Arturia V Collection, just how many are actually decent ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In terms of genre specific sounds.

I currently are in the EDM side of things, and I look at the V collection and think, yes i'd love to own it, but would they all be of use ?

I know some of them are used a lot, the Jupiter and Prophet are (Apparently) used a lot.

So is it more wise to get individual ones or the whole thing or Analog Lab ?

I've always been curious, and tbh I probably won't even bother but I need to at least get some knowledge of it all.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

for EDM?

you might be better off looking at Pigments.

the nice thing about V collection is that it's a big bundle of synths. the big problem with V collection is that it's a lot of synths you then have to learn.

if you've got a decent virtual analog you can probably need not bother with the ones in V collection. that leaves the quirkier options like the Buchla maybe and the digital things like the Synclavier and Fairlight. but to get the most out of them, you need to dig into them, which takes time that might be better spent doing more with what you got.

If you use presets a lot though Analog Lab is a pretty good deal, especially if it's on sale. or wait until they do a deep discount just ahead of a new collection rolling out and accept you're only going to use a few of them regularly.

I guess V stands for "vintage" (it conforms with "LEGENDARY KEYBOARDS REINVENTED"), so it's not really the EDM route.
Neither is Pigments an EDM instrument. Not saying it's bad - on the contrary, it's more about making complex modulations and stuff than about unison supersaws, so it's like "IDM" synth.
I think EDM relies on modern (say Virus?) synth + vintage synth sound, so you'd need an "EDM-traditional" synth to complement V Collection, such as Viper/Serum/Spire/Massive/Sylenth1/Dune/ANA
Or Icarus 2 instead of Serum, it's really good

I'm not an EDM guy, just my perception of the landscape
Weapons of choice (subject to change):
Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Audiority, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, TAL, Reaper for Rock & Synthwave pleasures; Viper and FL Studio for guilty EDM pleasures

Thing is I know they got a lot of use in the Happy Hardcore scene as it evolved into the UK Hardcore scene, the likes of Scott Brown was using it.

But those days are gone, I am wondering how they stand up in the likes of the EDM scene and such like, and if, as you guys said, the more modern synths, like Serum, Sylenth, Dune, Diversion etc etc etc are actually a better choice.

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I use 3 or 4 of the 27....it's cool for people who want the look and basic sound of old synths and I have certainly enjoyed looking at and playing with a lot of the stuff when launched, but never found any use for most of it musically....synths like Rapid, Phase Plant and even Hive just do most of what I need and are more flexible and let you access just about anything without changing or even selecting synths.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I make EDM and have bought the V collection 7 on the last sale for 250$. I have not downloaded all of the instruments jet because I want to spend enough time with each. If i would reccomend it depends on what synths you already have and your synthesis knowledge. Most of the presets are not really suited for EDM
So far I have downloaded Dx7v, MiniV, SynthclavierV, SEM V, Buchla Easel V and demoed the CZV
The Dx7V is really usefull if you know FM Synthesis. It also has a Filter on every operator so it could theoretically be used as a subtractive synth as well. This is my favorite so far really easy to use and really capable as well.
The other synths all have some shortcomings feature wise however most of them have some capabilities not found in many other synths or are an interesting experience to use.
The buchla easel V for example is really fun to play with but not really usable. It only has one envelope and that one doesn't even sound good. On top of that you have sacrifice the mod osc which is the only selling point of that synth in order to use it as an lfo. So the semimodular architecure is more of a handycap for it rather than an enhancement.
The synthclavier V has a mixture of additive and fm synthesis. But besides rethynthesis does none of these well. It has neither the operator routing of fm synths nor the morphing features you would expect in an additive synth. You basically can only morph between different states of the partials across multiple frames.
Also the synths that have a unison feature doesn't have a control for the spread of the voices or a shape control for the spread distribution.
Some synths can be used for certain things in EDM. The synthclvier could make some dubstep growls, the CZV could be really nice for reeze basses and the DX7V is a really nice FM synth.
So basically if you don't have a capable bread and butter synth like serum, spire or ANA2 i would get one of those instead. If you already have a workhorse synth the v collection could be a nice addition. The synths are really fun to play with and to sharpen your sounddesign skills but i guess besides the DX7V most of them won't make it into a lot of tracks of mine in the future.

Thanks all, that pretty much answers my questions, its not really going to fit with what I do now, I have pretty much everything covered.

Thanks again.

How you guys feel it stand up against uvi vintage vault 3?

UVI is sampled, Arturia is modeled… Arturia all the sounds, UVI only those which have been sampled… UVI lots of GB disc space Arturia little…
A sampled UVI preset might be closer to the original than Arturia though…
In the end if you create your own sounds then Arturia or another modeled VST, if you only play presets anyway, UVI could be an alternative… Same with IKs Syntronic (sampled) btw…
In general sample packs are just a snapshot…

MC-909 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:39 am How you guys feel it stand up against uvi vintage vault 3?
Arturia Collection is very nice but when I browse presets there are many sounds that are not very musical. Like some abstract noise or maybe scary sounds which I don't want to listen at night. But of course you can make your own.
Uvi Vintage Fault has great bread and butter sounds which you can use to make a song. And beautiful pads and arpeggios which make you feel like you in paradise. Many sounds named something like ominious digital or ominious something. But not that much scary or stupid noise soundscapes that Arturia has.
But I like both!

It's mostly the digital and sample based instruments that I've become interested in the V collection. And the solina and organs, but they are sort of one trick ponies which do have good sampled based alternatives. I just think the analog emus have much better alternatives. The Synthi and Buchla seem cool though.

Oopi wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:26 pm
MC-909 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:39 am How you guys feel it stand up against uvi vintage vault 3?
Arturia Collection is very nice but when I browse presets there are many sounds that are not very musical. Like some abstract noise or maybe scary sounds which I don't want to listen at night. But of course you can make your own.
Uvi Vintage Fault has great bread and butter sounds which you can use to make a song. And beautiful pads and arpeggios which make you feel like you in paradise. Many sounds named something like ominious digital or ominious something. But not that much scary or stupid noise soundscapes that Arturia has.
But I like both!
Either you are confusing products or you have a very different set of V collection/Analog Lab presets to me. Are you sure you haven't got it stuck on the Carpenter Tribute horror preset pack?

Anyone on the fence about this just go to soundbetter.com and you can get a free copy of Analog Lab intro which comes with nearly 1000 V collection presets and you can make your own mind up about the quality of these presets and see if they are all non-musical, abstract and scary as somewhat bizarrely claimed above.

Return to “Instruments”