Poll : Would KVR benefit from a video forum?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic

Would KVR benefit from a video forum?

Yes.
55%
No.
25%
I dont give a flying fish!
20%

Total votes: 116

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Shabdahbriah wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:07 pm
pekbro wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:25 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:01 pm Ive been watching a few videos on the new CH/AV version, and its new accompanying VGA4EVA board, and Im now kicking myself for not getting a couple of the latter boards before Thonk ran out.
Cool stuff. I get my Hypno today, looking forward to a little video synthesis fun. Though it's digital, it still makes for a good source to lots of diy and other affordable video effects modules. :tu:
You are doubtless aware of this:

lzxindustries_chromagnon_01_1.jpg

https://lzxindustries.net/products/chromagnon
Yeah, there is still no eta on that unfortunately. It's also digital interestingly (not as digital tho), it seems LZX is moving that way for the most part. They also have some other stuff in the works, like
a 26 hp eurorack mountable vidiot spinoff, amongst other stuff.

Shabdahbriah wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:30 am ^^^ and yet, this thread has 3298 views and 142 posts in two weeks. Curious.
It's the same 4 or 5 people posting in the past two weeks and the number of views isn't something you can read into when you have a probing question.

In any case, I'm not against a Graphics / Film / Videography forum, I just don't think this community has enough people that will actively engage in it.. and it will act as pretty inactive place with very few people providing anything and just a few people sitting on the sidelines that know about whatever is being asked should they bother to turn up.

Here's a handful of communities dedicated to the area of video production, some of them struggle to even have people reply to their posts like those I've listed here. Most of the topics in recent years about video are those I've brought up myself and it's the same few people that post in them.

I reskin instruments and post the skins for free in the instruments section and even create films and post them on KVR. People on KVR read these forums for amusement and to get stuff for free who happen to also have an interest in making music with DAWs and VST's.

Threads are one thing, dedicated forums for topics is quite another.

I've been posting on forums for 21 years... even on CGtalk back in 2002 and Computer Music magazines forum in 2000. Even Reasonstation.net back in 2001, 3D Buzz ect... I have a pretty good gauge in how communities balance out.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Frankly, I can't see it as anything other than nonsense to argue against a video production forum. Visuals are a perfectly valid aspect of musical production. From live visuals to trippy music videos and visualization. Even if many are not super interested, it would be super convenient for those that are, if only for organizational purposes. There is absolutely no reason not to have one regardless of the number of people who use it, since KVR is stingy about storing attachments anyway, it cost's very little to set up and maintain. Being that there are sub-forums with 0 posts in them already, what could possibly be the problem, obviously interest exists, and that should be enough reason in itself.
As for the plugin argument, there are at least a few plugins that are specifically related. :shrug:

Shabdahbriah wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:07 pm You are doubtless aware of this:

lzxindustries_chromagnon_01_1.jpg

https://lzxindustries.net/products/chromagnon
If it costs more than £25 its outside my budget.... :lol:

this is more my speed...

https://www.lofifuture.com/vga-converte ... ynthesizer
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:01 pm Ive been watching a few videos on the new CH/AV version, and its new accompanying VGA4EVA board, and Im now kicking myself for not getting a couple of the latter boards before Thonk ran out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5-lfymoDms
The CHA/V (CHEAP, HACKY, A/V) video synth definitely looks like it would be a cool project, but since the whole concept of video synthesis is pretty unfamiliar to me I was wondering if there might be some good free or cheap virtual video synth stuff available?

My only real exposure to anything remotely related is the WinAmp stuff, Milkdrop and AVS, which seems like it must be based on some form of video synthesis — since all that stuff is open source it would be cool if someone could developed a GUI front end with all the programming stuff laid out like a hardware video synth — I really, really like the best presets for Milkdrop and AVS and it would be great to be able to tweak them and create original stuff in a user friendly (no script) way and then render them at at any desired resolution.

