Introducing Cherry Audio's Memorymode Synthesizer!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I see there are positive and negative impressions in this thread. Imo, the draw here is having a polyphonic Moog VI -- one based on an instrument that was 'meant' to be polyphonic, unlike what Arturia did with their mini. Some of the negative reactions *could* be based on the fact that the Memorymoog just wasn't all that awesome in terms of that big raw Moog sound. Just because it's an older Moog doesn't mean it was fantastic. I owned a Voyager for a while which I thought would be a life-long possession. I only held onto it for a couple months because it was undeniably bright and sterile compared to my Moog Grandmother. So, this plugin isn't gonna sound like a Matriarch, but it probably sounds close enough to what it's emulating. And unlike a Matriarch you get to use it in your DAW with patch memory.

wwjd wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:07 pm
machinesworking wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:55 am
EvilDragon wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:13 pm Those who don't hear any differences in the comparison video need to rinse their ears a bit. :) The OG is ballsier, more intermodulation distortions (CA's sounds too clean and more sterile, particularly in the vocal and bell-like sounds showcased)...

I'll be waiting for Synapse's take on it.
The very first sound in the comparison and they lost me. Like I said in the other thread, kudos to them for daring to put up a comparison.

I hope Synapse nail it. I love my Memorymoog LAMM but I would love three modern analog synths and/or a full blown modular I could buy with the money I could make selling it.
Could you describe the differences you notice in that first comparison sound? I'd like to learn how people are hearing things.
The very first sound in the comparison video, the real MM has a slight slam on the attack that simply isn't there in the Cherry Audio one. Sounds like a quick filter rise maybe 1/4 of a second or less, and it pretty much makes the sound. The Cherry one is just not there.
Like I said, no one is more disappointed than me, I love the Memorymoog but it's literally too rich for my blood, but I don't want to sell it until I can get some of the same sounds elsewhere. Again it would be fantastic if they spent the extra time and charged more for it, but they're going for bargain basement Arturia from 15 years ago level sounds.

Don't get me wrong I like the Arturia stuff, just not as actual representations of the synths they modeled, more like VA send ups.

louderup wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:59 am Some of the negative reactions *could* be based on the fact that the Memorymoog just wasn't all that awesome in terms of that big raw Moog sound.
:dog:
Yeah, no, that's just not the case at all. The MM is huge sounding, it's filter is unique even to Moogs. I almost never use FX at all on the MM tracks in my songs, they just don't need them.

Unfortunately one doesn't see the settings he used on each...

In one of those videos they said that the MeMo (to tell it apart from the MM :hihi: ) oscillators clip when turned beyond 80% in the mixer. In the video he has osc 1 set to max, not sure about the other ones, the knobs are hard to read even when zooming in.
Does the software emulate that clipping? It seems to sound less edgy...

e-crooner wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:24 pm Does the software emulate that clipping?
You got me curious ; turns out it does.
MMSat.png
top to bottom: 1 osc low level ; 1 osc max ; 3 osc max
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cool. Which plugin did you use to capture those waveforms?

I, on the other hand, don't mind the Cherry and Arturia emulations - they sound generally like their hardware counter-parts, enough to be useful to me to capture that sonic context. And enough that I don't pine for the hardware when I call up the plugin expecting the sound of the hardware - good enough to write decent sounding music with! www.soundcloud.com/musicofplexux

"Music?" What is that??

wwjd wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:07 pm "Music?" What is that??
I know... I am just crazy that way. :D

e-crooner wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:32 pm Cool. Which plugin did you use to capture those waveforms?
Signalizer ( https://www.jthorborg.com/index.html?ipage=signalizer ). Free and useful. The pic is a just quick & dirty stitching of screenshots, though.
plexuss wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:45 pm I, on the other hand, don't mind the Cherry and Arturia emulations - they sound generally like their hardware counter-parts, enough to be useful to me to capture that sonic context. And enough that I don't pine for the hardware when I call up the plugin expecting the sound of the hardware - good enough to write decent sounding music with! www.soundcloud.com/musicofplexux
I, much on the same hand, don't either in many regards. These plugins can be useful for all sorts. They certainly can produce decent sounding music, fine music even. I couldn't care less if they do not sound exactly like their hardware counterparts, having a distinct character will suffice. But what they should get right is functionality. For instance, hardsync is a very powerful feature of many synths, esp. when combined with FM and/or ring modulation. A wonderful way of going beyond the standard timbres, both static or modulated. And many a VST emulation fails miserably in this regard, greatly reducing functionality. Memorymode's sync is nowhere near good enough. Also, ever tried to modulate Arturia's 2600 filter at frequency multiples ? Won't work, there's an LPF on the modulation input ! CA's PS-20 does not have the massively significant 'total' patchpoint ! Just a few examples of differences that are significant imo.

Remembering the burger analogy from earlier: a better one might be comparing a high-end waterproof watch to a cheap copy. The differences will show when pressure is applied.

Having said that: I quite happily bought some CA software, being aware of it's limitations. Also Arturia. And Brainworx ( even with Knifonium having appallingly bad sync :wink: .) And of course there's excellent work from the likes of U-he, Synapse or Softube. Arturia's recent synths are quite good too, I think.
wwjd wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:07 pm "Music?" What is that??
Music ? Never touch the stuff if I can help it ! It's said to increase mental capabilities. Can't have that, now can we ? Not in this day and age. :wink:
Last edited by ELEX on Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:13 pm I'll be waiting for Synapse's take on it.
I love Synapse Synths, do you know they are planning to develop their version of the Memorymoog ? or just hoping they do it one of these days ?

It's also $33 (JRR, Everyplugin) vs other emulations - for those who have use for such an instrument its a great deal for what you get.

I rather trust Synapse, Softube, U-He and to some extent Arturia for these emulations. However, my interest in these emulations is somehow dwindling every day. Currently I find only the Motorola DSP emulator on which the Virus C runs interesting. Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather buy a modern synth with some interesting new features than another Moog X emulation.

Well, I love it. Bought it.

Having never touched or owned a real MemoryMoog, yet always wanting one, I've already lost hours messing about with this MemoryMode plugin. Even started from scratch, building my own patch, which is something I'm almost never inspired to do lately

PS had also recently installed the MemoryMoon demo, and it was fine overall, not blowing my skirt up, not as good or modern TO ME, as this new version

I've been making some presets this morning and got some pretty cool sounds from it. :)

Return to “Instruments”