Suggestions for widening 808s?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys lately i've been looking for ways to widen my 808s, i was trying to use izotope imager but i felt like it was pretty lifeless and there wasn't that much movement, should i be using a chorus or a doubler or something?

umm the rhythms out of 808 or some specific drum from 808?
There are various techniques, like splitting the signal into two and using some stereo effect on the higher part of spectrum, or combine stereofx with some heavier saturation, or even use another drum for the mid-treble part, eq them together..
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

I’m not that experienced yet, so hope this helps: In Ableton I use an effect rack with 2 chains. On Both I use a delay, but on is set to 100% right and the other one to 100% left. This widens my hats, but also can be used on other sounds too. I beleave it’s a HaaS like effect, but I’m not sure.
At the beginning of something beautiful...

Layering.

Dust_NL wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:23 pm I’m not that experienced yet, so hope this helps: In Ableton I use an effect rack with 2 chains. On Both I use a delay, but on is set to 100% right and the other one to 100% left. This widens my hats, but also can be used on other sounds too. I beleave it’s a HaaS like effect, but I’m not sure.
this was super helpful thanks man!

legendCNCD wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:04 pm umm the rhythms out of 808 or some specific drum from 808?
It's hip-hop/trap/bass music speak for an 808 kick drum sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrylawhe-Qs

@ghettosynth ok - for me if someone says 808 it means the drum machine as a whole :D
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro

Yeah kids these days...
I have a feeling that OP is referring to the style of bass line sound that is inspired by the 808 kick but isn't necessarily a sample.

dalisaur wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:59 am this was super helpful thanks man!
Glad I could help. You have to fiddle a little with the parameters to get it to sound the way you want. But this does the trick for me in certain situations.
At the beginning of something beautiful...

Melda Production's MUtility is a free plugin that I sometimes use to widen the stereo field of my 808s, 909s etc. Great for claps. Just insert MUtility on the audio channel, then select which audio channel MUtility is to affect by selecting either "Left" or "Right" from it's right hand side panel. Then you can tweak the delay settings on the main panel to widen the stereo field.
Windows 10. Asus X99-Pro i7 6950X 10 Core 3GHz (Overclocked to 3.5GHz). Corsair DDR4 64GB Vengeance LPX 2400MHz. RME RayDAT. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970. UAD2 Quad+Octo. Reaper. A couple of plugins.

Do you check if the widening is ok in mono?

I find the kilohearts distortion with it's stereo bias control is great for creating mono-compatible stereo spread.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

Edit
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

legendCNCD wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:11 pm Do you check if the widening is ok in mono?
I usually check. Usually no issue.
Windows 10. Asus X99-Pro i7 6950X 10 Core 3GHz (Overclocked to 3.5GHz). Corsair DDR4 64GB Vengeance LPX 2400MHz. RME RayDAT. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970. UAD2 Quad+Octo. Reaper. A couple of plugins.

Dust_NL wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:23 pm I’m not that experienced yet, so hope this helps: In Ableton I use an effect rack with 2 chains. On Both I use a delay, but on is set to 100% right and the other one to 100% left. This widens my hats, but also can be used on other sounds too. I beleave it’s a HaaS like effect, but I’m not sure.
One thing to note with this technique is to check mono compatibility. If you dial it in wrong it will sound like ass. I also wouldn't recommend doing it on sub frequencies (which the 808 kick is).

The way I'd do it is saturate the sub (808 whatever), split it into 2 channels with crossover at around 200-ish Hz. Then apply widening effects to the upper signal, sum it back into 1 channel and compress.

Return to “Production Techniques”