Riven (ElectroProg - Seismic Destruction)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This one took 2 or 3 weeks to put together last month during periods when I had an hour or so to spare, and the shape of the piece kept changing as my shed restoration project approached completion :)

It's a jaunty little number inspired by ill-judged and alcohol-fuelled conjecture regarding relationships between time and space, their interdependence, and what might happen if somebody threw a spanner in the works.

In line with this new-found enlightenment, I made some "interesting" mix decisions.

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/riven

recorded/mixed and pre-mastered in EnergyXT2.7 - Mastered in T-Racks 5

Pfitzinger field recorder
Audacity
Z3ta+2
Dune
RedTron_SE
Microtonic
BlueCat Gain3 Mono
Fracture
BlueCat Gain3 Stereo
Replicant2
2C B2
EQuivocate
EnergyXT reverb
Satin
Linear Phase EQ
Opto compressor
Vintage Equalizer
Brickwall Limiter

DR-10

EDIT: 20231109 I have remixed the track in EnergyXT2.7, but the only changes I made were to the EQ settings. In the new T-Racks5 master I made some changes to the original parameters. This is ready for an album release in 2024.

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/rive ... ks5-master

Recorded and mixed in EnergyXT 2.7
Mastered in T-Racks 5

Pfitzinger field recorder
Audacity
Z3ta+2
Dune
RedTron_SE
Microtonic
BlueCat Gain3 Mono
Fracture
BlueCat Gain3 Stereo
Replicant2
2C B2
EQuivocate
EnergyXT reverb
Satin
Linear Phase EQ
Opto compressor
Vintage Equalizer
Brickwall Limiter

DR - 11
Last edited by seismic1 on Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

All I can say is, THAT was cool. Very well done all the way around.

Enjoyable synth music. I liked the variable riffs and pleasant soundscape. Good mix and sounds. Thumbs up!

wagtunes wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:10 am All I can say is, THAT was cool. Very well done all the way around.
Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment. Glad you liked it :)

This is a rather austere and disconcerting soundscape. For me, it conjures up a cold, alien world. It is not presenting obvious melodic hooks or something that I can easily latch onto emotionally.

The choirs are, as usual, expertly done.

The electronic percussion is very upfront and loud. Creating more of rhythmic assault than a listener friendly groove.

The ticking watch emerges at various points, sometimes glitched, keeping the listener off balance.

You've constructed a unique soundscape that does seem to warp time and space a bit so mission accomplished. :tu:

Yes, this is very jaunty for you, verging on popcorn.
Nice mix of varying feels, very prog! Sounds like a journey and very cinematic for a certain type of film.
Glorious ending.
Well done!
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

markkuja wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:08 pm Enjoyable synth music. I liked the variable riffs and pleasant soundscape. Good mix and sounds. Thumbs up!
Thanks very much for listening, Markku. Glad you enjoyed it :)

a thoroughly entertaining listen the whole time.
enjoyed the wonky clock sounds on top of the silky
pads. good stuff as usual. :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Nice take. I've got the impression of DJ Food on Acid - but instead of busy rhythms and beats this track surprises with the evolvement of the otherworldly. The drone and ambient sections are just deep enough to get some goosebumps. Great work!

Good work! I liked the otherworldly psychedelic atmosphere. It has a sci-fi movie soundtrack feel to it. Sometimes it is cool to have a long, slowly building up composition that gives you time to get immersed, to think and imagine things. I could only say that the glitched clock sound is too upfront and dry, it gets a bit distracting at times.

There is also some great stuff on your SoundCloud page...
"Some people don't like music created on a PC and declare it as "fake". I don't care. The only thing matters to me is the end result."
SoundCloud YouTube Patreon

Another quality track Tim. Enjoyed very much. Beautiful evolving pads and a lovely, silky bass. Picked up an Orbital vibe on this one. Fantastic work! :tu:
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

Frantz wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:10 am This is a rather austere and disconcerting soundscape. For me, it conjures up a cold, alien world. It is not presenting obvious melodic hooks or something that I can easily latch onto emotionally.

The choirs are, as usual, expertly done.

The electronic percussion is very upfront and loud. Creating more of rhythmic assault than a listener friendly groove.

The ticking watch emerges at various points, sometimes glitched, keeping the listener off balance.

You've constructed a unique soundscape that does seem to warp time and space a bit so mission accomplished. :tu:
I thought this was an excellent summary, Frantz. "austere", "disconcerting" "cold", "alien", "assault", "off balance", "warp". I should probably add some of those descriptors as SC tags.

When I was assembling this, I wondered whether I could make the 3 main sections work together. I think I got away with it, but I shot myself in the foot by destroying any chance this had of getting onto an ambient playlist :D

Thanks very much for listening, and for the great comments :)

Listened a few times now...keep hearing little extra touches that were missed at first!

EPIC, EMPTY opening with those wide pads combined with the 'clock'.

That bass melody that enters around the 1 min mark - what a sound!!! So round and full yet controlled so that it doesn't dominate the mix too much...quite 3D as well...love the way it develops over time with a 2nd strand.

Loved the rise in rhythmic intensity in the second half - wasn't expecting that from 'Mr Ambient' but it definitely works here.

Effective, well produced cinematic piece.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

Allomerus wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:26 am Yes, this is very jaunty for you, verging on popcorn.
Nice mix of varying feels, very prog! Sounds like a journey and very cinematic for a certain type of film.
Glorious ending.
Well done!
:)
"jaunty" - a great word that seems to be falling into disuse in modern English. It's good to see other people are comfortable with it :)

"popcorn" - Hot Butter?

I had three discrete sections written, which I hoped to shape into an "integrated" whole. The last section was originally written as the second part, but it didn't sit right with me. As soon as I shifted it to the end, everything made a lot more sense.

Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment, John. Glad you liked it :)

layzer wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:23 am a thoroughly entertaining listen the whole time.
enjoyed the wonky clock sounds on top of the silky
pads. good stuff as usual. :tu:
Thanks very much for listening and commenting layzer. Glad you enjoyed it :)

Interestingly, the watch was already wonky before I put it through Fracture :lol:

In other news, the prancing piglet may be re-surfacing later this year :o

Return to “Music Cafe”