How well do you think the Maschine+ did for NI?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

apoclypse wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:27 pm1. The pads aren't as sensitive as something like the Maschine. That's because the MPC pads require more force to trigger things. Some consider that a negative but the MPC wants you to bang the pads and that seems to be how they want you to use the device. You can mess around with the sesitivity of the pads but it still won't be like Maschine's.
Yeah I hated the pads on the MPC. For me, worst pads I ever used. After the first week of trying to make it work, I gave up, plugged in a midi controller and never touched the pads again.

apoclypse wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:27 pm
bharris22 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:31 pm How is the overall quality on the MPC One? I have the Akai LPK midi controller, and it really feels like a poorly made toy. That experience has soured me on Akai generally, but am curious if their higher end hardware is better/more substantial.
Night and day. The MPCs are rock solid. Great knobs, the pads are pretty good and the build quality imo is exceptional.

There are a few issues and one of them isn't really an issue but more of a philosophy on how things should work.

1. The pads aren't as sensitive as something like the Maschine. That's because the MPC pads require more force to trigger things. Some consider that a negative but the MPC wants you to bang the pads and that seems to be how they want you to use the device. You can mess around with the sesitivity of the pads but it still won't be like Maschine's.

2. The data wheel knob (at least on the OG Live) tends to fall off. I haven't had the same issue on the Force so newer MPCs may not have the same issue. You can always buy a nicer data wheel to replace the one on the MPC, most people do.

3. The rubber coating kind of sucks. I hate it. But a vinyl wrap should take care of that.
Excellent - thanks for your opinion!

pdxindy wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:14 pm
apoclypse wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:37 pm2 - The touch screen is not iPad level but it's pretty good and responsive imo. NI's approach is not great if you are dealing with complex instruments, or if you are dealing with the piano roll. It works, but you'll be paging for days to get to a specific parameter (assuming it was mapped by NI in the preset you chose). On the MPC I just literally tap what I want and move the data wheel. Can't get any easier than that.
To each their own I guess...

I regularly 'missed' when trying to touch something on the MPC Live screen. I found it a bit annoying. Never do on the iPad.

In any case, the MPC Live felt like an underpowered, weak-GUI'ed computer. Made me realize I would much rather use the computer. Far superior DAW, big beautiful screen, I can use exactly the instruments and FX I wish and so on.

It's all good. Buying (and selling) the MPC was part of me figuring out what worked for me.
Thats what its all about really, what works for you.

I like it so much I bought a Live, One, and Force…retired my maschine, and just this week shelved my Push2…which felt tough as Id been using Push since the first one came out…but nowadays arrange in Force and mix with an x touch and extender…never thought Id see the day.

bharris22 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:46 pm
apoclypse wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:27 pm
bharris22 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:31 pm How is the overall quality on the MPC One? I have the Akai LPK midi controller, and it really feels like a poorly made toy. That experience has soured me on Akai generally, but am curious if their higher end hardware is better/more substantial.
Night and day. The MPCs are rock solid. Great knobs, the pads are pretty good and the build quality imo is exceptional.

There are a few issues and one of them isn't really an issue but more of a philosophy on how things should work.

1. The pads aren't as sensitive as something like the Maschine. That's because the MPC pads require more force to trigger things. Some consider that a negative but the MPC wants you to bang the pads and that seems to be how they want you to use the device. You can mess around with the sesitivity of the pads but it still won't be like Maschine's.

2. The data wheel knob (at least on the OG Live) tends to fall off. I haven't had the same issue on the Force so newer MPCs may not have the same issue. You can always buy a nicer data wheel to replace the one on the MPC, most people do.

3. The rubber coating kind of sucks. I hate it. But a vinyl wrap should take care of that.
Excellent - thanks for your opinion!
Just to add I think the MPC Pads are just about best in class, and Ive been through loads, classic mpcs, maschine, mpd controllers, MCs etc etc. I think the mk3 launchpad pro just pip it for the best as I really rate them.

The rubber coatings a bug bear to some, and Im not saying its ideal…but Ive had my Live for four years and one month…used it more than any other instrument, and its like new to this day. Also my One is the retro version, apart from being the best looking out of the entire range the coatings not the same, so if it was a concern. Keep in mind the One pads are smaller, not that its bothered me :tu:

pdxindy wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:14 pm
In any case, the MPC Live felt like an underpowered, weak-GUI'ed computer. Made me realize I would much rather use the computer. Far superior DAW, big beautiful screen, I can use exactly the instruments and FX I wish and so on.
Well, I guess you could argue that all ‘digital’ music making hardware is just an underpowered, weak-GUI'ed computer….but the MPC range probably has the one of the best displays I have seen on hardware, and all the GUIs are pretty now :wink:

Love it or hate it, one thing that can’t be disputed is the amount of new features and updates AKAI constantly put out :clap:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:34 pm Love it or hate it, one thing that can’t be disputed is the amount of new features and updates AKAI constantly put out :clap:
I really liked most of the MPC Live, just hated dealing with odd time signatures in it and there’s always a chance that gets fixed in the upcoming MPC 3 along with the improved song window. That happens and I would be tempted into getting the Live 2.

