Can a cheap 3d-party Camera Connection Kit damage my Linnstrument?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
KVRer
7 posts since 16 Feb, 2021

Post Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:44 pm

Hi i want to connect my Linnstrument to my iPad, but i also would like to avoid spending 40€ on the Original Apple Camera Connection Kit, so i bought a cheap one for 15€ of Amazon. Before i use it, has anybody had any bad experiences? Or is the worst that can happen that it doesn’t work and the Linnstrument is safe anyway? Thanks!

KVRAF
1813 posts since 8 Jun, 2010
Roger Linn Design

Post Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:16 pm

If you see LinnStrument’s lights flash unexpectedly, it’s not getting sufficient power. If this happens enough times while its writing to internal flash, there’s a chance the LinnStrument will stop working. Even though there are no lights and no button response in this state, LinnStrument will accept an OS update, which will bring it back to life. However, if you see any unexpected light flashes, it’s best to change to a better power source. There’s more information about this on the Hooking It Up page.

KVRer

Topic Starter

7 posts since 16 Feb, 2021

Post Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:29 pm

Thank you for the quick answer! I will check out the Hooking it up page. So if there is no light flashing, and everything appears to work as intended, the Linnstrument gets enough power and I don’t have to worry about it being damaged. Thanks for the help!

edit: I tested it, and the Adapter produces a high pitch noise, which is quite worrying and also annoying so I think I have to go with the Apple one anyway.

KVRian
566 posts since 28 Mar, 2017

Post Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:23 pm

If only for posterity, I feel compelled to say, it's not worth using third-party adapters just to save a buck. If you want to use LinnStrument with an iPad or any other iDevice, just bite the proverbial bullet and get a proper Apple adapter.

Cheers!

KVRAF
1813 posts since 8 Jun, 2010
Roger Linn Design

Post Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:42 am

One more thing to add: for using LinnStrument with a Lightning iPad, I think the best solution is to use a USB Y-cable as described on the Hooking It Up page. (It terminates in 2 flat USB connectors, one for data and another for a power adaptor.) That way, LinnStrument is always getting correct power and you place no burden on the inherent power limitations of the Lightning port because you’re it only for data.

Also, the problem I described in the previous post of LinnStrument failing due to repeated use with insufficient power, fixed by reloaded the OS, is described on the LinnStrument FAQ page, Problems tab, second FAQ from the bottom.

KVRist
51 posts since 9 Aug, 2017

Post Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:07 pm

I'm using cheap chinese lightning to usb B cable without issues though a couple of ios versions. But I do have CCK, too.

KVRian
566 posts since 28 Mar, 2017

Post Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:12 pm

And down the garden path they go again... :wink:

Yes, you might get lucky, or you might end up wasting an inordinate amount of time dealing with a horde of headaches, all to save ten bucks. The choice is indeed yours.

Cheers!

Return to “Roger Linn Design”