I need 32-bit VSTs with nice New Age pad sounds, can anyone advise?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRist
89 posts since 15 Sep, 2008 from Hastings

Post Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:00 pm

Dear Anyone.

I'm a disabled guy who loves writing New Age music, but I've no idea what VST/VSTs to use for pad sounds. People like Karunesh, Yellow Brick Cinema (especially them!!) Aeoliah, Yakuro (his backings, not his lead sounds) New World Music composers (the Brit. New Age label) Real Music, you know the kinda stuff, all over YouTube.

Thing IS - my disability DAW's 32-bit and isn't going to be updated because the guy doing it can't ba a**ed, basically. And I use notation, and can't find a 64-bit notation package that I get on with as well sho I'm shtuck! Please, anyone know of anything with lovely pad sound presets, like any of the above artists (or similar, Edward Simoni's another one) use all the time? I know lots of them have been around since full-on 32-bit days so there's gotta be pad VSTs out there, I'm hopeless at programming. Anyone know anything with lovely paddy presets?

Karunesh... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRm66DB1bKQ

Yellow Brick Cinema https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osb028rIHsg if I could get my hands on sounds like theirs - and they've been going since full-on 32-bit days, their sounds unchanging - I'd be in hog heaven.

Can't afford Omnisphere, besides it's got about 80gig of sounds I'd never use. Just a lovely collection of pads?

Yours hopefully,

Chris, who doesn't even know what VST to buy and has a BUNCH of utterly useless ones to prove it (INCLUDING UVI WORKSTATION - the workstation itself is the biz - works fine in 32-bit - the sounds are more overpriced than Applemac Computers!!!)

KVRAF
3371 posts since 20 Feb, 2004

Post Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:11 pm

HG Fortune's stuff may be exactly what you're looking for.
A well-behaved signature.

KVRAF
1721 posts since 10 Mar, 2004

Post Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:48 pm


KVRAF
8224 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Post Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:13 pm

https://plugins4free.com/ you can view ratings, search by type etc. Use the pages OS Filter to eliminate all but the 32 bit windows plugins.

Keep in mind that effects are an important part of pads, so having versatile reverbs, subtle distortions, slow delays, rich chorus, well controlled phaser/flanger, filters and their sweeps etc is a gig plus/ BlueCat have a nice free effects bundle in 32 or 64 bit at

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/B ... ewarePack/

Here are some synths for pads,
ART Pyrite
M42
M51
Enceladus
EVM Occam
MinimogueLUXUS
DSK Ethereal Padz
DSK ChoirZ
DSK Zith
Synth1 is at the link;

https://plugins4free.com/plugin/245/

(there is a 16,000 sound collection there for synth1, utilizing a .zip file which the synth reads, and displays the many contained soundsets in the proprietary Synth1 preset selector. Should be several good youtube videos for guidance. Most of the sets are color-coded, so finding the pads should be easy, once familiar. Well worth the effort.
Good luck!

KVRian
970 posts since 3 Oct, 2011 from Christchurch, New Zealand

Post Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:22 pm

have a look at fullbucket's tricent and the fb series, for rich retro sounding pads they're great (and free) - all you need on top is a suitably epic reverb and you're good to go

KVRAF
4186 posts since 17 Aug, 2004

Post Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:51 pm

You are not stuck in anything. You can find latest modern instruments which are 64-bit and you can still use them in your 32 bit host, or at least you can or you should trial them before you buy them.

https://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/

Above solution is really cheap (15 EUR) and it will essentially provide you with the option to run 64 bit plugins in 32 bit environment (or vice versa).

I am going to emphasize again - trial bridged plugins before you buy them.

Good luck.

Regards

KVRAF
5738 posts since 9 Jul, 2002 from Helsinki

Post Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:58 pm

JerGoertz wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:11 pm
HG Fortune's stuff may be exactly what you're looking for.
This. You can find them here https://plugins4free.com/dev/46/

They are free and just plain incredible pad machines, including very well designed presets.

