Expensive vs Cheap guitar? What makes it better?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Let me add one thing about the player: his own expectation bias can - and most probably will - greatly influence his playing. So even if almost no time would have passed, if he would neiher be more or less tired than before, neither less or more hungry, thirsty, caffeine-impaired, bored, enthusiastic, yadda yadda - it is fairly likely that his playing will greatly influence the tone in different ways between the individual takes.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

https://youtu.be/Hbyg0d1njk0

Minimal differences and that with the human factor not completely taken out of the equation - but at least he tried (quite unlike that Warmoth marketing video)

jens wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:49 am https://youtu.be/Hbyg0d1njk0

Minimal differences and that with the human factor not completely taken out of the equation - but at least he tried (quite unlike that Warmoth marketing video)
Tone wood is most prevalent from the wood that is closest to the pickup which is why that test fails.

For a more accurate test of tonewoods check out the warmoth video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k_A8GhN0L8
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

that's the video he is referring to in his ending sentence.

im not joining in this time, i lost men in the first tone wood wars, good men :(

tapper mike wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:18 pm Tone wood is most prevalent from the wood that is closest to the pickup which is why that test fails.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't believe you just claimed that. :-o :hihi:

Please tell me this is just parody from you... :help: (Would be brilliant!)

tapper mike wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:18 pm check out the warmoth video.
I already commented on it the first time you posted a link for it one page back - and of course you chose to completely ignore what I said. It just totally didn't reach your brain somehow, it seems. :lol: :hihi:

vurt wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:23 pm im not joining in this time, i lost men in the first tone wood wars, good men :(
nah - there's far too many guitar-players anyway... and the majority of them would be most impressive when stuffed... :hihi:

not much actual meat though, mostly gristle.

So that should make it easier then... :hihi:

I love tonewood debates.

They should be called psychowoods tho, because they undeniably affect your brain and how you consequently perform.
Want mahogany to sound rounder? You’re sure as f**k gonna inadvertently flip the pick to satisfy your cognitive biases, because brain will protect you from being wrong.

jens wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:53 am It's long been proven that on electric guitars, the wood has virtually no effect on the tone of the guitars (that goes even more so for the fretboard btw.). The PUs are what matters. The rest is just a myth.
ever play a dan armstrong lucite guitar?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

No, why? Never heard of them - are they any good?

:lol: ty

go look at old stones albums, get yer yah yahs out in fact...they say it was a fuss between dan armstrong and ampeg that stopped production but I cant help but notice that these guitars are from the late 60's and early 70's and there still arent many lucite guitars...hmmm

My best friend and myself were huge stone fans then (early 70's), our little local store actually had a dan armstrong and we drooled over it. Many years later he got one, now it is true just by looking at the pick you can see pickup mods was not easy but it came with two pups and the slid in and out. Dreadful sounding guitar, dead, unnatural sustain at best. He found a guy in upstate New York or Vermont that collected them, he had several long talks with the guy about what he does to get good sound...then the guitar vanished :hihi:

You're gonna have to do a lot better than It's long been proven that on electric guitars, the wood has virtually no effect on the tone of the guitars

I completely agree that one should look to pups to define the sound, the thing about an electric over an acoustic is this is one of it's pros...you're not playing an electric guitar for an accurate acoustic guitar sound. Electrics are far more forgiving because of the pups and what you can do, as a result the nuances of fine sound we talk of from acoustics is simply not there. Going overboard to get fine sound from wood in an electric is like chasing rainbows because what you think you gain will likely never get noticed by anyone and get lost in what makes the electric guitar itself distinctive.

But to suggest wood has virtually no effect...well no sir, you may believe that but I trust my experience :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Return to “Guitars”