Commander Tom - Are Am eye ? Middle synth (Hooveresque)

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This classic tune has a lush part with what, to me , sounds like a hooveresque sound. It kicks in at 4minutes 14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh6wrLwRUt8

My question is, because my own attempts at hoovers aren't great, whats the best way to recreate something along these lines ? I could just sample it, but i'd rather understand this sound.

I tried in Serum, using the 2 saws detuned , one above an octave and the underlying triangle, ala Owen Palmers tutorial on YT, but nope, doesn't sound decent to me.

So I have a few synths at my disposal, but i'd love some insight to what this is. Could be from the Alpha Juno without the pitch modulation ? Pulse wave with PWM ?

But for the old school techno heads, we can all just sit back and enjoy the track too.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Great track, I have it on vinyl....

recently saw an artical about the first use of the "hoover" sound was sampled from the synth, and how everyone sampled that (from the record) as opposed to using a synth....

I'll try and find it

Love this Track !

AnX wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:01 pm Great track, I have it on vinyl....

recently saw an artical about the first use of the "hoover" sound was sampled from the synth, and how everyone sampled that (from the record) as opposed to using a synth....

I'll try and find it
Thats a classic piece of vinyl tbh, the track is just pure bliss to listen to .

So they sampled the "What The" patch ? and then people just took the samples from that, tbh that wouldn't surprise me. I'd still love to know how to recreate it or something similar using VST's. I am pretty sure DUNE would be a beast for this. I know Sylenth had a pretty good dominator patch IIRC but I can't find it.

The dedicated synths for hoovers (REdominator etc) just dont actually do it that well.

If I can find a really good sample from the alpha juno id just use that and resample it.

I think I've done it in Dune3 as an experiment, I'll look after work tonight

there are a few YT tutorials for other synths that would translate if you can't wait

AnX wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:12 am I think I've done it in Dune3 as an experiment, I'll look after work tonight

there are a few YT tutorials for other synths that would translate if you can't wait
I'm in no rush, would be cool to see how you got it going in Dune 3.

I tried it in Serum, following Owen Palmers tutorial, it sounds OK ish, but not as thick as i'd like it and that used Serum.

tbh I'd prefer to get a really good base patch for it in Dune tbh. Then the modulation and effects to play with are endless, and I think would be a really cool addition to the stuff i'm doing now.

So yeah, please, would love to see how you made a patch in Dune, as I just got Dune myself and keen to learn more about it.

LeVzi wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:00 am
If I can find a really good sample from the alpha juno id just use that and resample it.
https://www.bahnhof.se/wb447909/phono/m ... at_The.rar
- here's a freebie :)

i lied, i didnt make one for D3 (may have been D1 actually) it was Obsession...but i quickly made one just now for D3

adjust everything to taste (mseg controls pitch mod, i added chorus and reverb too)

EDIT: added a quick PWM version, again, adjust to suit
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andymcbain wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:18 pm
LeVzi wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:00 am
https://www.bahnhof.se/wb447909/phono/m ... at_The.rar
- here's a freebie :)
Thats cool man, thank you, nice clean sample that is :)

AnX wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:34 pm i lied, i didnt make one for D3 (may have been D1 actually) it was Obsession...but i quickly made one just now for D3

adjust everything to taste (mseg controls pitch mod, i added chorus and reverb too)

EDIT: added a quick PWM version, again, adjust to suit
Thank you, they are pretty decent. The saw PWM Wavetable might work in DUNE too, I'll give a that a go as well, see how it turns out.

tbh, I'm surprised there none in the factory banks, but again, maybe I'm confusing v1 with 2/3

AnX wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:26 am tbh, I'm surprised there none in the factory banks, but again, maybe I'm confusing v1 with 2/3
Hoovers are fun to play with tbh. Don't get the use they used to obviously.

I had a go too, really love Dune for programming, forgotten how much fun this synth is. I had Dune 1 , and sold it years ago, regret that now, but thankfully V3 is so much better too.
What The FK LeVzi.rar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Sound Design”