LinnStrument with Android

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
KVRer
6 posts since 5 Apr, 2020

Post Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:04 am

Hi All,

To date I have been running my LinnStrument at my desktop computer using the USB cable and Bitwig. However my needs / use are changing slightly and I'd like to explore options that will allow me to play away from my desk.

I'm aware that the LinnStrument can be powered via an Apple lightning cable and run from Apple tablets using software such as Mainstage, however I'm an Android user with no Apple products.

Is there a viable way of running LinnStrument from software on an Android tablet? Powering the LinnStrument via a USB-C on the tablet to the LinnStrument's USB-B, or separately via the mains charging option?

I'm playing as a personal hobby and not for live performance or production, so the actual quality of the software and latency etc. aren't critical. I'd much prefer to buy a mains charger and spend some money on the right software than need to invest in an Apple tablet.

Best regards,
Zirconium

KVRer
8 posts since 3 Mar, 2021

Post Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:23 pm

Hi Zirconium,

Before you go too far down this path, you might want to assess the availability of synths on Android. I use Mac, iPad and an Android phone, and there's WAAAY more music software available and supported on the Apple products than on Android. From the tiny number of direct comparisons I've done, the Apple music software is both significantly better and cheaper than the exact same software on Android.

Your Android device will have either micro-USB or USB-C connectors, both of which will connect directly to a USB hub. Physical connectivity shouldn't be a problem.

Just about every Android device can run in USB Host mode, making it look like "a computer" from the Linnstrument's perspective. If so, you could potentially directly wire your Linnstrument to your Android device, if it can handle the power drain. Maybe check your Android device model just to be certain.

I'm not aware of any DAW-type software available for Android, but I haven't looked either. It could be out there but the vendors are keeping pretty quiet about it if it is.

Onto synths. I know Shaper is available on Android, and it's quite a nice synth on iOS. Wotja is available on Android, but probably not that much use with a Linnstrument unless you're a lot cleverer than I am. There seems to be quite a lot of "toy synths" on Android, but not a lot of particularly creative synths if my Google skills are still working OK. Happy to be proven wrong - if you find a trove of great Android synths, please speak up!

Good luck

KVRist
248 posts since 12 Sep, 2007

Post Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:22 am

I would suggest you might want to try and use a real computer not a large sized phone ecosystem/OS like Android and iOS. On the other hand, it seems like there's lots of free "Toy Synths" in that market.
So why not try it for yourself?
Dirk

KVRist
51 posts since 9 Aug, 2017

Post Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:09 pm

Forget about Android for music, there's little to no synths there, plus the issues of latency etc.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”