What is YOUR buffer size?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Having troubles with audio crackling at 256 buffer size and even at 512! Doesn't seem to be any crackling at max buffer but then stabby leads etc don't feel good.

So! ...... what is YOUR buffer size? I'd like to compare :lol:

How can you help lower your buffer? Is it CPU based?

I have Windows 10
i7 4790k @ 4GHz
8GB RAM
Ableton 10
M-AUDIO AIR 192 interface

Getting crackles on Vital synth VST, just one instance. I am on power management high performance. I disabled wifi but didn't help.

Any suggestions?

CPU usage is 15%, memory is 68% on task manager.

128 here, mostly because I read that there can be timing issues with higher buffer sizes, not because I'd need it for proper playing.

I don't get why you experience crackles, unless you play very expensive plugins, or have a high track count.

Check with latencymon if some drivers (graphics, etc.) are causing DPC latency spikes, that's my number one guess: https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Already using that doesn't seem to be helpful. It throws up different .sys - ACPI, wdf01000, ndis, msmpeng etc

sometimes it says the computer can handle real time audio sometimes not.

What buffer size you use?

rubez wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:23 pm Already using that doesn't seem to be helpful. It throws up different .sys sometimes it says the computer can handle real time audio sometimes not.
Not good. Test again, and post the results, and the processes it throws out here.

Yep chk071 is right. Let latencymon run for a good while, maybe at the same time you try to use your DAW and get those crackles, and post what's up.

If it "sometimes" says the computer can't handle realtime audio, that already means there's something not that optimal going on.

I've used a buffer size as low as 32 on an i7-3770K system with no problems at all. It's not just about the CPU; instead, for something like that you need a computer that doesn't contain parts/drivers that bottleneck realtime performance, including an audio interface with very solid and efficient drivers (for that, I've used RME HDSPe AIOs for years as they have always worked so well).

In regular operation, I tend to stay at 128 most often, even on systems with a faster CPU.

128 is the sweet spot.

Low enough latency for tracking everyone except drummers and vocalists, yet high enough to run a trouble free session in most cases.
Prestissimo in Moto Perpetuo

Double D's
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

What a studio question. It's whatever you buffer will allow dumb dumb.

I'm a 32, you ain't that good, why? You cheap?

If I'm playing live guitar through it in real time, 32.

Doing anything else, I switch to 1024 (Logic) or 2048 (Ableton Live). Latency doesn't bug me unless I'm actually strumming strings.

rubez wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:23 pm Already using that doesn't seem to be helpful. It throws up different .sys - ACPI, wdf01000, ndis, msmpeng etc

sometimes it says the computer can handle real time audio sometimes not.
It's just a monitor that tells you what could be problematic software components, not a tool that fixes the cause.

Post its exact findings here, and I'm sure someone will chime in to help you out fixing it.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

1024 all the time, for everything.

Nothing crackles between lowest and 512 setting on m-audio audiophile2496 - until I get over 95% usage or some peaks that hit that area. Somethings wrong there..

I use 128 to 512 - depending, on master 512 to give out some leeway
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

384 samples.

Keep in mind that I work at 88200 Hz sampling rate, which halves the buffer delay compared to standard setting ;)
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

But it really depends on the size of the buffet :)
No auto tune...

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”