Futuresonus Parva

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
KVRer
7 posts since 27 Apr, 2017

Post Tue May 30, 2017 7:46 pm

How many Linnstrument owners here also own the Futuresonus Parva?
I've watched all of the available YouTube videos, & dug through the Futuresonus forum, but I was just wondering how satisfied the Linnstrumentalist Parva owners are with the MPE capabilities of the synth, the workflow, the firmware, & the customer support?

Thanks,
Greg

KVRer
17 posts since 20 Jul, 2015

Post Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:50 pm

I ordered one a few weeks ago based on the synth's footprint, videos capturing the sound (thanks Geert!) and the modulation capabilities it has. I too am curious about other Linnstrument players' experiences with it. Really looking forward to making some MPE patches with it though!

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:22 pm

Congrats on the new purchase. I'm pretty close to placing an order. I found a good Parva thread on the Muffwiggler board, but I was hoping for some Linnstrument specific discussion.

KVRist
31 posts since 11 Feb, 2015

Post Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:42 am

I have both but didn't have much time to play with the system.
When I tested quickly, MPE mode seemed to work well with the latest release of the Parva firmware. Will report when I get to test it more !

KVRist
129 posts since 4 Apr, 2013

Post Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:52 am

Also have both and I'm happy camper. MPE works fine - editing from front panel affects all voices/channels when in MPE mode. Although I'm not friend of strict MPE where Y axis of Linnstrument sends CC 74 which is hard-wired to filter cutoff (part of MPE standard definiton). It's not an issue as you can set Y to CC 1 (ModWheel) or any other CC and map your stuff freely via mod matrix of Parva. BUT ... when mapping ModWheel to filter frequency, strangely you don't get full range of the filter frequency range under control. These are the only minor things which I find little quirky ... mod matrix mapping doesn't seem to work, in some cases, as one would expect or is used to from other synths. I.e. if you want to shorten the ENV Attack value with higher Velocity (setting negative mod amount to get harder Attacks) ... it's not functioning exactly well. Brad promised to have a look into it but he seems to be busy with production. Other mappings are fine.
Still, Brad is responding on Parva forum and provides individual support to his customers.
In general, I can say Parva is great sounding analog with enough modulation possibilities and pairs nicely with Linnstrument.

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:19 pm

Thanks, that was exactly the kind of overview I was hoping to find here. I have also found your YouTube videos helpful.

KVRer
12 posts since 25 Jan, 2016

Post Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:49 am

Personally I have not been able to make Parva work with linnstrument in MPE mode. Lots of wierd bugs. With the latest firmware it kinda worked for a while then it was back to erratic behavior. Apparently a few Parva owners experience similar issues. Brad has assured me that he will prioritize this though so hopefully it will work out in time. Parva is a great synth though.

The experience has just been very underwhelming for me since I bought it last Autumn to have something to play while i wait for Ableton to get their shit together. I haven't really been able to use it at all. Except as a synth for on of switches witch I already have too many off;)

I would wait on buying it until it's more stable. This of course depends on your expectations.

KVRer

Post Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:16 am

Damn, I keep buying buggy synths :dog:

Any chance there's a thread on the Parva forum discussing the unstable behaviour you mentioned? Mine's being prepped to shipped currently, and it would be awesome to know what to look for when trying it out. Thanks!

KVRer

Post Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:16 am

Damn, I keep buying buggy synths :dog:

Any chance there's a thread on the Parva forum discussing the unstable behaviour you mentioned? Mine's being prepped to shipped currently, and it would be awesome to know what to look for when trying it out. Thanks!

KVRer
12 posts since 25 Jan, 2016

Post Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:46 pm

Hehe yeah, me too.
If it's a problem you'll notice for sure..
I don't think there's a tread.
i've been speaking directly with Brad mostly.
He said a few where experiencing similar issues so hopefully it won't be a problem for you.
He's also assured me that he will now make it a priority.

KVRer

Post Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:27 pm

Thanks for letting me know! That's great - He seem's quite proactive.

Pretty excited to start messing around with the Linnstrument + Parva setup!

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:23 am

Brad @ Futuresonus posted this last night on their community forum thread about the latest OS update.

"The main updates in the pipeline are a fix for USB host buffer overflow (reported by several Linnstrument owners) and improving the triangle wave "slow attack." Other than that, I'm looking at possible noise improvements, both firmware and hardware."

KVRist
37 posts since 26 Mar, 2020

Post Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:54 am

Resurrecting this old thread since there is a 2nd hand Parva for sale in my area.
On paper this seems like a fantastic hardware synth for my Linnstrument.

Were the bugs finally fixed?
If not, what is still not working properly?

KVRist
101 posts since 15 Feb, 2012

Post Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:08 pm

You should be aware that support has the appearance of being quite limited. On the support page at futureson.us, the links for the manual work, but not for firmware downloads or for the community forum, or much of anything else. There's a support email address; it might behoove you to ask what support might be available if you do buy one.

KVRist
37 posts since 26 Mar, 2020

Post Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:21 am

Rimwolf wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:08 pm
(...) There's a support email address; it might behoove you to ask what support might be available if you do buy one.
So I did and this is the reply I got:
Jef,

I will do my best to continue to support Parvas -- I still have some
spare parts, and of course I'm always available via email.

The latest firmware is version 0.70, and it can be downloaded from
here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wbrh099miyqr0 ... e.zip?dl=0

-Brad
Giving me some confidence to go for the 2nd hand Parva.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”