Introducing Cherry Audio's Memorymode Synthesizer!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
6079 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:14 pm

gnu23 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:53 pm
Dirtgrain wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:47 pm
Does Unify help with an overload of VSTs?
Yes, absolutely.
No, it makes it worse…

KVRist
187 posts since 6 Jul, 2019

Post Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:19 pm

Synth freaks are strange people. Always looking for different sounds and then complain when they hear one.
Last edited by FotoxBr on Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVRian
804 posts since 8 Jan, 2012 from frankfurt, Germany

Post Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:23 pm

EvilDragon wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:13 pm
Those who don't hear any differences in the comparison video need to rinse their ears a bit. :) The OG is ballsier, more intermodulation distortions (CA's sounds too clean and more sterile, particularly in the vocal and bell-like sounds showcased)...

I'll be waiting for Synapse's take on it.
I copied some presets in the legend and it sounds much better in the legend - maybe synapse audio won't have so much work for an memorymoog, since they also have modeled the curtis filters in obsession, so they could add the modulation, lfo, arp and the filter selection. Also the envelopes seems to be a little different.

KVRian
608 posts since 13 May, 2015

Post Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:38 pm

FotoxBr wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:19 pm
Synth freaks are strange people. Always looking for different sounds and then complain when they hear one.
+1 :hihi:

KVRist
297 posts since 26 Jul, 2018 from Germany

Post Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:48 pm

AnX wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:11 pm
Teksonik wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:49 pm
Perhaps it's because I lived through the era and have owned and played analog hardware synths that they bore me rather quickly these days. How many different ways do we need to run a saw wave through a low pass filter?
nothing new in today's virtual synths.... same old stuff repackaged..... no matter what the synthesis type

'new sounds' = emperor's new clothes

there is nothing new

maybe you hate guitars and pianos and drums too, they are so old and boring
Maybe FM synthesis is more interesting and challenging for him, why not?

KVRist
297 posts since 26 Jul, 2018 from Germany

Post Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:27 am

I would also love to see more physical modelling synths (in software), that go beyond simulating real instruments. Reaktor Prism ist a good approach....

GRRRRRRR!
12356 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:38 am

I don't know why but I always hand over my cash for a new Cherry Audio synth, spend a night or two thinking how nice it is and then never use it again. Seriously, I own CA2600, DCO106 and their 8 Voice and I've never used any of 'em in an actual song. Every time I think about using 8 Voice, I go for bx_oberhausen instead. Whenever I might want to give CA2600 a go, I end up using Korg's ARP Odyssey instead. And I can't imagine using DO106 over Softube's Model 84, either. They are good synths and incredible value for money but, I dunno, they just don't excite me. I think at least part of that is in the GUIs, which are a bit ordinary. 8 Voice, in particular, is way too big to use easily. At least I won't have any problem resisting the urge to buy a Moog clone.
NOVAkILL : Zenbook Duo, Core i7, 16GB RAM, Win10, UR44C | Studio One | JP6K, Union, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Invader, Concept, GR-8, Thorn, Equator, VG Carbon | Uno Pro Desktop, Uno, Rocket.

AnX
KVRAF
9876 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:16 am

Rastkovic wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:48 pm
AnX wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:11 pm
Teksonik wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:49 pm
Perhaps it's because I lived through the era and have owned and played analog hardware synths that they bore me rather quickly these days. How many different ways do we need to run a saw wave through a low pass filter?
nothing new in today's virtual synths.... same old stuff repackaged..... no matter what the synthesis type

'new sounds' = emperor's new clothes

there is nothing new

maybe you hate guitars and pianos and drums too, they are so old and boring
Maybe FM synthesis is more interesting and challenging for him, why not?
FM soft synths have been around a loooooong time, so they would hold interest to him. He only wants NEW sounds!

ukm
KVRist
89 posts since 28 Sep, 2002 from Germany

Post Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:21 am

@BONES; that's my experience with these synths too. For OB sounds I use Obsession most the time.

KVRAF
2388 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Post Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:46 am

Sounds huge and brittle, don't know how accurate it is though. I think of Cherry Audio's stuff as approximations rather than emulations and I think that's fairly reflected in the price. The ensemble sounds very good to me and its mono compatibility is excellent.

For me the big downside is the UI. I get that it's realistic but I find the contrast in combination with the large number of UI elements makes it uncomfortable to look at, whereas synths like Repro or Invader 2 are much easier on the eyes when you want to use them for extended periods. For that reason I won't be buying it unless it's possible to reskin it.

KVRAF
3432 posts since 22 Aug, 2019

Post Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:47 am

I just had a closer look at the GUI. The format is unfortunate, too wide. I don't know if one can change the size, but if it is to fit on a normal screen (not the huge, wide, curved monitor they use judging from the video The Making of Memorymode), it will be rather small, else you have to scroll horizontally I suppose.

The only unusual thing seems to be the Voice Modulation section, which is kind of an audio rate LFO, I take it?

I think Memorymood would have been a better name for it.

KVRAF
21881 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:59 am

sacer wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:23 pm
I copied some presets in the legend and it sounds much better in the legend - maybe synapse audio won't have so much work for an memorymoog, since they also have modeled the curtis filters in obsession, so they could add the modulation, lfo, arp and the filter selection. Also the envelopes seems to be a little different.
Memorymoog is Curtis oscillators, not filters.

KVRAF
5971 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Post Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:28 am

e-crooner wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:47 am
The only unusual thing seems to be the Voice Modulation section, which is kind of an audio rate LFO, I take it?
This may help with your question:
https://docs.cherryaudio.com/cherry-aud ... modulation

KVRist
498 posts since 18 Nov, 2010

Post Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:30 am

always baffled when people use grandiose perspectives like "Sounds NOTHING like it" and "Not even CLOSE", when, CLEARLY, it sounds VERY MUCH ALMOST identical. I did say almost. How does 90 to 100% equality end up nothing like it or not even close? Seems like it is more like it than not.
Is that like a ball game with a score of 46 to 45 being "not even close"? Perhaps the phrase itself is not understood?
I don't have bad hearing. Working in studios, I get my hearing checked frequently, have heard some amazing monitors, like Paisley studio A Westlakes, own NS-10Ms (dont really care for them), and H8s, currently monitoring on a THX certified 5.1 mixing system. Are people listening on laptop speakers? :)

I would put money in to showing that doing a double blind test of some comparo sounds, even golden ears, would not get it right, with the exception of random sample guestimate averages.

Would actually enjoy hearing people explain EXACTLY how they come to a "Not anywhere close" reasoning, please.
Is that based on the release time of a demo being set at 27 instead of 34 on the original? Because, maybe it is just me, but I'm thinking that can be corrected. :)

Feels like for every 20 "Sounds fantastic" posts, there is also a "sounds NOTHING like it". Whose hearing should I be questioning with those numbers?

Before purchased, I spent an hour or more review all the online MemoryMoog demos, and can say, OBJECTIVELY, that this is way more close than it is not even close.

Regargless, it is great sounding, fun to play and tweak, and a very enjoyable synth even if it was not an emulation of real.

(I don't work for cherry, don't know any of them, but I enjoy the products)

KVRist
498 posts since 18 Nov, 2010

Post Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:36 am

I was also able to recreate some amazing MemoryMoog presets on my DIVA, but lacking the real MM interface, it wasn't as much FUN. Also, the Diva didn't come with the full bank of original MM patches ready to go, like I would have if I spend $15,000 on a real one - which is never going to happen. So, the price for all MM patches? Easy choice! :D

Return to “Instruments”