SLiC wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:34 pmLove it or hate it, one thing that can’t be disputed is the amount of new features and updates AKAI constantly put out :clap:
That is not much of an enticement for me. Everything already has too many features!

pdxindy wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:35 am
SLiC wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:34 pmLove it or hate it, one thing that can’t be disputed is the amount of new features and updates AKAI constantly put out :clap:
That is not much of an enticement for me. Everything already has too many features!
Not in the groovebox space. In that space the MPC is literally in class of it's own even compared to Maschine+. So while it may not be all that impressive to you people are starting to pay attention to the MPC because for the price it pretty much outmatches anything else in its category.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

pdxindy wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:18 pm
apoclypse wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:27 pm1. The pads aren't as sensitive as something like the Maschine. That's because the MPC pads require more force to trigger things. Some consider that a negative but the MPC wants you to bang the pads and that seems to be how they want you to use the device. You can mess around with the sesitivity of the pads but it still won't be like Maschine's.
Yeah I hated the pads on the MPC. For me, worst pads I ever used. After the first week of trying to make it work, I gave up, plugged in a midi controller and never touched the pads again.

Like I said it's a difference in philosophy on how pads should work. Considering Akai invented the format in the first place I'm not saying they are right, I'm saying they are entitled to their opinion on it. MPCs traditionally are made to be banged on so the pads are less sensitive but great if that's your style. Personally I like the Maschine pads more myself, but don't really mind the MPC ones.

Funnily when I played my Maschine Studio the other day I kept hitting the pads on it way too hard after playing the MPC Live for a long time. It's just takes adjustment.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

kcearl wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:14 pm

I like it so much I bought a Live, One, and Force…retired my maschine, and just this week shelved my Push2…which felt tough as Id been using Push since the first one came out…but nowadays arrange in Force and mix with an x touch and extender…never thought Id see the day.
Yeah, you are like the modern MPC guy :wink:

I've never had a midi controller stick to me yet. I always end up back with screen and mouse for most tasks.

I might try a Faderport 16 for mixing. I like real faders and not paging through menus. I haven't yet cause I would have to rethink studio space to make a spot for it.

apoclypse wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:47 am
pdxindy wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:18 pm
Like I said it's a difference in philosophy on how pads should work. Considering Akai invented the format in the first place I'm not saying they are right, I'm saying they are entitled to their opinion on it. MPCs traditionally are made to be banged on so the pads are less sensitive but great if that's your style. Personally I like the Maschine pads more myself, but don't really mind the MPC ones.

Funnily when I played my Maschine Studio the other day I kept hitting the pads on it way too hard after playing the MPC Live for a long time. It's just takes adjustment.
I had the MPC Live for months before I finally sold it. I was never able to play a simple melody on those pads. Ever. The amount of force needed meant all nuance was lost. This is my result, not saying what someone else could or could not do.

I've never owned a Maschine, but have had hands on in the store. At least I could use the pads for a variety of uses.

As a standalone box that is offering drums and synths and enough tracks to do something of everything, I was 100% disappointed in the pads on the MPC because they were (for me) incapable of fulfilling their purpose as an input device.

pdxindy wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:52 pm
kcearl wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:14 pm

Yeah, you are like the modern MPC guy :wink:

I've never had a midi controller stick to me yet. I always end up back with screen and mouse for most tasks.

I might try a Faderport 16 for mixing. I like real faders and not paging through menus. I haven't yet cause I would have to rethink studio space to make a spot for it.
yeah I think I kinda wish Id went for the faderport as its a smaller footprint...I've had Studio One since it came out but its been stuck on V2 for years.

Had loads of midi controllers but without motorized faders they just never got used....now I love mixing on the x touch, and 16 faders is just about enough for me as you can just group things and open them from the controller...Id highly recommend getting something along these lines

It takes quite a while to 'break in' the pads (several weeks of playing drums on them for me) but they soften up. Obviously you have both sensitivity and threshold settings which allow you to change the force needed for a trigger (threshold), and the force to velocity sensitivity as well. I find the velocity range on mine about perfect now, I can get from about 10 with a light tap all the way up with a 'hit', with other pads the soft touches (especially with AT) can be quite hard to control, but its really all personal preference! You can get some quote cool and expressive stuff with the pads with sounds changing on initial strike, AT and 'release' (note off triggering)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Randomization is also very cool and moves in to Elektron territory, you can now add selectable randomisation to volume, pan, pitch, filter, sample offset and envelope parameters...

kcearl wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:40 pmyeah I think I kinda wish Id went for the faderport as its a smaller footprint...I've had Studio One since it came out but its been stuck on V2 for years.

Had loads of midi controllers but without motorized faders they just never got used....now I love mixing on the x touch, and 16 faders is just about enough for me as you can just group things and open them from the controller...Id highly recommend getting something along these lines
Thanks for the recommendation! How are the X Touch and the Extender for noise?

I've never had hands on a Faderport. Generally heard good things though. 16 tracks/faders is perfect for me. I use Bitwig and Bitwig comes with a Faderport script so the integration is good. It is on my to-buy list.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”