ARNE - house of rising sun [progressive house]

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://youtu.be/3DtPK9TKME0

Hi guys, everyone, just want to share with you my new work, a slightly progressive house track with synthetic leads, a light mood and a funny video that I edited from retro disco shots from the 70s.
I wrote this track in Studio One 5, leads, plucks, midrange bass was made on UHE Hive 2 synthesizer, low-frequency bass in Serum synthesizer, atmospheric pads and other textures I took from Omnisphere, main kick drum from KICK 2.
The channel processing was mostly FabFilter and Studio One devices. Mastering with Slate Digital, Softube Weiss and Pro-L2 master limiter.
Feedback are welcome, thanks for your time!

The video doesn't really work in my opinion. Would have preferred a random winamp plugin.
But the track works very well as a progressive house.
Good use of Hive!

I like the track. The kick is just a little soft for my taste. I think it could also have a little more sub underneath it to make it really thump.
eassae.com
“I do nothing professionally, I do everything for fun.”—Prince, Under the Cherry Moon

Very nice track indeed. Good groove and nice mellow and hypnotic synths. I agree that the kick/bass might have somewhat more power in the lows though.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

eassae wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:27 pm I like the track. The kick is just a little soft for my taste. I think it could also have a little more sub underneath it to make it really thump.
recursive one wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:44 pm Very nice track indeed. Good groove and nice mellow and hypnotic synths. I agree that the kick/bass might have somewhat more power in the lows though.
thanks for feedback guys, interesting opinion about the low frequencies in the kick, because I did mixing mainly in the headphones Senh HD650 and as you know they do not have enough low frequencies, but when I did this track, I did not want to overload the bottom, I tried to make the most accurate frequency response for better tolerance of the mix. But maybe the kick should be added a little bit more power.

That's a great job mixing in the headphone! Really love how you orchestrate the transition of space and focus.

ARNEPASCAL wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:03 pm
eassae wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:27 pm I like the track. The kick is just a little soft for my taste. I think it could also have a little more sub underneath it to make it really thump.
recursive one wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:44 pm Very nice track indeed. Good groove and nice mellow and hypnotic synths. I agree that the kick/bass might have somewhat more power in the lows though.
thanks for feedback guys, interesting opinion about the low frequencies in the kick, because I did mixing mainly in the headphones Senh HD650 and as you know they do not have enough low frequencies, but when I did this track, I did not want to overload the bottom, I tried to make the most accurate frequency response for better tolerance of the mix. But maybe the kick should be added a little bit more power.
Yeah, definitely sounds great for a headphone mix, and I understand not wanting to overload the bottom end. I've made the mistake of putting too much low end in mixes in the past because I didn't have anything that could produce those low frequencies, so I think your approach is better.

Have you ever used anything like izotope tonal balance control?
eassae.com
“I do nothing professionally, I do everything for fun.”—Prince, Under the Cherry Moon

eassae wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:39 pm
No, I didn't use anything like Izotope Tonal for analysis, only Voxengo SPAN spectrum analyzer with a 3dB analyzer curve setting

ARNEPASCAL wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:03 pm did mixing mainly in the headphones Senh HD650
If you're using those for mixing...yes, they're reasonably balanced across the frequency spectrum and have decent clarity without any doubt, but...

Like a lot of headphones primarily aimed at the home listening for pleasure market, they have

1) A slight 'notch' at around 4 - 7 kHz to take any perceived harshness out of the sound.

2) They enhance the main lower frequency area and also the lower mids as well to add a little extra punch and energy to what you're listening to.

Just be aware of that!?

Personally, I never just mix on headphones if I can avoid it...yeah, frequency response can be adjusted for with benchmarking tracks etc, but the one issue I always find that people misjudge on phones a little bit is the Stereo field and also sometimes the 3D soundstage.

I thoroughly enjoyed the track - some well-organized, interesting musical ideas in there; some great sound combos and textures and generally well produced.

Two very small points struck me...

Production-wise, is there a slight hole in the centre of the mix at times in the mid and high frequencies...quite common when you only mix on cans as the tendency is to overspread everything until you sometimes end up with an almost binaural soundstage, especially if there is plenty of depth to the mix as well.

Musically - I just wanted a soaring, hook of a lead line over all the great textural work just to lift it all to the next level.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

ChameleonMusic wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:01 pm
ARNEPASCAL wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:03 pm did mixing mainly in the headphones Senh HD650
If you're using those for mixing...yes, they're reasonably balanced across the frequency spectrum and have decent clarity without any doubt, but...

Like a lot of headphones primarily aimed at the home listening for pleasure market, they have

1) A slight 'notch' at around 4 - 7 kHz to take any perceived harshness out of the sound.

2) They enhance the main lower frequency area and also the lower mids as well to add a little extra punch and energy to what you're listening to.

Just be aware of that!?

Personally, I never just mix on headphones if I can avoid it...yeah, frequency response can be adjusted for with benchmarking tracks etc, but the one issue I always find that people misjudge on phones a little bit is the Stereo field and also sometimes the 3D soundstage.

I thoroughly enjoyed the track - some well-organized, interesting musical ideas in there; some great sound combos and textures and generally well produced.

Two very small points struck me...

Production-wise, is there a slight hole in the centre of the mix at times in the mid and high frequencies...quite common when you only mix on cans as the tendency is to overspread everything until you sometimes end up with an almost binaural soundstage, especially if there is plenty of depth to the mix as well.

Musically - I just wanted a soaring, hook of a lead line over all the great textural work just to lift it all to the next level.
Thank you for such a detailed analysis.
Of course doing a full-fledged track from sound design to final mixing and mastering is more like utopia, but still I'm used to working this way and 80% use headphones, besides Senh HD650, I also have cheap Hi-Fi headphones, which are good bass.
The remaining 20% is listening to "monitor" acoustics, they are also cheap devices JBL 305P mkII, in them I adjust the tonal balance, and reverb, if necessary. The room in which I make music as my hobby is not acoustically designed and there is no possibility to make this acoustiq envirement there, so most of the work is done with headphones.

ARNEPASCAL wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:48 pm
eassae wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:39 pm
No, I didn't use anything like Izotope Tonal for analysis, only Voxengo SPAN spectrum analyzer with a 3dB analyzer curve setting
I'm not familiar with SPAN, but balance control helped me in the past. Overall though, cool track.
eassae.com

Return to “Music Cafe”