Korg ARP Odyssey vs 26000

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

specifically in regard to the softsynth versions.

The Korg one is non modular, which I like because modular synthesis isn't for me.

Would i then be correct in assuming that in terms of pure synthesis/sound design options it is less capable? (Whether that matters or not isn't relevant here)?

Thanks.

I never really was convinced of the Korg softies. MS-20, for example, is really nothing like the real thing.

If you're serious about it, the Behringer Odyssey and 2600 might be worth a look.

chk071 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:19 am I never really was convinced of the Korg softies. MS-20, for example, is really nothing like the real thing.

If you're serious about it, the Behringer Odyssey and 2600 might be worth a look.
Sorry to say this but the Korg arp Oddysey is as close as you can get to the Real Korg Oddysey in the box and sounds just like one.
So if you don't know what you are talking about i suggest that you think twice before posting ;)
But i do agree on the MS 20 :tu:

On to the topic :)

The Oddysey has all 3 filter revisions from Rev 1-3.
It has 2 Oscillators with only Saw and Square Waveforms + Oscillator Sync + awesome sounding unison mode.

The 2600 has 3 Oscillators with Triangle, Sine, Square and Saw Waveforms but no Oscillator Sync and a Hipass, Bandpass and lowpass filter in 24db and 12db mode.

The Best way to see what fit you the best would be to try out their demos and see which you like the most in terms of sounds and features.

D-Fusion wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:28 am
chk071 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:19 am I never really was convinced of the Korg softies. MS-20, for example, is really nothing like the real thing.

Sorry to say this but the Korg arp Oddysey is as close as you can get to the Real Korg Oddysey in the box and sounds just like one.
So if you don't know what you are talking about i suggest that you think twice before posting ;)
"You're post is uninformed, and you don't know what you're talking about, but, I agree with you."

Find the error. ;)

Admittedly, I haven't tried the Odyssey softie, but, frankly, knowing the quality of the Korg software, I can't imagine that they have made quantum leaps in the analog modelling. The Behringer will be closer, I don't think you have to be a prophet to say that. If it's close enough for you, fine.

chk071 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:31 am
D-Fusion wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:28 am

"You're post is uninformed, and you don't know what you're talking about, but, I agree with you."

Find the error. ;)

Admittedly, I haven't tried the Odyssey softie, but, frankly, knowing the quality of the Korg software, I can't imagine that they have made quantum leaps in the analog modelling. The Behringer will be closer, I don't think you have to be a prophet to say that. If it's close enough for you, fine.
Yes find the Error?
I did agree on the MS 20 but this is about the Oddysey and not the vst's from year 2002 ;)
Trying to be a smartass like this and trying to twist my words is just stupid and since you haven't even tried the Oddysey i would say you are Really uninformed :clown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDsxwmB ... cusPadrini

I surely would want to compare the software to the hardware. All that I can say is that I doubt that the KORG software engineers upped their game so much, and compete with NI, Softube or u-he now.

The KORG Legacy Collection is from 2004, by the way, as far as I can see. And, as far as I know, some of the included plugins were added later. See here for the details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korg_Legacy_Collection

I thought I was clear about the question. I'm not looking for opinions on whether soft synths are good or bad.

ghostwhistler wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:50 am

I thought I was clear about the question.
Not really. Maybe you want to restate your question, because, like that, it isn't really understandable.

What are you asking exactly? You're talking "specifically about the software versions", but, there isn't a software version of the 2600 from Korg.

chk071 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:50 am I surely would want to compare the software to the hardware. All that I can say is that I doubt that the KORG software engineers upped their game so much, and compete with NI, Softube or u-he now.

The KORG Legacy Collection is from 2004, by the way, as far as I can see. And, as far as I know, some of the included plugins were added later. See here for the details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korg_Legacy_Collection
I've no interest in the hardware. I don't ever intend to own it nor could I afford it so the only useful comparison is between these two instruments. In fact I'm not evben really comparing. I simply want to understand the differences. I'm not trying to prove which is 'better'

chk071 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:54 am
ghostwhistler wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:50 am

I thought I was clear about the question.
Not really. Maybe you want to restate your question, because, like that, it isn't really understandable.

What are you asking exactly? You're talking "specifically about the software versions", but, there isn't a software version of the 2600 from Korg.
This was my question: "Would i then be correct in assuming that in terms of pure synthesis/sound design options it is less capable? (Whether that matters or not isn't relevant here)?"

chk071 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:50 am I surely would want to compare the software to the hardware. All that I can say is that I doubt that the KORG software engineers upped their game so much, and compete with NI, Softube or u-he now.
I agree about the MS-20 as well. Not much like the original. But you're wrong about the Odyssey. It's in another league from the other earlier korg vsts and does compete with those other ones you mention.

I see that the Cherry audio also have added a suboscillator on Oscillator 1 and oscillator sync on Osc 2-3 so between the Oddysey and the CA 2600 the CA2600 Has the most sound design options.

The Arturia arp 2600v have added Oscillator sync on Oscillator 1 and Oscillator 1 Has only Square and Saw Waveform like on the oddysey And osc 2-3 do have the full Triangle, Sine, Square and Saw Waveforms.

I thought both 2600 emulations where true to the HW so i had to correct myself abit now. :oops:
They added some bonuses on closer look which are great and that gives them even more sound design options than the Oddysey.

So it all depends on what you prefer and how much of the extra features you are going to use.

I prefer the Odyssey. I can't get my head around modular synthesis at all and there's no decent tutorials that I can find. Also the fx on the Odyssey are better than the CA ones, plus they included polyuphony.

Just a shame then that when I went to buy it I forgot to remove the Wavestation from the basket and ended up buying that by mistake. Now I'm waiting on KOrg's customer suppot to respond. Over 24 hours later and nothing. Bit frustrating

ghostwhistler wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:44 pm I prefer the Odyssey. I can't get my head around modular synthesis at all and there's no decent tutorials that I can find. Also the fx on the Odyssey are better than the CA ones, plus they included polyuphony.

Just a shame then that when I went to buy it I forgot to remove the Wavestation from the basket and ended up buying that by mistake. Now I'm waiting on KOrg's customer suppot to respond. Over 24 hours later and nothing. Bit frustrating
I also prefer the Oddysey over the 2600 because of the effects and that awesome sounding Unison mode :)

Agreed about the korg ms20 vst , nothing to write home about and the engine hasn't been updated , it was great in 2005 , but times have moved on.
I just played with the the korg/arp oddisey demo and this is on a whole new level .
Sounds stellar !
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Instruments”