Dead Duck Deducktion

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I notice there hasn't really been a thread about this, which is probably why I only found out about it through this year's Dev Challenge. It's a really nice synth that treads a lot of familiar territory but still manages to have its own sound. It's probably not that popular because it comes with no presets at all but I actually found that quite engaging - instead of going through endless banks of sounds, I spent an hour or two actually creating a few of my own and enjoying the process much more than usual.

It's a 2 osc V/A with 2 multi-mode filters, 4 envelopes and 4 LFOs in a deceptively simple looking GUI. Seriously, it's basically a one page GUI with all that stuff and it doesn't look cramped or crowded, which is a pretty neat trick. To achieve it there are a few things hidden behind tabs but they are mostly sort of set and forget things.

The hidden OSCS section unlocks a lot more features for the oscillators, allowing you to take control of phase, to add unison voices per oscillator and to play around with the sub-osc. The PLAY tab let's you choose from several different routing options for the oscillators and filters, among other things. The one thing it lacks is cross-mod between the oscillators. But even without that, there is still plenty to explore here and it's well worth checking out.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Me too Bones.... something about this thing I really like. I too gave it more attention after Reducktion.
I am working on a bread n butter bank for Deducktion. I will post it here and on the KVR product page when done.

I have also dug into the DD channel lately and found I can actually replace Waves SSL with it. I was able to match several tones quite easily.

Reaper and the Dead Duck suite can go along way.
Last edited by Scrubbing Monkeys on Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Aah. No Mac version. too bad, looks pretty cool ngl

There was a big thread, but it's closed : viewtopic.php?f=1&t=533054&hilit=deducktion
More BPM please

Excellent synth. Easy on the eye and nicely laid out. No messing with logging in or registration.

Love the sub, its very musical. Detune makes it sound pretty analogue. I am getting some crackling but maybe that down to my hasty programming and when I have more time I will see if that can be eliminated. Making basic presets is a doddle. Yep, I really like this one. This years developer challenge has produced some superb entries, its hard to decide an order number. Thanks for pointing it out Bones :)

Actually Deducktion was from the 2018 developer's challenge. It got my vote for first place but it lost out to a guitar stomp box possibly because it was cross platform.

That brings up an interesting question. If a developer doesn't have a Mac in order to create a Mac version should they be punished in the voting for that?

Should the voting be platform specific? In other words a winner for Windows only and a winner for Cross Platform or? Too late for this DC but something to ponder in the future.

But yea Deducktion is a very nice synth and his entry for this year's DC "Reducktion" is excellent as well. A lot of competition this year so it will be interesting to see who wins. At any rate I think Dead Duck should continue synth development into the commercial realm. He certainly has the talent. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:33 pm Actually Deducktion was from the 2018 developer's challenge. It got my vote for first place but it lost out to a guitar stomp box possibly because it was cross platform.

That brings up an interesting question. If a developer doesn't have a Mac in order to create a Mac version should they be punished in the voting for that?

Should the voting be platform specific? In other words a winner for Windows only and a winner for Cross Platform or? Too late for this DC but something to ponder in the future.

But yea Deducktion is a very nice synth and his entry for this year's DC "Reducktion" is excellent as well. A lot of competition this year so it will be interesting to see who wins. At any rate I think Dead Duck should continue synth development into the commercial realm. He certainly has the talent. :tu:
Ah, right, of course, its not this years entry.

I should have known that because I already had "Reducktion" installed. That one sounds good but the interface is a bit too busy for me, I much prefer the UI of "Deducktion".

Both can be skinned and/or edited..... :)

Deducktion 072821.png
Reducktion 072821-1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

So next synth will be .. Seducktion? :P
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

I don't know but that would be a brilliant name.

:hihi:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Teksonik wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:33 pmThat brings up an interesting question. If a developer doesn't have a Mac in order to create a Mac version should they be punished in the voting for that? Should the voting be platform specific? In other words a winner for Windows only and a winner for Cross Platform or? Too late for this DC but something to ponder in the future.
That's a really good idea - separate competitions for Mac and Windows and you can only vote in one or the other, to stop people from pumping up the votes on a platform they don't use.
But yea Deducktion is a very nice synth and his entry for this year's DC "Reducktion" is excellent as well.
I like the sound of Reducktion but I didn't like using it much. The GUI, especially the layout, doesn't work for me at all. Too much of a monolithic slab of knobs. OTOH, I really like using this one. It's weird how that works but it absolutely makes a huge difference to whether or not I want to use something.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

maschine.PNG
i found out where he got the inspiration for the gui design :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I don't know what you mean, that's clearly a different shade of orange! :oops:

Yup, another one of my favourite GUIs.

Return to “Instruments”