Garageband iOS - MacOS AU-plugins import/making work on iOS - possible?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I discovered Garageband on the iPad to be fine for idea catching and short bedroom jams. But I'd like to have some AU-effects/instruments from my main DAW. As far as I know there's AU-support on Garageband iOS (don't know if only AUv3 or also v2?). So is there a way to get Mac Plugins working on iPad? Usual installation on Mac, than copy the AU specific files into the fitting iOS directory(ies) - don't know which and think it wouldn't be recognized this way.

Does somebody have any experience with this venture??

Thanks in advance for any helping thoughts, ideads...

afaik iOS is AUv3 only
afaik, unless you jailbreak you won't be able to get into any directory specifically
so afaik: short answer: no

in practical terms it's not really possible, you still need to download iOS-specific AU plugins from the App Store, and I think even jailbreaking wouldn't work in this case. UI layouts meant for computers probably wouldn't translate quite well to a touchscreen, either.

there's an ever increasing number of plugins being released on the iOS App Store though, so chances are you'll be able to find the ones you need quite easily.

funny enough: it is possible the other way round:
a iOS AUv3 *can* be used in mac os x (within a host that supports AUv3 like logic)
but the developer has to explicitly support it and hence make it available in the osx appstore
(it used to be possible to circumvent appstore with imazing, but afaik no longer)
an example would be moog model 15 or mynth

Return to “Instruments”