E-Phonic Invader 2 v1.0.11 (WIN / OSX)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Invader 2

e-crooner wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:12 pm R2 sounds a bit unspectacular at first, but once you know it inside out, it is pretty capable :) The best 10 dollars I ever invested re music software :hihi:
Thanks for sharing the patch. It’s great sharing common interests! I had a try last night, and Retrologue 2 is very good. I’ll have another go tonight, and see if I can sort out the scaling of the UI, as the vst was quite small on my monitor.

I’m very much a purist and love getting back to basics. I’d happily sit playing a chunky low-cut saw combined with a bit of noise, all day long 😀

The sound and workflow of Invader 2 has found a home with me.

Nice little synth.

And the registration was easy peasy.

mjudge55 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:56 pm Doesn't it have legato via the dropdown under glide? Sorry if this was covered.
That worked great. Thank you! For some reason, I was expecting to see the setting under the polyphony selection area. I should read the manual…

I decided to make the version I am working on available and give you a sneak peak. I will be 'off the grid' for a couple of weeks, so I thought it would be nice to give you something to play with in the meantime ;-) This version is work in progress but I think has some nice improvements that are usable as is. I do expect a bug or 2 as this update required some mayor changes to the synth engine.

v1.0.8 NEXT
  • Adds sustain pedal support
  • Fix: update midi controller status after loading preset.
  • Fix: song conversion from v1.0.3 working again
  • The position of the preset 'save' button has changed
  • Reworked MIDI note handling
  • Key assign mode selection added:
    • REUSE: reuse already playing voices with the same midi note
    • NEW: assigns midi notes to new voices if available
  • ARP now works correctly in polyphonic mode
  • ARP now handles velocity
  • SEQ now has 2 play modes, Sequencer Play (Poly) and Sequencer Play (Seq).
    • Sequencer Play (Poly) plays the (polyphonic) notes you play and applies the pitch of the sequencer to the notes
    • Sequencer Play (Seq) plays the sequence transposed to the note you play.
  • Unused PW / SYNC controls are hidden when Triangle or Saw oscillator types are active.
  • Oscillators that have exactly the the same pitch (or a multiple) are synced when a note is triggered. (to improve consistency in sound)
  • New phase offset slider added to control the initial phase when oscillators are synced/restarted.
  • Reduced 'clicking' when using the ARP with the triangle oscillator
  • Presets are updated for the new phase controls
You can download version 1.0.8 NEXT directly below v1.0.7:
https://www.e-phonic.com/invader.html

Thank you, E-Phonic!

Brilliant ! Thank you!

If you like Invader, you should check out GR-8, in the Dev Challenge, if you haven't already. They are superficially similar, yet surprisingly different.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

e-crooner wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:56 pm
sqigls wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:37 am
e-crooner wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:10 pm For synth basses I still like Sylenth1 the most. It has a lot of Moog DNA 8)
I actually compared Sylenth1 to my DSI Tempest a couple of years ago, when i was trying to drag my live sets away from relying on too much hardware. I could get it sounding the same, every time. And I'm a fussy c**t. So Sylenth ended up as my live bass synth, in one project at least. not to hijack the thread with talk about another synth :P
Just looked it up, wasn't Tempest a drum computer? In what way did you compare it to Sylenth1?! 8) Sure, you can make drum sounds on Sylenth1, pretty good ones for a normal synth actually, but still, probably far inferior to Tempest.

Yeah the Tempest is a drum synth... but it's pretty much a 6 voice poly analog. Curtis filters yay.
It's solid though. I one particular project (dub reggae) i had it running as my drums and bass. Drums i have a billion options, bass i wanted something that responded to midi patch change messages, Sylenth was one option, and for the most part it was a solid low end as the Tempest. yay trivia. It was just a surprise to me is all... I never really bothered to use Sylenth for basses before.

I think this instrument is worth resurrecting this thread for. I've got hold of a few similar things lately - GR-8, Deducktion and Saurus. They are good, solid synths but I think Invader 2 outshines them all. There is something really nice about the way it sounds and the layout is excellent, which makes it a real pleasure to work with.

I use it for a few different things but where it seems to excel is with strings patches. There are a couple of good strings presets that are excellent stepping off points for making your own. On one of our songs I've got it sounding more like a sampled string ensemble than a synth, to really good effect. And the feature set is good enough that it's more versatile than it might seem at first. It's a really good thing.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Invader 2 is an understated masterpiece, in my experience so far.
A well-behaved signature.

Here are eight of the patches I have made so far...

https://app.box.com/s/kyxac75skcksx9hhg7mx9u0c6rqzznkz

Like the synth. It's clean, simple and high quality. The sound is kind of clinical or precise in some hard to explain way so I often end up throwing like a cassette tape or saturation/distortion on afterwards, but I like stuff that sounds like a mess.

OK, I officially love this synth, I know, because I can spend hours making up sounds with it, which is really easy to do because of the great UI. :)

So my number feature request is ............... please do not be tempted to clutter it with added features.

Having said that, would it be possible to implement a bi-timbral mode with split keyboard without causing clutter ?

I know nothing about programming, but is that a really hard thing to do ?

Why would you need that when you can just load two instances and do a keyboard split in your host?

My only request would be more oomph in the filter's drive or maybe some post-filter saturation as well. But I can fatten it up with effects so it's no biggie.

Return to “Instruments”