Electric Piano ('73) Comparison

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
6330 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Post Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:08 am

Sorry about this, but it also needs repeating...
Anything requiring iLok is not worth it.
(I owned two - a Suitcase and the Mark 1 for over twenty years.)
Pianoteq and AAS are all the pros without the memories of the cons. And so far, I've found all the sampled ones, while good in their own realm, have annoying cons for me. (Mostly in velocity interpolation.)

Although in Acoustics, I find Grand 3 much more comfortable than Kontakt pianos. Hence I'm still wondering if anyone has installed Vibrant in HAL yet?

KVRer

Topic Starter

16 posts since 29 Jun, 2021

Post Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:42 am

Busy the last days, so now it's time for trying the stage-73 V2. Can I install the demo parallel to my V1?

And I got the Lounge Lizard Session now... all I can say: it's absolutely amazing (thanks for your recommendation)! Articulation, Responsiveness, Detail... all there!
LL Session engine seems to be the same than full EP4...
Excited how stage-73 V2 compares to the LL in my personal experience.

Maybe I'll try one of the mentioned sampling variants another time... for the moment I'm fine!;)

KVRian
1048 posts since 26 Apr, 2019 from Netherlands

Post Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:58 am

spike_z wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:42 am
Busy the last days, so now it's time for trying the stage-73 V2. Can I install the demo parallel to my V1?
Yes, you can.

KVRAF
22308 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from not here

Post Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:14 am

we're all sticking with Rhodes discussion, isn't it

SonicCouture's Broken Wurli has a sound...

Rhodes may differ dramatically from unit to unit in terms of character. Some have all kind of 'bark', some are pretty vanilla/clean, the thing Scarbee did with the recent 88s I would call 'lush' or 'posh'.

KVRAF
22308 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from not here

Post Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:17 am

The Neo Soul is the one I know with that 'bark', very attractive but I haven't had it high in the hierarchy of needs, let's say.

I have the AcousticSamples Hammond product, I would bet their EP are equally excellent.

KVRAF
6330 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Post Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:23 am

jancivil wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:14 am
Rhodes may differ dramatically from unit to unit in terms of character. Some have all kind of 'bark', some are pretty vanilla/clean, the thing Scarbee did with the recent 88s I would call 'lush' or 'posh'.
Much like an electric guitar, this mostly has to do with how they're set up.
However, the pickups are far more consistent and don't necessarily "age" as noted in so many guitar designs.

I became fairly proficient with my Rhodes and often changed the sound to meet the sound of the band I was playing with at the time. Generally, it was simply setting the relative distance of pickup to tine. Some bands even expressed a different tuning standard to fit in and whether its fundamental to tune from was A/C/E.
I always carried a small box with mine containing a tine chart, cutter, tines, springs, nail polish and those three tuning forks. Software allows me to have all of those without the kit, weight, and work to do it. Unfortunately, samples give me a range of perfection often coupled with a complete lack of reality in range of either pitch or velocity. Almost as often, these "imperfections" are places where the developer simply decided the majority of end users wouldn't find them anyway.

The thing where I give AAS an edge over the rest is that "bark" where it's not just the sound, but the feel of what I could almost swear I feel those rubber hammers. However, since version 6 of Pianoteq, that gap has become very subtle.

KVRian
1276 posts since 13 May, 2004 from Germany

Post Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:32 am

For me it's all UVI. This engine simply has the best playability for acoustic and electric keys for me and they have great sounding libraries as well. I have the keysuite electric and from acousticsamples the vtines and the mark 79. I like and use them all.

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:39 am

UVI: I got the Grand Piano Model D which is great. Indeed I like it very much. Natural convolution reverb included.

Regarding Arturia: Stage 73 V2 is really so much better than V1. Doesn't compare at all. Feels just like another instrument! In my personal opinion on par with LL depending on specific settings/edges. So get the decision to choose between two really fine modeled 73s depending on which sits better in the particular mix...

Now the negative: Arturia Summer Sale 50% off started, but they don't show any discounts on update prices - maybe a separate sale? Or will they add further offers during sales period usually - anyone knows about arturia's update policy?

Thanks again!

KVRian
1048 posts since 26 Apr, 2019 from Netherlands

Post Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:43 am

spike_z wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:39 am
UVI: I got the Grand Piano Model D which is great. Indeed I like it very much. Natural convolution reverb included.

Regarding Arturia: Stage 73 V2 is really so much better than V1. Doesn't compare at all. Feels just like another instrument! In my personal opinion on par with LL depending on specific settings/edges. So get the decision to choose between two really fine modeled 73s depending on which sits better in the particular mix...

Now the negative: Arturia Summer Sale 50% off started, but they don't show any discounts on update prices - maybe a separate sale? Or will they add further offers during sales period usually - anyone knows about arturia's update policy?

Thanks again!
! It says 29, but the upgrade price will become half when you add it to your cart.

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:28 am

So grateful for your super fast and helpful response! Now already enjoying it (without the 20 minute breaks;))...

Return to “Instruments”