how extreme can one take parameters in pianoteq?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I see pianoteq is on sale and it often gets praise. But how far can one manipulate the parameters of the model away from a classic piano sound? Any examples?

There’s a demo with no limitations except few notes dont play.
You can go pretty far off “piano” of you want to, terms of string length, body size and abnormal resonances, but it’s not as broad as i.e. Chromaphone

My favourite "extreme" feature is pianoteqs sound morphing option, not to be confused with layering which is also an option. You can combine multiple instruments to varying amounts to create cool hybrid instruments. The harmonics, dynamics, and characteristics of each interact with each other in crazy and unique ways. Imagine a concert harp mixed with a church bell or a hohner electric piano mixed with a marimba and you get get the idea. If you go further and start to mess with the temperaments you can start to get some crazy resonances and instruments that create feedback cycles within themselves. It's super cool. I like it especially because you end up with instruments that sound like they are real but leave the listener wondering what exactly it is they're hearing.

You can create pretty crazy stuff from Piano and Celeste models, going in the direction of a Hang, Balinese percussion et cetera. Also altered cinematic piano sounds are possible. the partials and the energy inertia are powerful controls

CableChannel wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:56 pm You can create pretty crazy stuff from Piano and Celeste models, going in the direction of a Hang, Balinese percussion et cetera. Also altered cinematic piano sounds are possible. the partials and the energy inertia are powerful controls
Robinrobo wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:23 pm My favourite "extreme" feature is pianoteqs sound morphing option, not to be confused with layering which is also an option. You can combine multiple instruments to varying amounts to create cool hybrid instruments. The harmonics, dynamics, and characteristics of each interact with each other in crazy and unique ways. Imagine a concert harp mixed with a church bell or a hohner electric piano mixed with a marimba and you get get the idea. If you go further and start to mess with the temperaments you can start to get some crazy resonances and instruments that create feedback cycles within themselves. It's super cool. I like it especially because you end up with instruments that sound like they are real but leave the listener wondering what exactly it is they're hearing.
thanks- that sounds promising, certainly worth trying the demo. I was hoping for a video showing someone exploring the limits but have not found one so far. Demo it is

There is a forum on the modartt website - you can find some audio samples posted if you dig a little. Some users also sell pianoteq transfers there, and you could upgrade to the version you want.

Return to “Instruments”