Do you program all of your sounds from scratch?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AnX wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:14 am
TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:06 am
AnX wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:50 am if you're patching hardware with a software editor, you may as well just use software

fact
Why? What if I like the particular hardware sound better than any software alternative?
such as?
anything made by Kurzweil springs to my mind.

My Polivoks?
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

Should I? Why do you think I should? Also,why should I care if you think I should on my track?
Again. My track,not yours.

I'm not defensive! You are!
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

I like to program a lot of sounds myself, but presets, when I can actually find ones that I like and don't have to spend more time turning off/tweaking stuff vs making it from scratch, also have their uses. Mostly it's all about control and understanding the workings of the patch for me vs trying to be super original.

If I made it myself, I know where everything is, how I got there, so if I need to make a change it's quicker/easier to do so. If using a preset, especially for a more complex patch, I have to spend more time end energy fumbling around working out how designer arrived at the final patch, to understand how to make the necessary change for my needs at the time. For lead sounds in particular, I like to roll my own so I can program in any expression the way I like e.g. gated vibrato via velocity (not a common/standard technique).
Always Read the Manual!

For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven: a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to make patches, and a time to pick up those hardware instruments; a time to jam, and a time to have fun, a time to dream, and a time to build up your band; a time to get ideas, a time to record and sample, a time to produce, a time to use software instruments and fabric patches, and a time to mix and master and use even more software and fabric patches. And this is how hardware, software, jam, production, patchmaking and fabric patches work together in the wonderful clusterfck Tribe of Hofund calls life.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

No boundaries. I've seen people create art with trash :)

ARNK wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:10 amDo ya?
Pretty much ... most of my hardware analogs don't have any presets.

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:26 pmMy Polivoks?
Trueno, which blurs the lines between the two. Or maybe Olga?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:06 am
TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:26 pmMy Polivoks?
Trueno, which blurs the lines between the two. Or maybe Olga?
I liked Olga back in the days but sold it. However, question was more like why would I replace hardware I own, fancy and just can record into my DAW on the fly? When I am on vacation, I’d use some sampled waveforms from Polivoks and then replace when the real thing when I get home. I do not really need another softie for vacation purposes only.

What I find harder to answer is why you'd keep hardware around once you'd discovered softsynths. I would never in a million years even contemplate using any of my hardware in production. Even the best stuff is still way too limited compared to freebie softsynths. Hardware often doesn't even sound as good as software. e.g. ARP Odyssey was only duophonic but with Korg's VSTi recreation of it, you can have 16 voices of polyphony or unison and you don't have to split the oscillators to do it. And you're not stuck having to record a part before you can move on to create another patch, you can store a million patches and recall them instantly. That means you can be working on more than one thing at a time.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Do I program all my sounds from scratch. I used to.

But now I get more done quicker by using presets or modified presets.

But obviously I make my own parts to tracks . I found I spent more time sound designing than writing anything.

And the when sound designing I'd end up running off 20 or so patches and waste an afternoon.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

BONES wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:00 am What I find harder to answer is why you'd keep hardware around once you'd discovered softsynths.
Some hardware you may just love to have around and use. My Polivoks and Altair 231 are just yummy. It is not a necessity in any way. However, otherwise your question is answered by the fact that ever since we got over our jams and into production, I have sold 2/3 of my hardware, aiming for 3/4. Sold my Prophecy last mont and got the software replacement. So such things come naturally to me depending on context.

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:57 amSome hardware you may just love to have around and use.
Maybe but nothing from last century. I cannot imagine anything worse. My hardware is all state of the art, that's what makes it worth having.

BONES wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:50 pm
TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:57 amSome hardware you may just love to have around and use.
Maybe but nothing from last century. I cannot imagine anything worse. My hardware is all state of the art, that's what makes it worth having.
But not good enough to record with, which means they are all just doorstops

Or stage props, which is why I have them.

Return to “Production Techniques”