Arm AudioUnit not recognised (VST is fine)

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Have now compiled a Universal Binary standalone and VST (VST confirmed working in Reaper-Arm).
The AU also builds fine and the lipo command line tool verifies it has both architectures. But... neither Logic nor Reaper-Arm load the Arm version, they just bridge to the Intel one.

Any one have any idea whats going on here? As in, are there some additional steps im unaware of (different entry point or something) for Arm AU?
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

In case anyone else runs into a similar issues with this...

The main problem was that apparently AUs using the old AU1 method (entry point published via the .r rez file) just don't work on Arm, presumably that has been dropped at OS level as its affects Reaper ARM as well as Logic. Updating to the new method (entry point in plist) solves that.

In addition another weird issue cost me several hours trying to figure WTF was going on. Specifically, the XCode Copy phase (which I was using for testing to the components folder) was stripping the codesignature *only* on the Arm part of the Universal Binary (eventually tracked down that issue with the codesign tool). Checking 'Sign on Copy' fixes that
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

Rez files are from Carbon days and should've been dropped ages ago. I'm not surprised anything Carbon and possibly anything OpenGL is gone from OS 11.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

syntonica wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:33 pm Rez files are from Carbon days and should've been dropped ages ago. I'm not surprised anything Carbon and possibly anything OpenGL is gone from OS 11.
OpenGL still works fine on macOS 11, even though it's "deprecated" and stuck on 4.1 which means it's missing many modern things... but other than that I believe it's supposed to work on M1 too (although I don't have one so can't test).

mystran wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:49 am
syntonica wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:33 pm Rez files are from Carbon days and should've been dropped ages ago. I'm not surprised anything Carbon and possibly anything OpenGL is gone from OS 11.
OpenGL still works fine on macOS 11, even though it's "deprecated" and stuck on 4.1 which means it's missing many modern things... but other than that I believe it's supposed to work on M1 too (although I don't have one so can't test).
Hazarding a huge guess here, but maybe it's there just to support Rosetta and when Rosetta gets removed in the next OS or two (as did the original with Lion, iirc), any OpenGL support will go with it, since Apple is writing the drivers to support their video chips.

I dread the day they might drop ObjC/ObjC++ and I have to shoehorn Swift in there, although for now, it looks like Swift just sits on top.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

For now at least, OpenGL works on M1, Rosetta and natively
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

syntonica wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:00 am I dread the day they might drop ObjC/ObjC++ and I have to shoehorn Swift in there, although for now, it looks like Swift just sits on top.
I dread the day they invent another pointless language, and replace the existing pointless languages with that.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

newsonicarts wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:24 am
syntonica wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:00 am I dread the day they might drop ObjC/ObjC++ and I have to shoehorn Swift in there, although for now, it looks like Swift just sits on top.
I dread the day they invent another pointless language, and replace the existing pointless languages with that.
:lol:

My biggest wish is that they'd let me stick a method in my struct in C. Then it would be the only language I'd ever need or use.

syntonica wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:39 am My biggest wish is that they'd let me stick a method in my struct in C. Then it would be the only language I'd ever need or use.
Last I checked you can do that in C++ (and also Objective-C++).

mystran wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:07 pm
syntonica wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:39 am My biggest wish is that they'd let me stick a method in my struct in C. Then it would be the only language I'd ever need or use.
Last I checked you can do that in C++ (and also Objective-C++).
I can and I do, but all that other junk just has to go! :D Allowing for a very simple class that way eliminates the huge number of ugly and obfuscating syntactic contortions needed to handle objects in C. Despite objections, objects do solve some-but-not-all thorny programming issues and are a very useful tool to have in my toolbox.

My big problem with C++ And all its libraries is that they're written by somebody else, are horribly over-engineered and rarely work in a logical way (for my brain.) I like to roll my own libraries that can be easily and quickly modified to purpose for each project. And since there's a basic C ABI to do the necessary ObjC functions, ObjC++ isn't necessary, which is pretty much a deal with the devil anyway.

Anyway, enough said on the wrong thread on this topic. Sorry, OP! :oops:

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”