all wrecked up [electronic] UPDATE: stereo-mid-fix-edit

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

eassae wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:50 pm Theres one sound in the drums that really weights left the entire track, if you bounced it from left to right it may balance the feeling while still keeping the drums nice and wide.
ah i see what you mean. :cry: it is not possible...or only with a lot of tweaking, too much tweaking for my taste. it is a short part of a premade loop - i used some sounds of it. the "bells" sound is normally in the middle, but then you have a crazy shaker thing on the right channel... right in the front. so i decided to pan the "bells" to the left.
it is better to have a track with some mistakes than a track without any soul
myself in 2022

tomtom1 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:10 am
eassae wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:50 pm Theres one sound in the drums that really weights left the entire track, if you bounced it from left to right it may balance the feeling while still keeping the drums nice and wide.
ah i see what you mean. :cry: it is not possible...or only with a lot of tweaking, too much tweaking for my taste. it is a short part of a premade loop - i used some sounds of it. the "bells" sound is normally in the middle, but then you have a crazy shaker thing on the right channel... right in the front. so i decided to pan the "bells" to the left.
One option to try would be to get a single drum hit sample that matches your loop, you could event try to pull it from the loop itself, then pan it right. If you can't get it from the loop it would still probably work if it had a similar pitch and processing to make it feel like the original, even with a different timbre.
eassae.com
“I do nothing professionally, I do everything for fun.”—Prince, Under the Cherry Moon

eassae wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:37 pm Very nice! 2:55 :hyper:

The only production note I have is that it seemed heavily weighted to the left.
Loved the track - melodically very strong once again!

Honest response to the STEREO issue mentioned here - it was the very first thing I noticed and I'm listening on speakers not headphones! Would it bother the casual listener - tricky one to answer for sure as a lot of listeners genuinely don't pick up a lot of production touches at all, but it is quite a strong left-bias on this one.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

ChameleonMusic wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:40 pm t was the very first thing I noticed and I'm listening on speakers not headphones! Would it bother the casual listener - tricky one to answer for sure as a lot of listeners genuinely don't pick up a lot of production touches at all, but it is quite a strong left-bias on this one.
hi Mark, thanks for listening. tbh i didn't hear the issue in the first time, was so used to it - and still now (at least on my speakers) i have to say that it isn't so "bad" at all. but maybe they aren't perfect placed (trinagle-wise) - will check it out. (the high-hats are in the left side too... that's really not good.) maybe i was influenced by the beginning of this :) ... okay totally different style... but you will understand what i mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08ts6hekHlc
myself in 2022

tomtom1 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:52 pm
ChameleonMusic wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:40 pm t was the very first thing I noticed and I'm listening on speakers not headphones! Would it bother the casual listener - tricky one to answer for sure as a lot of listeners genuinely don't pick up a lot of production touches at all, but it is quite a strong left-bias on this one.
hi Mark, thanks for listening. tbh i didn't hear the issue in the first time, was so used to it - and still now (at least on my speakers) i have to say that it isn't so "bad" at all. but maybe they aren't perfect placed (trinagle-wise) - will check it out. (the high-hats are in the left side too... that's really not good.) maybe i was influenced by the beginning of this :) ... okay totally different style... but you will understand what i mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08ts6hekHlc
Good old 1970s recording techniques...well you started this by showing the video...

Yeah it sounds great and records like Rumours by Fleetwood Mac probably sound even better.

Yep the stereo use is weird by many modern standards, but...

1) It is still basically balanced across the image (with a great sense of depth as well)
2) The stereo is quite 'wide' with some interesting placements, but it was easier to do effectively then because...
a) Most of those tracks were recorded in mono; probably with good isolation and very
dry
b) Then they would've probably used a 'proper' plate reverb to gel the whole thing together + a little tiny bit of tape delay as well...works wonders when trying to glue the mix together.

