Introducing Cherry Audio's Memorymode Synthesizer!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

but the factory sounds are pretty crap....

AnX wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:11 am nothing new in today's virtual synths.... same old stuff repackaged..... no matter what the synthesis type
'new sounds' = emperor's new clothes
there is nothing new
Developers tend to focus on low hanging fruit like emulating simple analog synths such as the Memorymoog rather than creating new forms of synthesis because it's harder to create something new than copy something that's already been done. I don't blame them because those plugins sell to people who either have never owned analog hardware or to those who have never progressed on from them.

Sure there is new if you have imagination. Sample based synths are only limited to the content you feed them which can be anything that makes a sound. If you limit yourself to saw,square,sine, or triangle waves then indeed there is nothing new.

I got bored with simple analog synths in the late 80's when the new sample based synths came on the market and suddenly we were no longer limited to buzzy saw waves we had the whole universe of sounds at our fingertips. For example I sold my Juno 60 in the early 90's because I had already gotten bored with it and now three decades later those sounds are just as tiresome as ever.

Now I'll still make analog type sounds just to have a play but I haven't used simple analog sounds in a project in quite some time.

"New Sounds" leads to new music. But if you're happy with using the same sounds year after year after year then more power to you.

I'm always looking for new sounds to expand the music I make. Even with my guitar I'm always looking for new sounds, new amps, new effects. To do otherwise would result in stagnation but again if the same sounds amuse you decade after decade then party on.... :party: .
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Sinisterbr wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:07 am Props to them, it does sound good. But... I also stopped bothering with direct emulations at this point. Much prefer having synths with more sonic possibilities like Massive X or even TAL-Mod.
In my opinion, the real point of this is to use it inside Voltage Modular. Load yourself up with a few of their other bundles and then you get the sonic possibilities that you’re talking about.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Teksonik wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:33 pm
AnX wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:11 am nothing new in today's virtual synths.... same old stuff repackaged..... no matter what the synthesis type
'new sounds' = emperor's new clothes
there is nothing new
Developers tend to focus on low hanging fruit like emulating simple analog synths such as the Memorymoog rather than creating new forms of synthesis because it's harder to create something new than copy something that's already been done. I don't blame them because those plugins sell to people who either have never owned analog hardware or to those who have never progressed on from them.

Sure there is new if you have imagination. Sample based synths are only limited to the content you feed them which can be anything that makes a sound. If you limit yourself to saw,square,sine, or triangle waves then indeed there is nothing new.

I got bored with simple analog synths in the late 80's when the new sample based synths came on the market and suddenly we were no longer limited to buzzy saw waves we had the whole universe of sounds at our fingertips. For example I sold my Juno 60 in the early 90's because I had already gotten bored with it and now three decades later those sounds are just as tiresome as ever.

Now I'll still make analog type sounds just to have a play but I haven't used simple analog sounds in a project in quite some time.

"New Sounds" leads to new music. But if you're happy with using the same sounds year after year after year then more power to you.

I'm always looking for new sounds to expand the music I make. Even with my guitar I'm always looking for new sounds, new amps, new effects. To do otherwise would result in stagnation but again if the same sounds amuse you decade after decade then party on.... :party: .
well, if its just 'new' sounds that amuse you, good luck

i prefer writing new songs :tu:

zerocrossing wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:46 pm
Sinisterbr wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:07 am Props to them, it does sound good. But... I also stopped bothering with direct emulations at this point. Much prefer having synths with more sonic possibilities like Massive X or even TAL-Mod.
In my opinion, the real point of this is to use it inside Voltage Modular. Load yourself up with a few of their other bundles and then you get the sonic possibilities that you’re talking about.
Is it available as modules for VM too?

aMUSEd wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:12 pm
Is it available as modules for VM too?
no, but they added it to the 'wish list' (saw it on YT)

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:13 pm I'll be waiting for Synapse's take on it.
don't think I'd bother, with 8 voice poly in Legend, I'm covered for poly moog sounds (even if it's slight diff)

Oh, no way. I understand what you mean, but I hate working with modules (and tabs, pages, small fonts, tiny knobs, and so on). Give me a fast workflow!

AnX wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:04 pm well, if its just 'new' sounds that amuse you, good luck
You're failing to grasp that I use new sounds to make new songs.

But if you prefer to write new songs using the same old sounds then good luck. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

AnX wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:19 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:13 pm I'll be waiting for Synapse's take on it.
don't think I'd bother, with 8 voice poly in Legend, I'm covered for poly moog sounds (even if it's slight diff)
Ha, maybe. Would still love to see what Richard & co would do with a LAMM Memorymoog :)

Teksonik wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:25 pm
AnX wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:04 pm well, if its just 'new' sounds that amuse you, good luck

But if you prefer to write new songs using the same old sounds then good luck. :tu:
Music depends mainly on notes (or lack thereof) and arrangements (even experimental), not type of sounds. There is no necessary correlation at all.

We make new tunes using lead instruments like bagpipes, violins, Celtic flutes, classical guitar (effect twisted like sht, tho) and more. And I have just expanded our lib with a lot of other old stuff, e.g. a long awaited hurdy gurdy. Synths are for bass, effects and sometimes close-to-subliminal pads only. It is a dedicated mix of old and new and fits our chosen concept and composition techniques. These tunes have not been written by anyone before, therefore NEW, but with a lot of flavors of the past :wink:
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:27 pm These tunes have not been written by anyone before, therefore NEW, but with a lot of flavors of the past :wink:
depends how you look at time
not just how you humans experience it, the actual mechanics of it.

Teksonik wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:25 pm

Still waiting to hear these new sounds :hyper:

are they sounds you made last week out of date? what sorta time frame/cut off are we looking at?

last week, Feb 21st 2008, or....?

vurt wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:32 pm
TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:27 pm These tunes have not been written by anyone before, therefore NEW, but with a lot of flavors of the past :wink:
depends how you look at time
it doesn't exist

Does one need an account just in order to try it?

Return to “Instruments”