Introducing Cherry Audio's Memorymode Synthesizer!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:06 pm
AnX wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:37 pm currently, yes :wink:
Sounds like some beta testers may be in the loop on that.
no idea, but you never know, it was extended on last update a fair bit (more mods is a popular request too) :wink:

The MM was retro fitted a long time ago, i believe he is working on both between updates to current products :tu:

bmanic wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:11 pm
wwjd wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:30 pm always baffled when people use grandiose perspectives like "Sounds NOTHING like it" and "Not even CLOSE", when, CLEARLY, it sounds VERY MUCH ALMOST identical. I did say almost. How does 90 to 100% equality end up nothing like it or not even close? Seems like it is more like it than not.
Is that like a ball game with a score of 46 to 45 being "not even close"? Perhaps the phrase itself is not understood?
It all comes down to perspective. What to you may sound 90% there may not be at all close to another user. Also, that missing 10% may actually be "the magic", or "the tone" that some people are looking for.

Basically you just described a person who thinks a burger is a burger, no matter where you buy it.. or that a steak is a steak, no matter how it was prepared or where it was sourced from. You taste the "general" taste of the meat.. instead of indulging in the nuances of it. Those nuances may be extremely important to some people.
Your analogy is perfect! I get that some think this or that is important, but my question is how do they say it doesn't taste like a burger AT ALL?
"This burger has the exact same ingredients, cooked same way, just as long as that other burger, but that other burger had salt on it... therefore that one is NOT EVEN CLOSE to this burger." That's a subjective way of looking at an objective thing. They are extremely close with only slightest taste differences. Using swiss or american cheese, it is still 99% a burger. Having it taste or be 5 to 10% different, doesn't change it out of burger territory, just because one's personal taste prefers it another way.

Heck, most of the real hardware gear was 1 to 5% different from their own brothers :D

I'm not brushing nuance importance aside, nor personal tastes or opinions, but saying something it not even close is far too grand when it is clearly almost an exact replica of a burger. :)

Also, not talking about people NOT LIKING the sound, that is a totally different thing. Everyone LIKES what they like, that's cool and expected.

theres a big difference between say, mcds, and actual food :shrug:

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:27 pm Music depends mainly on notes (or lack thereof) and arrangements (even experimental), not type of sounds. There is no necessary correlation at all.
Of course there is a correlation. A musical composition will sound a lot different if you use a Violin or a Tuba. Write a piece for Piano then have one person sing those notes....if they can figure out a way to sing chords. My guitar based music is completely different than the synth based stuff I do and so on.
TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:27 pmWe make new tunes using lead instruments like bagpipes, violins, Celtic flutes, classical guitar
So you get the concept of using a wide range of sounds in your compositions. That's great as some apparently do not.

But as always everyone should use what suites them best. The fact that I have gotten bored with simple analog sounds shouldn't trigger anyone but it does....such is the nature of KVR. :shrug:

Anyway back on topic, if you're a fan of the Memorymoog then for $39 I'd say the Cherry Audio emulation is a no brainer purchase. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

OK, there was some virtual cash left for me at PB, so again I could not resist. I bought it though I certainly do not need it.
Just to make my C-collection Komplete. I am confused ;-)

Teksonik wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:01 pm Of course there is a correlation. A musical composition will sound a lot different if you use a Violin or a Tuba.
Nope, since that would mean that classical music, which has had the same kind of instrumentation for centuries, could not come up with something new, e.g. serialism. Conversely, it would mean that any old tune made with new sounds would be a new tune, e.g. the famous “Switched on Bach” album. Different does not mean new by default. New sound is not necessarily new music and vice versa. Come on. You must be able to see that a correlation wont work because that means if one goes up, so does the other, and that ain’t the case. However, there may be synergy so a new tune could sound even newer if the sounds are new too, e.g. the synth pop breakthrough in the 80s.
Last edited by TribeOfHǫfuð on Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

vurt wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:12 pm theres a big difference between say, mcds, and actual food :shrug:
But the key is that you can't say for sure what exactly McDonalds is.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

