Introducing Cherry Audio's Memorymode Synthesizer!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm sure they differ in terms of parameter range, and calibration, and also in the amount of saturation in the signal path, but, I don't think the differences will be that big that you would say "OMG! It's a totally different instrument!". ;)

And, regarding the myth created by software companies: Who knows. :lol: Would be a good excuse for inaccurate modelling. ;)

Wasn't the Memorymoon a rather rare synth? I doubt many people here have ever played that synth. So how are they going to compare?! Differences in the video might be the result of poor parameter matching on the part of the sound designer. Except for 1 or 2 patches they sound very similar in the video.

AnX wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:08 pm
plexuss wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:58 pm no two MMoogs will sound the same
this is a myth created by software companies :wink:
I've had two moogs of the same model a various times in my life. Not a MMoog but Minimoogs (I had 3 at one point), The Source, micromoogs and Rogues. They all sound slightly different across models. For the minimoog this applies with the same osc card gen - the newer card sounds a bit more different. My experience with this differs greatly from yours and since I have had this evidence first hand and over many years with many different models, I am going to have to stick with my position on this.

wwjd wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:07 pm Could you describe the differences you notice in that first comparison sound? I'd like to learn how people are hearing things.
There are the few differences to me. The most obvious is that the attack on the MMoog resolves the ring mod much more clearly than the MMode. On the MMode is sounds like a filter mod with a little freq osc mod rasp in the background. The MMoog attack freq mod is much more distinct.
Last edited by plexuss on Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plexuss wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:01 pm
I've had two moogs of the same model a various times in my life. Not a MMoog but Minimoogs (I had 3 at one point), The Source, micromoogs and Rogues. They all sound slightly different across models. For the minimoog this applies with the same osc card gen - the newer card sounds a bit more different. My experience with this differs greatly from yours and since I have had this evidence first hand and over many years with many different models, I am going to have to stick with my position on this.
diff models may sound diff, but the same synth that is calibrated and maintained correctly sound so close you can't tell the difference....

if you can, there is a problem with one of the synths

chk071 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:11 pm
And, regarding the myth created by software companies: Who knows. :lol: Would be a good excuse for inaccurate modelling. ;)
wouldn't it just :wink:

well there is some physics involved with HW that isnt modeled because doing so would be ridiculous. it happens independantly of the hardware. thats why emulations can never be
exactly the same.

pekbro wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:03 pm well there is some physics involved with HW that isnt modeled because doing so would be ridiculous. it happens independantly of the hardware. thats why emulations can never be
exactly the same.
unless ik multimedia can prove we live in a simulation? :tu:

AnX wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:22 pm
plexuss wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:01 pm
diff models may sound diff, but the same synth that is calibrated and maintained correctly sound so close you can't tell the difference....

if you can, there is a problem with one of the synths
You are wrong.* But that's ok, a lot of that going around these days. My observed evidence trumps your opinion, sorry.

* TL'DR
These kinds of instruments are 30-50 years old or more. There are so many changes in each instruments components and materials that they often have audible differences across the same model. I would tend to agree with you if we were talking about brand new instruments within a narrow serial number range (same batch). But these days, no - there will be audible differences beyond having similar core sound character. Differences can be with timing parameters, the effects of beating oscilators, filter texture etc.
Last edited by plexuss on Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plexuss wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:03 pm There are the few differences to me. The most obvious is that the attack on the MMoog resolves the ring mod much more clearly than the MMode. On the MMode is sounds like a filter mod with a little ring mod rasp in the background. But the MMoog sounds purely and distinctly ring mod.
Neither hard- nor software does ring modulation, does it ? Personally I find voice modulation on the plugin rather disappointing. It basically works quite well, but there's way too much pitch randomization to take advantage of it. Pity, really.

ELEX wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:15 pm
plexuss wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:03 pm There are the few differences to me. The most obvious is that the attack on the MMoog resolves the ring mod much more clearly than the MMode. On the MMode is sounds like a filter mod with a little ring mod rasp in the background. But the MMoog sounds purely and distinctly ring mod.
Neither hard- nor software does ring modulation, does it ? Personally I find voice modulation on the plugin rather disappointing. It basically works quite well, but there's way too much pitch randomization to take advantage of it. Pity, really.
Ring mod : /.... sorry, I meant freq mod. ( why can't ring mod be done in hardware or software? i've seen many ring mod as part of a hardware synth and stand alone effect and there are companies making ring mod effects, like kilohearts and melda to name a couple.... just curious what you mean...? )

plexuss wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:36 pm
ELEX wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:15 pm
Ring mod : /.... sorry, I meant freq mod. ( why can't ring mod be done in hardware or software? i've seen many ring mod as part of a hardware synth and stand alone effect and there are companies making ring mod effects, like kilohearts and melda to name a couple.... just curious what you mean...? )
I think Elex meant no RM in Memorymoog or Memorymode.

Examigan wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:22 pm I think Elex meant no RM in Memorymoog or Memorymode.
That was indeed the case, thank you. I absolutely love it in synths, btw. Ring modulation, that is.

ELEX wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:35 pm That was indeed the case, thank you. I absolutely love it in synths, btw. Ring modulation, that is.
Totally agree. The Arp Odyssey and 2600 both have killer ring mod. The CS-80 ring mod is perhaps the best one ever.
Stormchild

chk071 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:11 pm I'm sure they differ in terms of parameter range, and calibration, and also in the amount of saturation in the signal path, but, I don't think the differences will be that big that you would say "OMG! It's a totally different instrument!". ;)
Yes, but you can do similar sounds with any synth of the same synth structure.

And by the way, differences don't have to be big, to be important.

Return to “Instruments”