Introducing Cherry Audio's Memorymode Synthesizer!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can add additional character using Unify although slightly more faff

Just do 8 instances all mono then adjust tuning, cutoff frequency etc for each and you've am even more analogue sounding synth as per voice

I mapped that DIFT knob to that extra 9th slider on my controller. It works in real time. Fun!

Also, discovered the choice of wood color alters the oscillator tones! (Ok, I'm kidding, but you thought about it, didn't you!)

wwjd wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:37 pm
bmanic wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:11 pm
wwjd wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:30 pm always baffled when people use grandiose perspectives like "Sounds NOTHING like it" and "Not even CLOSE", when, CLEARLY, it sounds VERY MUCH ALMOST identical. I did say almost. How does 90 to 100% equality end up nothing like it or not even close? Seems like it is more like it than not.
Is that like a ball game with a score of 46 to 45 being "not even close"? Perhaps the phrase itself is not understood?
It all comes down to perspective. What to you may sound 90% there may not be at all close to another user. Also, that missing 10% may actually be "the magic", or "the tone" that some people are looking for.

Basically you just described a person who thinks a burger is a burger, no matter where you buy it.. or that a steak is a steak, no matter how it was prepared or where it was sourced from. You taste the "general" taste of the meat.. instead of indulging in the nuances of it. Those nuances may be extremely important to some people.
Your analogy is perfect! I get that some think this or that is important, but my question is how do they say it doesn't taste like a burger AT ALL?
"This burger has the exact same ingredients, cooked same way, just as long as that other burger, but that other burger had salt on it... therefore that one is NOT EVEN CLOSE to this burger." That's a subjective way of looking at an objective thing. They are extremely close with only slightest taste differences. Using swiss or american cheese, it is still 99% a burger. Having it taste or be 5 to 10% different, doesn't change it out of burger territory, just because one's personal taste prefers it another way.

Heck, most of the real hardware gear was 1 to 5% different from their own brothers :D

I'm not brushing nuance importance aside, nor personal tastes or opinions, but saying something it not even close is far too grand when it is clearly almost an exact replica of a burger. :)

Also, not talking about people NOT LIKING the sound, that is a totally different thing. Everyone LIKES what they like, that's cool and expected.
.. because the nuance is what "makes the product" for many people. If it's a burger or almost a burger, is irrelevant. It's why you choose a high-end burger joint instead of going to McDonalds.

Thus, it's why you'd rather use a real Memory Moog instead of what Cherry Audio created here. Which is why saying "It's not even close" makes complete sense. The part that should be emulated, the nuances, the tone, isn't there.. making it irrelevant for many. If you just want a few basic oscillators with some basic filtering and modulation, you might as well use any other synth with those features and get 90% there for these very basic sounds.

.. that was my point.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Nice to see this released, hope to try it soon.
I owned the hardware for years.

It was a gorgeous synth to look at (especially with its light sequence mode turned on).
It was good for a lot of things, strings, bass, etc.

I was trained by Moog on tuning the oscillators on the circuit boards.
Always wondered why it wasn't more well known.

I think all emulations should have an onboard equalizer because that often allows you to dial in the little something, like a little edge or nasal character.
I think that when the features of the original are all there and working properly, and there are no technical issues such as aliasing, a very similar sound is not that hard to achieve.

The “Modern” setting is a simple EQ that boosts the lower and some higher frequencies. I find that it doesn’t need it normally, but it’s there if someone wants to use it.

A burger is low end by definition. So is a Memory Moog. Perfect emulation :-)

[/quote]

.. because the nuance is what "makes the product" for many people. If it's a burger or almost a burger, is irrelevant. It's why you choose a high-end burger joint instead of going to McDonalds.

Thus, it's why you'd rather use a real Memory Moog instead of what Cherry Audio created here. Which is why saying "It's not even close" makes complete sense. The part that should be emulated, the nuances, the tone, isn't there.. making it irrelevant for many. If you just want a few basic oscillators with some basic filtering and modulation, you might as well use any other synth with those features and get 90% there for these very basic sounds.

.. that was my point.
[/quote]

I understand your perspective of over valuing a certain PART of something to the point of not wanting it because of that, full respect of those personal chocies. But I disagree with it being "not even close" because of a minor difference.

If 99 out of a 100 can't detect the difference in double blind tests, the 1% can't say it is "ALL wrong", just, yes, there is a difference. If more than 50% are able to correctly identify something different, than yes, it will be off by more than half.

if 99 say it tastes like a burger, and 1 says it tastes like a banana, I'd bank on the 99% being a more accurate rep of the product being "very close" over "not at all close".

You are, of course allowed to value what you want, but calling a burger a banana doesn't work.

And no one has time to setup said blind double test, but I'm still very confident what the results would be. :)

FotoxBr wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:46 pm A burger is low end by definition. So is a Memory Moog. Perfect emulation :-)
Nope. You are wrong. This is not even close. Sounds more like a wet tennis shoe thrown out of a 2nd story window, with a squeaker toy in it, landing on rain soaked pavement.
That's what I hear in my ears, so this is not even close :D [sarcsasm]

wwjd wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:15 pm
FotoxBr wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:46 pm A burger is low end by definition. So is a Memory Moog. Perfect emulation :-)
Nope. You are wrong. This is not even close. Sounds more like a wet tennis shoe thrown out of a 2nd story window, with a squeaker toy in it, landing on rain soaked pavement.
That's what I hear in my ears, so this is not even close :D [sarcsasm]
Turn off the effects and try the dry tennis shoe patch.

[/quote]

Turn off the effects and try the dry tennis shoe patch.
[/quote]

NO! Now the shoe is DRY!!! It is shaped like a shoe, looks like a shoe, can be used as a shoe, smells like a shoe, and tastes like a shoe, has laces like a shoe, a rubber sole like a shoe, but it is missing the moisture I require in a shoe, and, therefore, is NOTHING LIKE a shoe. Not even close.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:13 pm Those who don't hear any differences in the comparison video need to rinse their ears a bit. :) The OG is ballsier, more intermodulation distortions (CA's sounds too clean and more sterile, particularly in the vocal and bell-like sounds showcased)...

I'll be waiting for Synapse's take on it.
The very first sound in the comparison and they lost me. Like I said in the other thread, kudos to them for daring to put up a comparison.

I hope Synapse nail it. I love my Memorymoog LAMM but I would love three modern analog synths and/or a full blown modular I could buy with the money I could make selling it.

machinesworking wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:55 am
EvilDragon wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:13 pm Those who don't hear any differences in the comparison video need to rinse their ears a bit. :) The OG is ballsier, more intermodulation distortions (CA's sounds too clean and more sterile, particularly in the vocal and bell-like sounds showcased)...

I'll be waiting for Synapse's take on it.
The very first sound in the comparison and they lost me. Like I said in the other thread, kudos to them for daring to put up a comparison.

I hope Synapse nail it. I love my Memorymoog LAMM but I would love three modern analog synths and/or a full blown modular I could buy with the money I could make selling it.
Could you describe the differences you notice in that first comparison sound? I'd like to learn how people are hearing things.

Re Cherry's comparison video. I hear definite differences is areas of nuance. But IMO MMode is very close in sound and I like the sound. No brainer for me @$33. At the very least its around the cost of a soundset and the synth comes with it! It doesnt sound exactly like the MMoog in the video but no two MMoogs will sound the same. there can be differences as large as demonstrated between MMoog and MMode. It will sound fine in a mix and still convey the MMoog vibe.

plexuss wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:58 pm no two MMoogs will sound the same
this is a myth created by software companies :wink:

Return to “Instruments”