we probably hear it much more easily than on the 5th octave.

e-crooner wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:47 pm options for selecting layers are missing some options. With 8 layers there should be many more combinations.
How many possible combinations can there be, 512 ? It's never been an issue here, just requires a little imagination and planing when working with the matrix. :wink:

But having said that a few more options wouldn't hurt but then which ones 4+7, 6+2 etc etc ? :shrug:

Yes, I know, it would be a looong list :D
But I assume many people only use 1 to 3 layers anyway. I think SA might as well have implemented only 4 instead of 8 layers.

I've used 8 Voices a lot of times and countless times more than 4. The thing is DUNE 3 has two different methods for Unison, well actually three. You can use Unison at the Osc level or at the Voices level or you can use both Osc and Voice Unison.

D3 071221-3.png

Here the Spread is set to full which hard pans Voice 1 to the left and Voice 8 to the right. You can then apply Unison to the Oscs within each Voice if you wish.

You don't have to use all the Voices, hell you don't have to use more than one if you don't want. When you initialize a patch you're presented with one VA Osc through a LP Filter which is just about as simple as it gets. But then you have a ton of head room if you want to make more complex patches.

Bring in the Wavetable Oscs or the FM Oscs or the Sample Import...mix them in any combination and so on.

DUNE 3 is a synth that is perfect for beginners all the way up to experienced synthesists. :tu:

But again to the OP nothing is perfect so always demo demo demo.......

Return to “Instruments”