Best fitting Synths for Trap Production?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

onepingonly
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

adl wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:52 pm
LeVzi wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:31 pm Seriously wtf is trap?
It's a specific style of HipHop / Rap.
Well known for those big sub basses, which now are used widely also in other genres. Trap music made those popular.
OK thanks.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

adl wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:52 pm
LeVzi wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:31 pm Seriously wtf is trap?
It's a specific style of HipHop / Rap.
Well known for those big sub basses, which now are used widely also in other genres. Trap music made those popular.
When I created the first version of ElectraX in 2010 I also did large parts of its sound design. My work was of course influenced by the music that I enjoyed in my freetime.
In Germany a few years before there was a musical genre called 'Freestyle' popular, which I really liked. It was similar to 'Dancefloor', but used breakbeats instead of the 4:4 beats. It contained big sub basses, many electronic sounds and vocoders. I designed ElectraX as a synth that it able to cover all these elements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbPz-bpuFps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymNFyxvIdaM

I must be old, no idea what trap is....

TurnKeyLive wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:05 pm Hi,

Looking to upgrade Ableton stock synths but I haven't explored much softsynths outside of Live really.

Which synths are well suited and lend themselves well to Trap production? Any popular choices on this scene?

Thank you everyone.
no such thing as a genre specific synth, so try any capable one

Trap is what Rap/Hip-Hop is today

Our friend Wiki says....

"Trap is a subgenre of hip hop music that originated in the Southern United States during the early 1990s. The genre gets its name from the Atlanta slang word "trap", which refers to a place in which drugs are sold illegally. Trap music uses synthesized drums and is characterized by complex hi-hat patterns, tuned kick drums with a long decay (originally from the Roland TR-808 drum machine), and lyrical content that often focuses on drug use and urban violence. It utilizes very few instruments and focuses almost exclusively on snare drums and double- or triple-timed hi-hats. This is the signature sound of trap music".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trap_music

Me, I just make Crap music......
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Trap has zero to do with the bass. It's all the hats. It's tracks based around triplet hats.

tack tack tack tack tacket tacket tack tack...

AnX wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:28 am I must be old, no idea what trap is....
Its similar to UK Grime ... :hihi:

AnX wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:28 am I must be old, no idea what trap is....
you just aint cool, like us hep cats, daddio!

that is very true, but i am stylish...

Whatever is popular with EDM and D&B producers also works with Trap. Typical synths like Vital, Serum, Massive and Pigments. Basically the most popular Wavetable synths. For making 808's have a look at FAW Sublab.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

TurnKeyLive wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:05 pm Hi,

Looking to upgrade Ableton stock synths but I haven't explored much softsynths outside of Live really.

Which synths are well suited and lend themselves well to Trap production? Any popular choices on this scene?

Thank you everyone.
Trap/drill is just 808s and beat repeat machine gun hi/hats with a one finger horn, bell, or flute phrase run through halftime or backmask to make it "wavy"...the way it would sound if you had been sippin lean all day
So its not really about synths per say, and any synth can make an "808"...that said it essentially evolved from crunk...and the pioneers of that sound mostly used the nord lead, so any emu of that would immediately work too
Last edited by bermudagold on Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

Wonder what the OP opted for. Once again...

I must admit that I feel a bit retarded when I recommend something, and then the person who asked doesn't even have the manners to respond to the answers.

Return to “Instruments”