Macbook M1 vs Intel Desktop

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fedexnman wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:46 pm Yeah if you got a good GPU card I'd go for the 5600x . I may go all out will see .
i5-11600K seems even better IMO when everything is taken into account

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbch8LW-Bz0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KycNI1FxIPc

Yikes. Same single core and roughly 30% better multicore vs M1 in cinebench r23, same multicore on geekbench, at 10x TDP.
What is intel even doing.

They weren't expecting everything to change that quickly, so they are desperate to stay relevant and release whatever they got, they have luck because some of their offerings fill the gap AMD has left and they are somehow priced competitively, at least for desktop builds, also fact that prices of GPU's went up makes some of their CPU's with integrated graphics much more interesting.

Maybe it's mistake building machine this year, both AMD and Intel are moving to next socket, Apple is going to reveal rest of the competing line, if anything prices will drop on some of the current choices.

4 cores 4 threads should be lowest thing one could purchase right now and that's still not the case, market needs to adjust, prices need to go down almost double in some cases, for example Ryzen 3 2200G should be lousiest thing one can find and it should cost 50% less than now, Intel staled market for far too long and Apple helped them in that big time, it's time for serious change.

More concrete rumors have started circulating, about the new Macs that will come out soon.

Up to 40 CPU cores (8 low power, 32 high power) and 128 GPU cores.

Sounds like they're going to ruin Intel/AMD PCs.

Certainly explains a Logic update a while back…the one allowing 1000 tracks in Logic, which had me scratching my head…
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

echosystm wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:14 pm More concrete rumors have started circulating, about the new Macs that will come out soon.

lol. You know that Mac has roughly 10% of the PC market? A drop in the Ocean compared to PC. Also Intel is blocking Apple/AMD at 3nm so thats probably why Apple will go intel with the bigger pro machines. The M1 is cool but capped at 32GB. If you need more RAM, forget it. PC owners are not going M1 any time soon.

https://www.techradar.com/news/intel-lo ... -and-apple
Last edited by UltraJv on Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

How is Mac stacking in pro audio market, anyone have numbers?

My problem with Apple is connectivity. My new PC build is screaming and I can connect a ton of USB, FireWire, add drives, RAM, additional video card. I dropped $2500 on it. Apple doesn’t even make anything like that. I’d be all over it if they did… like they used to… but they clearly don’t care about people like me any longer. Is the M1 better? I don’t really care. What I have is plenty powerful for my needs. Windows used to be kind of terrible, and aspects of it still are, but I have come to know it and the performance seems fine. You just have to know how to set it up to properly run a DAW.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

UltraJv wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:33 pm
echosystm wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:14 pm More concrete rumors have started circulating, about the new Macs that will come out soon.

lol. You know that Mac has roughly 10% of the PC market? A drop in the Ocean compared to PC. Also Intel is blocking Apple/AMD at 3nm so thats probably why Apple will go intel with the bigger pro machines. The M1 is cool but capped at 32GB. If you need more RAM, forget it. PC owners are not going M1 any time soon.

lol.

It is very cute that you think a $200b company can "box out" a $2.4t company, particularly when Intel is TSMCs main competitor.

Market share doesn't mean anything. Ferrari has a much smaller market share than Toyota. Macs are Ferraris, PCs aren't even Toyotas; they're Mitsubishis. You can give it a turbo and a body kit, but it will never be a Ferrari.

M1 was a consumer chip, albeit an incredibly good one. The M1X/M2 is already in mass production, for the flagship MacBooks, and will be out in the near future.
Last edited by echosystm on Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

the M1 is capped at 16GB and is an entry level chip.
Frankly, it behaves better than Intel chips with twice as much RAM, which is telling

Ploki wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:08 am

the M1 is capped at 16GB and is an entry level chip.
Frankly, it behaves better than Intel chips with twice as much RAM, which is telling
Under certain situations the M1 is good. Its not overall better though. Its a win for Apple as it ensures ecosystem lock in. Thats unacceptable for PC owners.

echosystm wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:46 am

lol.

It is very cute that you think a $200b company can "box out" a $2.4t company, particularly when Intel is TSMCs main competitor.

Market share doesn't mean anything. Ferrari has a much smaller market share than Toyota. Macs are Ferraris, PCs aren't even Toyotas; they're Mitsubishis. You can give it a turbo and a body kit, but it will never be a Ferrari.

M1 was a consumer chip, albeit an incredibly good one. The M1X/M2 is already in mass production, for the flagship MacBooks, and will be out in the near future.
For those who like to go for eco lock in, its a win for Apple. You get less flexibility though. Your comparison is a good one. Ferrari parts cost more so repairs are more expensive. You can only go to Ferrari for repair and when they tell you it cant be fixed, you have to buy another. The M1 makes this even more so. Good for business but not the customer. Time will tell.

echosystm wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:46 am Market share doesn't mean anything. Ferrari has a much smaller market share than Toyota. Macs are Ferraris, PCs aren't even Toyotas; they're Mitsubishis. You can give it a turbo and a body kit, but it will never be a Ferrari.
Quoted to come back here, for future laughs. ;)

Apple is really good. They managed well to make their customers true believers.

Just the other hand, I shook my head in dislbelief because I couldn't plug my powerbank into a relatives iPhone XR, because it misses a USB-C port, but it has a Thunderbolt port. :dog: So effin' retarded.

UltraJv wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:20 am
Under certain situations the M1 is good. Its not overall better though. Its a win for Apple as it ensures ecosystem lock in. Thats unacceptable for PC owners.
Misleading.
M1 is better in -every- equal TDP situation.
The question is whether apple will be able to scale it to bigger systems. If they do, there's absolutely nothing intel can do, because performance/watt IS performance when you don't have liquid nitrogen cooling

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”