FotoxBr wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:20 pm OK, there was some virtual cash left for me at PB, so again I could not resist. I bought it though I certainly do not need it.
Just to make my C-collection Komplete. I am confused ;-)
You are not alone! :scared:

e-crooner wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:19 pm
Roman Wisniak wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:07 pm
anttimaatteri wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:49 pm
Roman Wisniak wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:39 pm Actually I demoed it and don't like how it sounds.
I understand, it's only $39 ;)
aks cherry audio, if you can get it for 139. maybe it soudns better then
Hahah. :lol:
Anyway, it isn't so funny.
Cherry Audio got simple approach. Let's use building blocks from our modular synth and build lot of epic synths.
It failed just because every synth had different osc.
I've bought four CA synths and stoped when I realized all synths sound sameish.
What's most irritating, every synth sounds harsh, raw in unpleasant meaning.
Frankly, the original already sounded harsh and raw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uVXbTrUeZE
Seems like everyone is hearing it differently. :) That's ok. :)

Teksonik wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:01 pm The fact that I have gotten bored with simple analog sounds shouldn't trigger anyone but it does....such is the nature of KVR. :shrug:
Ha, then I am even worse. I have gotten bored with letting 100% of my music consist of synths sounds and taken them all away from the main instrumentation and into supportive/coloring functions. You may be a KVR law breaker but then I would be the mafioso. FWIW, I think posters who attack other’s music or musical preferences to make a point are mean, vulgar and morally and spiritually underprivileged. Do what you do and moon them, they deserve no further elaboration of your point than that. Listen to your inner muse and ignore the internet abyss of deluded posters.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

vurt wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:12 pm theres a big difference between say, mcds, and actual food :shrug:
and if we made a clone of a McD burger, or even I high end place burger, and a double blind test couldn't identify which was which... is there any real problem? :)
or if you added a pinch of salt to the clone, and that made it 99.9% identical, who even cares? :D

My thoughts:

I demoed it for about 5 minutes yesterday, then I bought it. I think that I own every synth that Cherry has released, so I knew that the chances would be pretty high that I'd be buying this one too. As long as Cherry keeps releasing cool and interesting synths, especially vintage synths that don't really exist in plugin form yet, then I'm a happy customer, especially at these prices.

I like the interface, it looks nice, large and sharp on my monitor and I like the sound too. Just quickly going through the patches and messing about on my midi keyboard revealed many sounds that I instantly liked.

I also listened to the youtube comparison video using good headphones and I am a critical listener, and yes, if somebody wishes to be anal about it, then there are small differences between the two on certain patches, but it's pretty damn close in my opinion and by the time this synth is sitting in a mix, eq'ed, tweaked etc., it'll end up sounding pretty awesome. This synth will suit me and my songs just fine.

All of these vintage synths that I could only dream about owning when they were first released have now become a reality for me and I'm glad to add another one to my collection.

Not sure what's the issue here. Cherry Audio offer a pretty cheap synth. It's an emulation. As such, it's not as close to the original as some people wish for (which - IMHO - is clearly audible from CA's own comparison videos). It also lacks some of the analogue character and detail that some other vendors offer (also IMHO, and as somebody who owns most of the stuff in the market, including most of CA's synths - which gave me tons of fun, too).

Still, it's very usable, and some people are quite satisfied with it, and the bang for the buck is definitely there.

Basically, it's down to individual preference and choice, and the respective use case. If you have fun with it, then it's o.k., no? And if not - that's also ok! Why argue for pages about "I like it/I don't"? Ah, o.k., forgot: It's KvR, we need to do that to fulfill the expectations... :party:

So: Peace, and go make some music instead. 8)

Yeh, everyone can download the demo and try it next to their hardware MemoryMoog :lol:
If you want it to sound more like an old Moog just crack the drift to maximum!

Great value VST as always from CA assuming you like the basic MemoryMoog sound (personally, it doesn't do much for me so I am skipping this one)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

At least McDs is regulated by the government, in the US anyway. Pretty sure they have to prove
that their food wont kill you, if that's all you eat. Which a surprising number of people actually
do. I like the double quarter pounders with cheese and probably eat 4 of them per year or so. :P

Sry OT...

Return to “Instruments”