Introducing EXC!TE SNARE DRUM a physical modeling snare synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
EXC!TE SNARE DRUM EXC!TE SNARE DRUM PRO

CHAIR wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:37 pm
fairlyclose wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:40 pm love the look and sound of the pro version in the video - any plans for other physical models?
Thank you! We do have another waveguide model, it makes sounds like everything between a sheet of metal to a ride cymbal. If the feedback from this snare is good, we will put this into a VST.
Great, pricewise I would add it into the snare rather than make another. Or do a bundle, as you are competing, for me at least, with something like Substantia which also sidechains https://vimeo.com/408904548 but you have some advantages with simplicity in the interface and being a VST.

The email registration is out—you can download the free version now with two clicks.

fairlyclose wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:44 pm Great, pricewise I would add it into the snare rather than make another. Or do a bundle, as you are competing, for me at least, with something like Substantia which also sidechains but you have some advantages with simplicity in the interface and being a VST.
Oh, wow. I knew gleechlab, but wasn't aware of Substantia. It's at a very reasonable price point too. Thanks for pointing it out. I think we would go for a bundle and keep them separate small plugins, but that's a bit early to say at this moment.

CHAIR wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:04 pm
fairlyclose wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:44 pm Great, pricewise I would add it into the snare rather than make another. Or do a bundle, as you are competing, for me at least, with something like Substantia which also sidechains but you have some advantages with simplicity in the interface and being a VST.
Oh, wow. I knew gleechlab, but wasn't aware of Substantia. It's at a very reasonable price point too. Thanks for pointing it out. I think we would go for a bundle and keep them separate small plugins, but that's a bit early to say at this moment.
Great, i hope you do make more and fir sure advantages in small tightly focussed instruments. I think there is a need for a wide range of playable models. Substantia is not as broad as it first looks, though a great prgram at a good price, so there is plenty of room for more products to expand the space

CHAIR wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:33 pm
MutantHero wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:17 pm Sorry man, I wasn't complaining. I just wanna bang on the drum all day. This thing look "playable"!
No problem, this is Windows, right? Which Windows version? What's your plugin host? Maybe we can compile it differently.
Thank you sir. Studio One v3 x86 on WIN 10 (x64)

So far I can run X86 VST2 or VST3, and have the ability to take an x64 VST2 down to an x86 VST2 in JBridger (works 90% of the time).

MutantHero wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:29 am Thank you sir. Studio One v3 x86 on WIN 10 (x64)

So far I can run X86 VST2 or VST3, and have the ability to take an x64 VST2 down to an x86 VST2 in JBridger (works 90% of the time).
Just checking: If you run the plugin in a 64bit host, like Reaper or the equally free https://shop.presonus.com/Studio-One-5-Prime the plugin will load, right?

Teksonik wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:23 pm Anyway my first impressions are the snares don't sound good and there seems to be a second hit triggered with note off or key up when triggering from a midi keyboard.
Thanks for trying it out anyway! Could you tell us your OS and version as well as the Plugin host/DAW and version and the make and model of the MIDI Keyboard please?

CHAIR wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:41 pm
MutantHero wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:29 am Thank you sir. Studio One v3 x86 on WIN 10 (x64)

Just checking: If you run the plugin in a 64bit host, like Reaper or the equally free https://shop.presonus.com/Studio-One-5-Prime the plugin will load, right?
That's a factual statement.

CHAIR wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:44 pm
Teksonik wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:23 pm Anyway my first impressions are the snares don't sound good and there seems to be a second hit triggered with note off or key up when triggering from a midi keyboard.
Thanks for trying it out anyway! Could you tell us your OS and version as well as the Plugin host/DAW and version and the make and model of the MIDI Keyboard please?
Win 10 Pro 20H2 64 bit. FL Studio 20.8 and Reaper 6. M Audio Oxygen 8. I only tried it on this system and did not install it on my studio computer so I can't rule out a system specific issue. No one else has reported the double hit issue so it very well could be something here although no other plugin has ever exhibited the same behavior. I've uninstalled the plugin but I might reinstall to see if I can reproduce the issue again.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

May I ask: What's the consensus about the KVR marketplace? Should we use that?

Doesn't seem to respond to velocity at any point in the Velocity knob's range, thereby negating the whole point of physical modeling... thanks but no thanks.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

Jafo wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:32 pm Doesn't seem to respond to velocity at any point in the Velocity knob's range, thereby negating the whole point of physical modeling... thanks but no thanks.
Thanks for trying! When using MIDI input into the exciter, every MIDI note already has a velocity attached, that's why there is no knob on the velocity fader in the GUI. However, you can modify the variation of the velocity (represented by the wiggly line). So that a beat with constant MIDI velocity values sound more natural. The parameter VelocityVariance is a adding a bell shaped random distribution centered around the MIDI velocity.
Have fun!

CHAIR wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:17 pm May I ask: What's the consensus about the KVR marketplace? Should we use that?
i don't think it's used very much as most plugin developers have their own stores, and there are multiple popular marketplaces (JRR Shop, Audio Deluxe, etc.) that have discounts etc. that KVR marketplace doesn't offer.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

As a fan of all things physically modelled, this is delicious! Another guaranteed funding member here!
Can't wait for your cymbal thing :) And, I'm guessing, kicks and toms, in the near future! hooray!

any chance of an AU? (Logic user here)

CinningBao wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:35 am As a fan of all things physically modelled, this is delicious! Another guaranteed funding member here!
Can't wait for your cymbal thing :) And, I'm guessing, kicks and toms, in the near future! hooray!

any chance of an AU? (Logic user here)
Thank you so much for your support!
We think with kicks and tom sounds a sample base approach is yielding sufficiently good results, as the modes of interaction are more limited. In the case of a kick, because of the mechanics of the beater, the only real variable is the velocity, even when adding damping by leaving the beater pressed against the drumhead. With snare and cymbals though, you can interact in so many ways, hitting, putting objects on it, using brushes, mallets, rods, etc. So what I'm saying is that the gain from a physical modelling approach compared to traditional sample based approaches is more significant the more ways of interaction you have with an instrument. There is not much point in investing a lot of time to develop physical model for say, a harpsichord. A tabla drum on the other hand would make a lot of sense.

For .AU - in theory this should be easy, but we haven't looked at the details. We are working directly with Steinbergs VST3SDK and it offers an .AU wrapper method, so it looks like we can make this happen, but no promises just yet before we dig deeper in it.

Return to “Instruments”