Sonicware Intros Liven XFM, A $200 Multi-Timbral FM Groovebox

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sonicware has introduced the Liven XFM, a new multi-track FM synth & groovebox.

The Liven XFM is a battery-powered groovebox that offers 4 FM synth engines, a 4-track sequencer and effects.

It comes with over 300 presets, for leads, keyboards, strings, winds, basses, pads, chords, drums, and sound effects. And it offers 16 physical control knobs, parameter locking for each sequencer step, a looper, and SYNC IN/OUT and MIDI IN/OUT connectors to make synchronized performance with other equipment easy.

Features:

Controls:

15 physical control knobs
Optional LATCH function prevents jumps in value when knob position and parameter values do not match.
LCD dot indicates when a parameter value matches the saved value, or when the value has been changed.
One physical encoder.
Audio output

Stereo line out (stereo 3.5mm mini jack)
Headphone out (stereo 3.5mm mini jack)
Compatible with Teenage Engineering Pocket Operator2 Series SYNC OUT
Speaker
Audio in

LINE IN (stereo 3.5mm mini-jack)
‘Compatible with Teenage Engineering Pocket Operator 2 Series SYNC IN
Interfaces

MIDI IN connector (5-Pin DIN type)
MIDI OUT connector (5-Pin DIN type)
SYNC IN jack (monaural 3.5mm mini jack)
SYNC OUT jack (monaural 3.5mm mini jack)
Synth Engine

Four FM synth engines, X-LAB, XFORM, X-LFO, and LIBRARY
6-note polyphonic
Voice mode
6-note polyphonic mode
Mono mode
Legato mode with adjustable glide time
Arpeggiator modes (Up, Down, UpDown, DownUp, Up&Down, Down&Up, Up+1, Up+2, Down-1, Down-2, Random, Play Order)
Filter

Low Pass
High Pass
Band Pass
Each track has its own filter envelope.
Effects

Chorus
Flanger
Send Delay
Insert Delay
Bit Crusher
Reverb
Distortion
Low Pass
High Pass
Isolator
LFO

Each track has one LFO which can affect both pitch and filter cutoff.
Adjustable LFO Shapes.
Adjustable start time delay for each LFO.
Sound memory

512 FM sound memory slots (16 x 32 banks)
Sequencer

4 tracks
Up to 64 steps per pattern
128 patterns
Step length can be set from 1/1 to 1/32
Enter longer notes (Tie)
Track level and pan can be set independently
FX send amount can be set independently for each track
Pattern BPM / Global BPM can be set
Step copy and paste function
Track copy and paste function
Transpose function
Real-time recording
Directly enter notes for each step when sequencer is on or off
Parameter lock function
Random playback function (Playback step size can be set)
Stutter function
Note Trigger probability can be set between 25% and 100%
Pattern chain function
Metronome and pre-count function
Swing function
MIDI

Notes, control changes, clock input/output
IMPORT/EXPORT of user data
Firmware update via Sysex

https://sonicware.jp/pages/liven-xfm-preorder

$200 including a fancy hard carry case currently! £20 shipping to EU. I really don't need this, but I couldn't help myself- VST money for hardware!

4-OP XFM engine (DX7?) with 15 knobs and 30 buttons, battery powered and a built in speaker! Parameter locking, 64 note patterns with chain etc.

Not so sure about editing FM with a 2 line display…but if they have simplified it so you can only tweak stuff that sounds good it may work.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I'm tempted, but tapped out for the moment. The liven 8bit Warps is pretty cool, but not perfect. I expect this to be similar. The ELZ_1 is still a way better synth, but for $200 you can't really go wrong, much fun to be had I'm sure. I'll probably get one even if I happen to miss out on the case and first run. The case for the warps was never actually delivered anyway, so I'd still have one minus a case.

Looks interesting. Hopefully this prods Elektron to open up the synth engines on the Model:Cycles a little more.

The only disappointing thing about the liven vs the ELZ_1 is the source level de-parameterization. There's so much stuff crammed in there, a lot of control over the synth engines was lost vs the ELZ_1. No doubt there is a lot of cool synthesis going on with the Xfm, just don't expect to have in depth control over it. Still very cool, I expect.

'de-parameterization' - what a word! The sort of did this in the Elektron Digitone and it actually worked quite well, was some how more useful/musical given the limited amount of knobs/display.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

It's probably got a Raspberry Pi inside.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

So it can be done... amazing :o

I'm seriously considering the 8bit warps unit. There's nothing similar in that price range...
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

idfpower wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:58 am So it can be done... amazing :o

I'm seriously considering the 8bit warps unit. There's nothing similar in that price range...
It's a great little synth, super fun, great sounds etc. I like it a lot and mess with it constantly.
Even amidst loads of stupidly expensive modular and fixed arch gear. Though I do spend much
of that time feeding the liven into that gear or vice versa. :tu:

Sounds awesome, tnx for the info :)
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

So I just got a text saying it’s shipped from Japan via FEDEX and will be here August 2nd!

It’s been a long wait…delayed gratification! Let’s hope it gets through customs in the UK, looking forward to playing with it!

SLiC wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:53 am So I just got a text saying it’s shipped from Japan via FEDEX and will be here August 2nd!

It’s been a long wait…delayed gratification! Let’s hope it gets through customs in the UK, looking forward to playing with it!
Nice, I never actually got on board with it, though I still use the liven quite a lot as it's much fun.
I expect you'll enjoy and have fun with it, keep in mind that it's likely to be "relatively" light when
it comes to sound design features. TBH, it took me a while to get over that to where I am really
able to appreciate the liven for what it is. :tu: just sayin...

pekbro wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:47 am
SLiC wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:53 am So I just got a text saying it’s shipped from Japan via FEDEX and will be here August 2nd!

Nice, I never actually got on board with it, though I still use the liven quite a lot as it's much fun.
I expect you'll enjoy and have fun with it, keep in mind that it's likely to be "relatively" light when
it comes to sound design features. TBH, it took me a while to get over that to where I am really
able to appreciate the liven for what it is. :tu: just sayin...
for $200 / £150 (inc a hard case!) I have relatively low expectations, but the FM seems pretty deep (and the morphing quite unique) from this video...the sequencer seems quite Electron like, so who knows...I took a punt at that price, maybe a bargain, may be on ebay in a month :wink:

https://youtu.be/kiiomqpyBm0

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”