Hardware synths with physical modeling and MPE?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
KVRist
93 posts since 14 Mar, 2018

Post Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:37 pm

Any good hardware synths with physical modeling and preferably mpe?

I love instruments that sound organic and like traditional instruments. For example, the Audio modeling swam instruments are great. For guitars, orange tree samples are fantastic.

But I am so sick of lag issues on these software instruments. And when issues happen while performing live it's just embarrassing. I need something more reliable, so I'm hoping a hardware synth will do the trick. But the hardware synths I'm looking at none sound organic.

Can you help? Thanks!

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:02 pm

I don't think it has mpe support, but the ANYMA PHI sounds pretty great:

https://www.aodyo.com/anyma-phi-produit-191.html

KVRian
569 posts since 28 Mar, 2017

Post Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:07 pm

The Haken Continuum (as well as the Mini or the Slim), via the EaganMatrix (which is, at least in some facets, a physical modelling engine), will get you there.

Beyond that, any wavetable synth with a robust modulation matrix and MPE support should get you close enough, with a little know-how and some time spent designing patches. I've heard very convincing, expressive solo strings, brass, and other acoustic sounds from both the Argon8 and Hydrasynth, for example. A step above that would be synths like the Waldorf Iridium. Even a multitimbral rompler that supports multisamples with good mod options would bridge the gap. I've seen the new Roland MC-707 used this way with good results.

Then there's modular... Mutable Instruments: Braids, Beads, and Plaits would each make for a good timbral starting point. That, and the donation of a kidney. :wink:

True, dedicated physical modelling of specific instruments though... Ya, I can't think of any hardware that's doing that off the top of my head.

Cheers!

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:20 am

Thanks John. I'll check those out.

I do love the sound of the continuum, but I've heard it's a huge bear to use. Not user friendly at all. Especially if you're just using it as a sound generator, and not playing the hardware instrument that comes with it, that it's configured for.

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:21 am

The korg z1 seems decent.

Check out the lead guitar:
https://youtu.be/oD182tI2lfI?t=258

woodwind:
https://youtu.be/oD182tI2lfI?t=485

KVRist
344 posts since 16 Sep, 2005

Post Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:59 am

Korg Volca Drum

KVRAF
6066 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:33 pm

Yamaha VP1, the classic. Only 9 had been built though, I guess hard to find/afford… A VL70m would be easier to get…
A continuum mini with the Eagan Matrix works nicely, or if you like to shell out more the Expressivee Osmose…
I would call a laptop or mac mini running Plasmonic a reasonable hardware. I could help you to set it up in a way that it doesn’t run anything else and directly boots into Bitwig 8-track with Plasmonic ready to play… (at the moment my favorite physical MPE toy…)
Or an iPad with Respiro running…

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:07 am

Tj Shredder wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:33 pm
I would call a laptop or mac mini running Plasmonic a reasonable hardware. I could help you to set it up in a way that it doesn’t run anything else and directly boots into Bitwig 8-track with Plasmonic ready to play… (at the moment my favorite physical MPE toy…)
Or an iPad with Respiro running…
That's a really great offer. This is probably what I need to do, as I have several VST's that I'm in love with (Audio modeling, equator, orange tree guitar series, guitar rig, etc).

Thanks so much! I'll pm you.

KVRer
1 posts since 9 Sep, 2021

Post Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:04 pm

Yamaha VL1 or VL1m are great.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”