Maybe that’s another positive thing that could come out of a KVR Video forum; draw the attention of more musically minded developers to the mostly untapped potential of music visualization software and its usefulness in today’s video-centric world where YouTube is probably the best place to attract listeners. Killer visuals are definitely going to make for a better video IMHO.

guitarzan wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:49 pm The CHA/V (CHEAP, HACKY, A/V) video synth definitely looks like it would be a cool project, but since the whole concept of video synthesis is pretty unfamiliar to me I was wondering if there might be some good free or cheap virtual video synth stuff available?
There's been some mentioned in this thread, but you'll have to dig through. That's the obvious advantage of an actual forum; being able to separate out lists of tools into their own threads, as happens with everything else.

now that my channel has subscribers (1) i better make a bloody start :o

THE INTRANCER wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:05 am I've been posting on forums for 21 years... I have a pretty good gauge in how communities balance out.
says the sockpuppeteer.

"Most of the topics in recent years about video are those I've brought up myself and it's the same few people that post in them."
this is supposed to be meaningful per se?
hate to break it to ya, the interest in you going on about skinning DAWs or plugins is so_not that sign...

Anyway, since I seem to have caught the attention of some people who might be interested, and only one naysayer, here's a suggestion:

We've got a little bit of a resource embedded in this thread, ie mentions of some software and the like.

In the interim, how about I try and expose some of that a little bit better in Everything Else, by flagging stuff up with a common tag in the subject, like

[VIDEO-GEAR] or [VIDEO-FORUM]

One thread for software tools, one for 3D, one thread for commercial hardware, one for DIY methods?

We never did anything so 'formal' for the circuit bending and DIY threads, but they did eventually build up enough momentum or whatever you'd call it to get the DIY forum, which, as Ive said a few dozen times, is sorta the template here.

Anyone more keen on shilling for their own website need not apply.

Quick Screen cap from the Hypno. Hypno is a good name for it, I dunno if I would recommend it because of the cost, but definitely it's a minimal hassle way of getting video synthesis into your modular. The ET Structure can do more, but it's quite a bit more expensive and also is gonna require some kind of capture device if you want to record.The Hypno can be captured over USB with no additional hardware. Definitely it can create cool visuals, but there is not a ton of range in that regard. Basic shapes, scaled, rotated, skewed, Hue manipulation etc. You can do much to manipulate the output far from this example, but that output is always going to be in the same general vein, at least without introducing external video sources, which would require some additional hardware to do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pekbro wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:31 pmThe Hypno can be captured over USB with no additional hardware.
Now that's quite interesting. Had a look at the product page and it says that it can do it via NDI, and thats -very- interesting, I didnt even know you could run NDI on embedded devices. The Hypno isnt Raspberry Pi based is it?

I think it's a good idea. I don't think the objection that KVR isn't a place full of video experts is valid; I'm expecting that people won't be coming on here to ask "hw 2 mk BlockBuster Movie VII", but for questions related to the musical side of things.

There's a number of things that are relevant to the KVR target audience that are quite niche in the sense that most people into making videos probably don't care much about them. But people here *will* have experience with exactly those things that other musicians care about. Off the top of my head:
  • Ways to create music videos for YT without a budget, especially things more exciting than a static image, bouncing EQ or slideshow
  • Approaches to creating tutorials etc.
  • Tips for live streaming a jam/production session
  • Ways to work around the limitations with ASIO in Windows (e.g. screen capture/streaming with audio)
Heck, maybe there's even some people who are into VJing or creating visual backdrops for gigs or whatever.

Sure, it's not going to be as lively as the Effects forum or whatever, but I don't think you can measure the usefulness of a resource just by its views or comments. A short post with a solution to a problem you are having is infinitely more useful than another "what's the best delay thread", even if you only read the solution once and never post in the thread. A handy list of capable video editors that don't break the bank (re the question from whyterabbyt above) is far more useful than another list of plugins thread IMO. Even if the "list your favourite plugins" threads get more traction, on the whole.

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:46 pm
pekbro wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:31 pmThe Hypno can be captured over USB with no additional hardware.
Now that's quite interesting. Had a look at the product page and it says that it can do it via NDI, and thats -very- interesting, I didnt even know you could run NDI on embedded devices. The Hypno isnt Raspberry Pi based is it?
Heh, i dunno, probably. it definitely looks like linux when its booting up, which i happend to see but didnt get a chance to read through the terminal output. Ive not seen that mentioned anywhere, tho ive not looked into it either.

Missed the obvious thing when creating this thread, have now added an actual poll.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”