Massive 2.10 update to AKAI MPC Line hardware and software

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

antic604 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:00 am
kcearl wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:59 amWell the Force beta (which Im not part of in case youre reading akai) has disk streaming…the last beta I saw, which was one of the first, this was mainly for recorded audio though you could direct large loops to be streamed from disk as well…that may have changed since then but even as it was it worked well.

Theyd also seemed to have streamlined the keygroups and they used up far less ram, not sure if it was utilizing some of the disk streaming too

Id imagine this will all be coming to the MPCs at sone point once they’ve ironed out the wrinkles
Thanks! :tu:

Nothing about the linear arranger for MPC? Or an actual FM synth? As much as I'm happy about new plugins, I don't really have much use for flutes & violins, whereas a good FM "fart" and "screech" is what my music thrives on ;) :D
When Dan from Akai frequented forums he did say the OS between the Force and MPC range would be the same in v3. I think thats when youll see the linear arranger. Tbh I like the MPC song mode too, both have their pris and cons.

If Air etc dont have an FM synth its unlikely the range will, these are all ports from Airs range. Id like xpand! ported, could be useful.

kcearl wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:52 amIf Air etc dont have an FM synth its unlikely the range will, these are all ports from Airs range. Id like xpand! ported, could be useful.
Over a year ago, after the NAMM2020 there were leaked screens from new firmware and amongst Solina, Mellotron and Hype there was FMX or something like that. So I hope they're still working on it. Not a deal breaker if it doesn't happen, but I'd love one to broaden the palette. Not to mention even a cut down version of loom, because additive synthesis can also sound great.

On the other hand, with the CPU they've in there I'm not holding my breath :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:00 pm
kcearl wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:52 amIf Air etc dont have an FM synth its unlikely the range will, these are all ports from Airs range. Id like xpand! ported, could be useful.
Over a year ago, after the NAMM2020 there were leaked screens from new firmware and amongst Solina, Mellotron and Hype there was FMX or something like that. So I hope they're still working on it. Not a deal breaker if it doesn't happen, but I'd love one to broaden the palette. Not to mention even a cut down version of loom, because additive synthesis can also sound great.

On the other hand, with the CPU they've in there I'm not holding my breath :)

Well FM would be welcome and surely not that CPU intensive if the M+ can run FM8...The Oddy isnt an Air instrument so theres hope :)

kcearl wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:31 pm Been using it for a while...my favourite part is the audio interface support...Ive been using a Yamaha THD 30...gives me speakers and input with my MPC. The new instruments are all very usable...had Hype in the Force, great to have it in the MPC.

And theres more to come ;)
Oh hey this this where you went to. LOL.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

This update is amazing. The sampler updates alone are worth it imo. Then you add all the other stuff. Akai takes their time but they at least do it right.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

apoclypse wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:03 pm
kcearl wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:31 pm Been using it for a while...my favourite part is the audio interface support...Ive been using a Yamaha THD 30...gives me speakers and input with my MPC. The new instruments are all very usable...had Hype in the Force, great to have it in the MPC.

And theres more to come ;)
Oh hey this this where you went to. LOL.
This and others ;)

Great update though!

kcearl wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:52 am If Air etc dont have an FM synth its unlikely the range will, these are all ports from Airs range.
antic604 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:00 pm Over a year ago, after the NAMM2020 there were leaked screens from new firmware and amongst Solina, Mellotron and Hype there was FMX or something like that. So I hope they're still working on it. Not a deal breaker if it doesn't happen, but I'd love one to broaden the palette. Not to mention even a cut down version of loom, because additive synthesis can also sound great.
It was NAMM 2020. I can't remember the YouTuber, but he took a bunch of photos from the MPC Live that was demo'ing Drum Synth at the time. The pics he took are below. Solina and Mellotron are in there, as well as Drum Synth - and as clear as day are a synth called "FMX" as well as "FMiniSynth":

image.jpg
image (1).jpg
antic604 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:00 pm On the other hand, with the CPU they've in there I'm not holding my breath :)
Current CPU can easily handle FM. It's x1000 more powerful than the CPU that powered the Yamaha DX7 back in the day! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

The drum effects are pretty damn amazing. Only issue I've found so far with them is that some of them introduce this really annoying click on certain samples.

These new Air and Akai insert effects are top notch - I can’t believe how cool they sound! Literally no standalone production device on the market even comes close to the MPC’s as of 2.10!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

I am still finding cool new stuff in this update....Other than the 'headline' stuff...

The FX steal the show for me AKAI Granulator is pretty much on par with my MI Clouds.

GUI & UIs galore and FX Racks can now be saved- there are a ton of new pre-sets for these 'racks' already in.

The Drum and Keygroup Programs improvements are really welcome but the Key detection in Sample Edit and Program Edit are gamechangers for me.

The browser has much better searching and can be sorted by lots of new things....

CV Programs now have a drum mode!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:47 pm AKAI Granulator is pretty much on par with my MI Clouds.
Wow - that's impressive! Clouds sold for like $175 USD/€149 EUR by itself, back in the day, right?
SLiC wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:47 pm CV Programs now have a drum mode!
Totally forgot about that - about to hook up my Korg Volca Drum via CV tonight! :party:

Agreed! Having a lot of fun mangling things with the Granulator effect in combination with the Vocal harmonizer and doubler thing. Especially the Harmonizer can be brutally "abused" when running signals that are NOT vocals into it. It can glitch out in all kinds of fantastic ways.. then add the Granulator after it and you suddenly can transform all kinds of audio into wonderful endless crazy ambient noise.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

zyguli wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:49 am I can see they have finally added Portamento with legato feature to the keygroup, but is it possible to play the keygroups legato without retriggering the envelopes and the samples? The overview videos don't show that.
Now I know. There is no legato mode whatsoever.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”