Things guitar salesmen say

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not you again. What's it today then another pick?
Why the hell did I come back to this God forsaken forum? :dog:

jamcat wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:26 am “This guitar was owned by a little old lady who only played it at church on Sundays.”

“Original set of strings on this baby, and had regular tune-ups.”
If it was this lady. I would buy it.
https://youtu.be/iSwoM7WIy5M

tapper mike wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:50 am
guitarmiester wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:17 am I must be in the Twilight Zone. All Guitar Centers I've been in within the last couple years didn't have anyone in any apparent sales role. They're all younger kids on their phones behind the counter, nobody to be seen or the few members of staff mindlessly demoing gear for themselves.

The days of their sales team jumping for each body through the door are gone, at least the shops throughout NJ and PA. The closest I got to a sales pitch was a few weeks ago where the guy appeared out of thin air to ask if I was also hearing heavy rain. I was hoping to try a few EQD pedals except he disappeared as fast as he appeared once hearing my confirmation of rain.
The last time I was in a GC was a few years back when looking for a Korg Krome. It was one of those purchases I didn't want to wait for delivery. Called my local GC to confirm that they had the item in stock the day before. They said yes, I said I'd be there the next day and was very interested.

Next day I come in to the store said Hey I called about the Korg Krome can I see it. The guy looks at me and says hmm let's go back into the keyboard room. No Krome to be found. I said I'd called and I had verification that it was indeed in stock. All the while the sales guy was trying to steer me to other keys near that range. Same bait and switch they've pulled for years and years.

I can't say what is going on in GC these days but I refuse to go. Before it was a thing that if you need a big brand big ticket item you had to go to GC. Fender and especially Gibson made it impossible for ma pa dealers to sell with a reasonable markup while giving high volume stores like Sweetwater (yes sweetwater did have brick and mortar) Sam Ash and GC.

I know that the eu did something about that price fixing years back and I don't know if the US did the same.
https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/gibso ... st-1534522
1. That's not bait and switch, bait and switch is quite serious
bait and switch

n.
A fraudulent advertising claim or sales offer for a product or service that is not available or not for sale at the stated price, made with the intention of luring customers who are then offered something else or forced to spend more money to get the same thing.
n.
A deception based on a false claim or enticement that proves to be disappointing.
n.
An unscrupulous and sometimes illegal sales technique, in which an inexpensive product is advertised to attract prospective customers who are then told by sales personnel that the inexpensive product is unavailable or of poor quality and are instead urged to buy a more expensive product.
2. Even the link you gave (which is just another forum) says thats not price fixing...because it isnt...when I worked at MARS in Natick Mass there is still a GC in Natick...we had some products they didnt and vice versa, because the parent company doesnt want two dealers that close...Fender was huge on this but so are many companies in many industries
price fixing

n.
The setting of artificially high prices for goods or services by unlawful agreement of competing companies.
n.
Governmental setting of prices for goods or services.
n.
: In antitrust law, collusion between competitors in order to raise prices, at the expense of competitive pricing.
the fact is a salesman needs to make sales to eat, if one doesnt make their draw at GC GC gets rid of them fast...at the turn of the century to make my draw I had to sell about 60k a month (sticker price) and if I did my job well my PM would give me a nice commission.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I'll toss in a couple picks, for free.....

PatchAdamz wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:33 am I'll toss in a couple picks, for free.....
:lol:
No auto tune...

"Are you sure you don't want a blue one?" Never forget that. They had Squier bullet strats for €129. Discount. But when I entered the shoppe I noticed a pink bullet for €99. Without thinking I grabbed that one. Turned out that they were stuck with some baby blue ones and a pink one.
Usually a Sq bullet went for €159.

So the guy plugged the guitar into an expensive Marshall set. I did my warming up glissando routine. However, back then I was playing acoustic, so the fingers of my left hand touched the strings when playing. Used to play on a thicker neck. Which caused this amazing sitar like sounds. We both were perplexed by the sound.

I said that I was going to buy it, then the salesman began to act in an odd way. They said they had adjusted the screws of the strings 'Hawaiian style' very lightly. I could just pick a baby blue one if I did not like it. Then he showed another guitar. At some point I got suspicious; I had my mind set on the pink one.

I purchased the guitar and then the girl behind the counter said to the salesman: "There goes your guitar!"

Made in China, you could've guessed it.

Saffran wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:44 pm
jamcat wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:26 am “This guitar was owned by a little old lady who only played it at church on Sundays.”

“Original set of strings on this baby, and had regular tune-ups.”
If it was this lady. I would buy it.
https://youtu.be/iSwoM7WIy5M
That is seriously kick arse blues and she's having a ball :clap:
No auto tune...

Last time I bought a guitar at Thomann, I asked for a 'loyal customer' discount. The guy offered me 2 sets of strings. Naturally, I chose Elixirs. I reckon I got my discount. I paid €1705 for it last August, and it's now listed at €1999. Stores here do not move far from MAP, if at all. I guess that's why they're in better shape than Guitar Center and other places that try to cut each other's throats.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

who taught you to play?

have you thought about suing them?

Need help removing your penis from the sound hole?

It almost plays Freebird by it self.

Would you like to add pro coverage?

hey, you look familiar.
whoa! you're pat smear.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

dude, what the hell?
why are you wearing a kfc bucket as a hat?
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

i once went to a different, but equally local (im midway between 2, or was, one closed) branch of the same chain.
there was a younger lad who i had seen at the store i normally visited, he asked me "scuse me, are you the guy with the beard who bought all the pedals?"

the answer was yes, im still the guy with the beard, and im here to buy even more pedals :D

Return to “Guitars”