KVRist
142 posts since 18 Jan, 2014

Post Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:41 pm

Zynaddsubfx (free) is great for pads,Synth choirs,strings and all Synth sounds.some pad Demos here https://zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.io/doc/ ... Dsynth.htm
Other free synths for pads, Angelina by bigtick,Dexed-Dx7 emulation.
Zebralette, Triple cheese from Uhe.
Crystal by Greenoak, various synths by Krakli- http://www.krakliplugins.com/Plugins.aspx
Physical modelling synths by Ugo(String theory,M-theory)

User avatar
KVRAF
6530 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:58 am

Sonic Charge Cyclone could be what you are looking for. There are loads of sounds out there, just google it. It does however come with a decent amount of sounds though, and Layzer (A member here) shared a large collection of sounds for Cyclone. Just do search here on kvr.
EnergyXT3 - Reaper | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

KVRist
107 posts since 13 Jul, 2021

Post Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:30 am

.jon wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:58 pm
JerGoertz wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:11 pm
HG Fortune's stuff may be exactly what you're looking for.
This. You can find them here https://plugins4free.com/dev/46/

They are free and just plain incredible pad machines, including very well designed presets.
On very first inspection many of the free Synths are outstanding.
Trouble is most of them were crippled in a horrible way that nobody ever talks about.
Some of the free versions of some of their Synths sounded fantastic imo.

User avatar
KVRAF
6530 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:00 am

Most New Age/New Wave just use normal synths though don't they? Or maybe those artists that you mentioned uses something else? I love New Age/Wave, especially Enigma, and they use, as far as i can tell, normal synthesizers e.g Jupiter 60 etc.
EnergyXT3 - Reaper | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

KVRAF
3371 posts since 20 Feb, 2004

Post Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:02 am

8)
Halonmusic wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:00 am
Most New Age/New Wave just use normal synths though don't they? Or maybe those artists that you mentioned uses something else? I love New Age/Wave, especially Enigma, and they use, as far as i can tell, normal synthesizers e.g Jupiter 60 etc.
Conceivably any synth could be used to make ambient music (just put a great big reverb after it), but some have features which are more suited to the task.
A well-behaved signature.

User avatar
KVRAF
6530 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:17 am

JerGoertz wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:02 am
8)
Halonmusic wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:00 am
Most New Age/New Wave just use normal synths though don't they? Or maybe those artists that you mentioned uses something else? I love New Age/Wave, especially Enigma, and they use, as far as i can tell, normal synthesizers e.g Jupiter 60 etc.
Conceivably any synth could be used to make ambient music (just put a great big reverb after it), but some have features which are more suited to the task.
Yes that is true but what features would that be exactly? I've seen someone mention H-G Fortune's synths which are excellent for pad-ish sounds but what else though?
EnergyXT3 - Reaper | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

KVRAF
3371 posts since 20 Feb, 2004

Post Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:50 pm

Halonmusic wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:17 am
JerGoertz wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:02 am
8)
Halonmusic wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:00 am
Most New Age/New Wave just use normal synths though don't they? Or maybe those artists that you mentioned uses something else? I love New Age/Wave, especially Enigma, and they use, as far as i can tell, normal synthesizers e.g Jupiter 60 etc.
Conceivably any synth could be used to make ambient music (just put a great big reverb after it), but some have features which are more suited to the task.
Yes that is true but what features would that be exactly? I've seen someone mention H-G Fortune's synths which are excellent for pad-ish sounds but what else though?
Things like several lfo's which can be extensively routed, flexible envelopes, several filters, built-in reverb and delay with modulation, a variety of somewhat unusual waveforms. These things could make a synth particularly well-suited for ambient music. Other (non-free) synths with many of these features would be Absynth, Zebra, and Tranzistow.
A well-behaved signature.

KVRian
628 posts since 28 Jul, 2006

Post Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:38 pm

Dune 3.

Return to “Instruments”