Nettle, fresh and free

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I guess it makes sense to talk in the Instruments forum also about this KVR Developer Challenge entry. Suggestions and bug reports until voting has ended I’d still place in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=567869 as the dev is reading that…

We don’t have many scanned synthesis instruments, and I think this is the first free one. Very organic sounds…

Here we can discuss practical things like how to program sounds or share some music or patches…

Definitely different, I remember scanned synth pro (or whatever it was called) that was hard to get your head around but some of the organic sounding noises you can get from it, and the metallic ones are immense. I remember I bought a preset pack for scanned synth pro (Cant remember the guys name who made it my bad) but it was awesome, and really made great use of the synth, where I struggled.

I hope Nettle gets the same love because with the few presets there are it shows its capable of some wierd stuff, which is always great and fun to have. Originality goes a long way with me. (even if I dont understand it)
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Hey TJ,
thanks for the suggestion, very cool and unique sounding synth, I'd never heard of scanned synthesis before. Now if we could get MPE... :)

I am enjoying Nettle quite a bit - love the way the sound evolves as a natural aspect of the synthesis. I hope the dev continues development as the approach seems like it could really add something to what is available. I am already using Nettle in a piece and can see Nettle going being used well into the future

That's a very cool synth. I love the "organic" evolving sounds.

This is good, and I don't even like sinthesisers.

LeVzi wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:41 am Definitely different, I remember scanned synth pro (or whatever it was called) that was hard to get your head around but some of the organic sounding noises you can get from it, and the metallic ones are immense. I remember I bought a preset pack for scanned synth pro (Cant remember the guys name who made it my bad) but it was awesome, and really made great use of the synth, where I struggled.

I hope Nettle gets the same love because with the few presets there are it shows its capable of some wierd stuff, which is always great and fun to have. Originality goes a long way with me. (even if I dont understand it)
Whoa, this is cool. Thanks for the heads-up. I was a beta tester for Scanned synth/Scanned synth pro (on the premise of making a preset bank for it), but it was a complete mystery to me as to how to intentionally get/do something with it. Made some cool/interesting sounds, but whether anyone would consider them remotely "musical" or even usable other than as some novelty fx, was another matter. And it crashed constantly. Enzyme was a little better, but I had grown weary of it by then, and was busy with various projects. Although this one viewtopic.php?f=1&t=128692 was fun, and visually appealing.

I suspect the Scanned Synth Pro bank you are referring to was made by Xenos Soundworks. :wink:

Will def be checking this out. :tu:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

That was it, Xenos, yeah, was a dubstep style bank IIRC, but the synth was capable of some mental wierd sounds. But so hard to get my head around it.

Sounds good but somehow limited in types of sounds you can make with it. Is there a chance to expand the “palette” of sounds?

LeVzi wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:38 pm That was it, Xenos, yeah, was a dubstep style bank IIRC, but the synth was capable of some mental wierd sounds. But so hard to get my head around it.
Yeah, that was what did me in with it, though I do understand the underlying principles of it, I just couldn't 'functionally' grasp the 'how(did that happen)-and/or what-or-why(did that affect that)' of it, to the degree that I could do anything even vaguely predictable. :shrug:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Shabdahbriah wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:49 pm
LeVzi wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:38 pm That was it, Xenos, yeah, was a dubstep style bank IIRC, but the synth was capable of some mental wierd sounds. But so hard to get my head around it.
Yeah, that was what did me in with it, though I do understand the underlying principles of it, I just couldn't 'functionally' grasp the 'how(did that happen)-and/or what-or-why(did that affect that)' of it, to the degree that I could do anything even vaguely predictable. :shrug:
Exactly how I felt about it. Great concept, just a mess to use. Hopefully Nettle is easier to get my head around, i'll spend some time with it soon.

Yeah this is my favourite new synth from the challenge even though it's the most niche. The sound palette is different to all my other synths which is good. It's great for making weird out there sounds and atmospheres. I like that they narrowed down to a simple and one page layout. It's quite easy to go overboard with exotic synthesis methods.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

I totally respect the fact that some of you may love it, cool for you, but afaiac I uninstalled it a couple of minutes after trying. Strictly no use for it, and the sound is uninteresting to me, lo-fi souding and garbled. Seems to me like an experiment, not a winner.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Return to “Instruments”