I'm gonna stop...going into teaching mode again! :)
tbh i didn't hear the issue in the first time, was so used to it
That's often the danger I think for all of us when doing production work...you get so involved that the details can get lost.
i have to say that it isn't so "bad" at all.
Didn't ruin the listen as such for me either, although it was instantly noticeable (yeah those cymbals as well). BUT...people like myself and eassae will be more fussy about this than most without a doubt.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

Excellent track! A great combination of accessible melody and unpredictable sonic elements.

The stereo image didn't bother me. I did think the production was a little lo-fi and bassy but not in a bad way. Ultimately, the creative ideas outweigh any minor mix issues.

Frantz wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:21 am Excellent track! A great combination of accessible melody and unpredictable sonic elements.

The stereo image didn't bother me. I did think the production was a little lo-fi and bassy but not in a bad way. Ultimately, the creative ideas outweigh any minor mix issues.
That last sentence from Frantz is the one to take notice of, I think!!!

Very cool track, enjoyed it a lot! Indeed a bit like squarepusher or boxcutter, but in all the right ways. Well done.

ChameleonMusic wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:20 am That last sentence from Frantz is the one to take notice of, I think!!!
too late. i am already offended :smack:

okay not really :hug: ; but it annoyed me a bit - that i didn't recognize it sooner. I tried something else, have a look if you want - but I was just quick. I am unfortunately ill and had a little time. would that be better? or is too much lost?
ChameleonMusic wrote: Good old 1970s recording techniques...well you started this by showing the video...
:) sometimes i wish i could take some lesson with you. all the things you know... :o
Last edited by tomtom1 on Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
myself in 2022

Frantz wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:21 am Excellent track! A great combination of accessible melody and unpredictable sonic elements.

hi Frantz, thanks for your time and listening. thanks for the kind words.
(but i try to do it better next time :) )
myself in 2022

lwj wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:13 am Very cool track, enjoyed it a lot! Indeed a bit like squarepusher or boxcutter, but in all the right ways. Well done.
thanks a lot for your time and the comment. boxcutter? never heard of him. will check his music out.
myself in 2022

eassae wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:43 am If you can't get it from the loop it would still probably work if it had a similar pitch and processing to make it feel like the original, even with a different timbre.
hi essae, thanks. that was a good tip. changed it to a 505 cowbell (had no other). but it works quite well (posted it above), and some days later i really like it (plus the mix got more "clean").

btw. i was visiting your homepage again.
you have some really cool pictures (i liked especially the ones from sage and kolmanskop). although they were a bit depressing :) are you a photographing, martial-arts, musician? can you live from it? or is it just a "hobby"?
myself in 2022

tomtom1 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:18 am
eassae wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:43 am If you can't get it from the loop it would still probably work if it had a similar pitch and processing to make it feel like the original, even with a different timbre.
hi essae, thanks. that was a good tip. changed it to a 505 cowbell (had no other). but it works quite well (posted it above), and some days later i really like it (plus the mix got more "clean").

btw. i was visiting your homepage again.
you have some really cool pictures (i liked especially the ones from sage and kolmanskop). although they were a bit depressing :) are you a photographing, martial-arts, musician? can you live from it? or is it just a "hobby"?
Much more balanced from left to right now :tu:

Sometimes I do paid photoshoots, but pretty rarely anymore, only if it's something I'm interested in shooting. Martial arts, I teach part-time, and I do get paid, but I wouldn't be able to live off it. Music is what I love — I always kind of followed the quote from Prince in Under the Cherry Moon, "I do nothing professionally, I do everything for fun."

That said, I have to eat, so I have a job as a web developer / web master at a museum(also part-time).
eassae.com
“I do nothing professionally, I do everything for fun.”—Prince, Under the Cherry Moon

Very strange.

Strange is good.

Good work :)

BTW. I preferred the new mix

seismic1 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:31 pm Very strange.

Strange is good.

Good work :)

BTW. I preferred the new mix
Thanks!

Thanks a lot.

Glad you liked it :)

BTW. me too :)
myself in 2022

Return to “Music Cafe”