set software synthesizer oscillators to hertz?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In patching environments like Max/MSP, Bitwigs Grid its easy, but the most straight VST is Sonic Labs Fundamental…

killmaster wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:43 pm I have a lot (a lot) of synthesizers and I don't see one that I can actually dial the frequency to hertz? Do you all know of any (cause I probably have it :) ).
Most FM synths : Operator, FM8, DX7 V, Dexed...

Reaktor Blocks also.

But if I'm not wrong, in all those synths you lose keytracking as soon as you switch to hertz display (fixed ratio). I don't know if it's what you're after.
Soundcloud - Synthwave & More https://soundcloud.com/canapelee

u-He Bazille has 4 oscillators that can be set to semitone, overtone, undertone, hertz, and clocked. It's great for drones since it's semi-modular and you can use a lot of modulation to create evolving textures. However, the value goes from 0 to 24 hertz, but you can multiply it with another knob up to 50 to get to 2400 Hz as the fundamental.

I will also recommend Phase Plant. Set Harmonic to 0.00 then use Shift for anywhere from 0 to 5000 Hz. It does everything from VA to wavetable to samples with loads of (phase, frequency, amplitude, and more) modulation so drone textures are very easy. If you want keytracking then leave Harmonic at its default.

yellowmix wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:03 am u-He Bazille has 4 oscillators that can be set to semitone, overtone, undertone, hertz, and clocked. It's great for drones since it's semi-modular and you can use a lot of modulation to create evolving textures. However, the value goes from 0 to 24 hertz, but you can multiply it with another knob up to 50 to get to 2400 Hz as the fundamental.

I will also recommend Phase Plant. Set Harmonic to 0.00 then use Shift for anywhere from 0 to 5000 Hz. It does everything from VA to wavetable to samples with loads of (phase, frequency, amplitude, and more) modulation so drone textures are very easy. If you want keytracking then leave Harmonic at its default.
Great suggestions. I have Bazille so will look into it. Thanks!

EdSfer wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:51 pm
killmaster wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:43 pm I have a lot (a lot) of synthesizers and I don't see one that I can actually dial the frequency to hertz? Do you all know of any (cause I probably have it :) ).

Reaktor Blocks also.

But if I'm not wrong, in all those synths you lose keytracking as soon as you switch to hertz display (fixed ratio). I don't know if it's what you're after.
Hmmm, interesting. Thanks. I do have FM8. Will try this and see. Maybe I can just set the hertz and just make another instance of it with a different hertz setting.

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:39 pm In patching environments like Max/MSP, Bitwigs Grid its easy, but the most straight VST is Sonic Labs Fundamental…
Great! Have been wanting a reason/excuse to get Fundamental, so maybe that would be the perfect tool this this purpose! Thank you.

Reaktor Blocks also.

I've tried them all including ID700 on IOS and FM8 is the easiest to control for what I'm after. Thanks a lot for the recommendation! I never would have thought of it. With the various operators, I can combine up to 8 different hertz frequencies and it doesn't lose keytracking (relative)!

you can set each oscillator to hertz in uhe Bazille i believe
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

killmaster wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:45 pm

Reaktor Blocks also.

I've tried them all including ID700 on IOS and FM8 is the easiest to control for what I'm after. Thanks a lot for the recommendation! I never would have thought of it. With the various operators, I can combine up to 8 different hertz frequencies and it doesn't lose keytracking (relative)!
Nice! Wasn't sure about the keytracking. Happy that it fits your needs :tu:
Soundcloud - Synthwave & More https://soundcloud.com/canapelee

EdSfer wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:59 pm
killmaster wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:45 pm

Reaktor Blocks also.

Nice! Wasn't sure about the keytracking. Happy that it fits your needs :tu:
Thanks! You were actually correct. I can set ratio to non zero and it will track but not in the regular way, but it will track which sounds kinda interesting in its own rite. Like a kind of microtuning. But i can use 6 separate operators and set them to hertz mode to layer the waveforms.

Return to “Instruments”